Towing a Noelex

Hi all,

I'm thinking of buying a Noelex 22, but I'm a little worried about it's weight. I have a Subaru Forester (2.0L), and would likely have a very long drive to get it home. Is anybody towing their Noelex with a 4 cylinder 2 L engine (or smaller)?

Thanks,

Mike

It's got nothing much to do with the engine power. It is about the manufactures recomended towing weight and the ability to stop. You have to be able to stop within 7m from 30Km/hr, when the towed gross laden weight is under 2000Kg. Over 2000Kg has different rules.

Most cars don't have a very high unbraked tow rating and not even a great rating when bracked.

A trailer that has a gross laden weight over 2000Kg has to have brakes.

2500Kg has to have brakes that are independantly controlled from the cab of the tow vehicle.

Then the next crunch is the Combined Laden weight of the towing vehicle and trailer/boat. Over 4500Kg and you now have to have a class 2 HT licence. So some 4WD's are 2500Kg on their own, then you add passengers, fuel, luggage and a boat, and you could go over.

Well the theory suggests you should be OK although you should refer to your specific owner's manual to get the towing limit of your specific car cos it seems to vary by age, regiong and the braking system of the trailer.... but with a N22 weighing under 800kg and the limit apparently well over 1 tonne, it sounds like you shuld be OK esp if you took it easy. But if you are concerned about a one-off delivery journey then maybe borrowing/renting a larger vehicle might be the answer?

we use to tow one with a 2.0ltr mk 4 cortina.

the weigh a little under 750kg from memory plus what ever the trailer weighs.

they did have a web page a while back

Just realise that in regards to the law requirements I stated above, you could posibly tow the boat, but should you ever have an accident, just make sure you fit within all those requirements, or they can prsicute you and you may not be insured.

If you have a long tow, make sure the trailer tyres are up to it. I bought a trailer sailer in Kaikohe and towed it back to Cambridge. Both tyres gave out in Auckland (the rubber and the ply came apart). They were brand new tyres but were cheap 4ply tyres. OK for getting to the local boat ramp and back but for a long trip you need proper 8ply trailer tyres.

The 7m at 30 km/hr equates to about 1/2 g deceleration or 5m/s/s. It takes a good car to brake at 1 g but will most likely be about .75 g. Garages use a 'deceleration meter" (Don't know it's real name) when you get a WOF they measure the braking performance.

If your vehicle weighs 1500kg the maximum weight of an unbraked trailer that can be stopped within the rules would therefore be 750kg. The weight of a Noelex 22 can vary alot depending if it a stripped out racer or a cruiser filled with gear. I think the one I crewed on weighed 1200kg on the trailer.

Before I bought my last boat I got it put over a weigh bridge. It is not too hard to organise.

Having said that I would not mind towing a N22 with a Forester, I would just drive more carefully - but of course our roads down here are good and there is not much traffic. :)

To save blowing out the tyres on a heavy trailer make sure that they are well inflated - about 40 psi. I went through 3 tyres after about 100km from them overheating when under inflated (slow learner) :oops: .

Archived