10 45ft Cats on the Harbour

wheels

My apologies if this has already been posted on crew somewhere.

I just spied it on "Stuff"

A little slice of contemporary America's Cup history was created in Auckland yesterday.

The first of 10 45-foot catamarans was assembled in Team New Zealand's old Viaduct Harbour base and, weather permitting, is to be launched on the Waitemata tomorrow.

It may be several thousand miles from the cup venue of San Francisco in 2013. But it was a poignant moment nonetheless; the first tangible example – at least here in New Zealand – that the America's Cup is truly back on track; that money is being pumped back into building race yachts here again.

The AC45 cats will be sailed in what were commonly known as the cup pre-regattas, rebranded the America's Cup World Series.

They're a scale version of the AC72 cup cats.

Ten of them will be built in Warkworth by Core Builders, the first going to America's Cup Race Management, who commissioned it to, among other things, illustrate to potential challengers that the new cats, complete with wing sail, can be built quickly and efficiently.

The build process – often shrouded in secrecy in America's Cups – has also been open to inspection by rival teams. And, yes, that includes Emirates Team New Zealand, which has been an interested observer during the process, the likes of skipper Dean Barker and his right-hand sailing man, Ray Davies, calling in to monitor progress.

So far Team New Zealand has not said whether they will compete in the cup. Team boss Grant Dalton is reluctant to do so until he has enough money in the bank to mount a credible campaign.

While that will be easier said than done, it is widely expected they will.

And when they do, they are expected to build one of their own AC45s.

The six syndicates who have confirmed their challenge in 2013, plus a couple who intend to compete in the one after, have converged on Auckland for the launch – among them, notably, Tom Schnackenberg for Swedish team Artemis Racing. They will rotate by roster sailing time on the first boat so as to get a feel for the new 20m wing sail, which weighs just 300kg, and is expected to help the AC45s reach speeds of 20 knots "in the right conditions". That's quick, not to mention not for the faint-hearted.

Tim Smyth of Core Builders helped build the massive wing which Oracle used to win the cup off Alinghi in Valencia last year. Core has employed 50 people to complete the order by June, and it has been a welcome shot in the arm for the marine industry.

The whole project has been farmed out to local boat-body builders, he said.

"It's been able to happen because we have good boat-building infrastructure in this country."

Hope to reach 20 knots in the right conditions!!!

That would place them about 8th in your average Wednesday night race. Have the media been contracted out to student job search this year?

:) Saw that myself and thought Monos were doing 20 in the 70's, hasn't technology moved forward? Yeap, it has so just more crap reporting.

And launching one boat means the AC isn't a f*ck up???? I think it'll take more than one boat before anyone knows.

Just looking at some of the just been Javelin Inter-dominion replays, they fitted transponders to 10 of the fleet in Melbourne.

P-Rizzle in OrgasmAddict (a NZ boat, finished 6th) was clocked in excess of 21kts. Dave and Craig were top NZ boat finishing second, would have been 1st but they had a shocker of a last race. Bugger.

One would expect a 45ft winged cat to beat a Jav.

Can we please just assume that the media is correct and my 3.7 will give them a run for their money "in the right conditions"? I know it isn't true, but it makes me feel good.

Thanks.

A very impressive sight to watch sailing. We watched on the first sail on Monday. I believe the speeds I was quoted by the team boss was 18 knots to windward and 35 knots off the wind as design speeds. It all looked fast to me being a person who sails 20 tons of long keel cruising yacht. I look frward to more great sights. Great its all being built and done in NZ.

Archived