Westhaven-Bayswater Marina Berth wanted

smithy09

careful with the inline rig.
My biggest worry!

Thanks SD. Everyone I talk to loves her. I just hope I can keep her in one piece! :crazy: :crazy: The previous owners are pretty good yachties..

Nice boat Smithy, very nice.

Good luck finding a 14m at Westhaven for under $550 per month though - I was paying just over $800 (renting directly off the marina office) until I decided that was getting a bit rich for me

Congrats Smithy, looks awesome. Think I'ver got a couple of pics of her underway in some races a couple of yrs back - will look them out if I can.

When do you plan to get back to NZ to sail her?

And the prick is possibly parking it next to me...... just to piss me off.

I hope he fills the cellar before he goes... Opps, I have to stop thinking out loud.... just so the boat's already to go when he gets back of course :twisted:

Thanks AC. Still in NZ. Trial sail Fri night. Probably get a few days sailing before I am back overseas, then back in April to get the last of Summer in.

And KM, if the missus had her way, (and we had a spare lazy $2 mill) we would have been your next door neigbours as well!! :D :D

I will be putting an extra padlock on her...

careful with the inline rig.

Talk me through this. Is it to do with the runners?

OK, correct me if I'm wrong here:

Yes, every time you tack or gybe, you have to let off one set of runners and crank on the other set. They give major support to the mast, as it is fractional with in line spreaders. With swept spreaders, the backstay (if any) doesn't have so much work to do as the spreaders and aft located sidestays hold up the rig.

Downwind this is especially critical, particularly with a masthead kite. Lose a runner, or don't have it cranked on hard and you can lose a rig. Last complication is that if you Chinese gybe, you can get pinned on the old windward runner which doesn't allow the main to go across...

All fun.

When I asked Leslie (previous owner) about, she said it "added to the adventure" :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: But she is a few skill levels above me...

I guess it depends whether you plan to race or cruise mainly. Could you get the best of both worlds by having a (removable) central masthead backstay for cruising purposes - or would that not work cos it needs to be lower down bang opposite the fractional forestay?

it would need runners to stop the rig pumping in a sea way but my guess is that the boom is too long and/or it has a big square top main so a fixed backstay wont fit

It's got a fixed backstay as well, but that doesn't support the opposing load from the forestay 3/4 the way up the mast...... Not ideal for cruising AC, for sure, but everything is a bit of a compromise, and my budget was limited. The rest of the boat is a cracker.....

I'm just a novice with fractional rigs, but also to pull against the forestay... Then you can use the backstay to remove some power from the main via freeing off the leach.. Just guessing here though..

With most fractional inline rigs on boats like these and the Mumm 36 etc the rig section is pretty light weight fore and aft. Meaning that the top mast backstay wont be enough to hold the mast up without the runners, the rig will just bend and go spagetti.

Thats where the runners and checkstays come in trying to keep the rig straight fore and aft, more or less checkstay flatens or fills the main up quite nicely.

One thing with rigs like this is that masthead kites are safer than fractional kites for cruising as the majority of the load is opposed directly by the topmast backstay and the runners arent really doing a lot.

The reasoning behind rigs like this is that they are incredibly tuneably both fore and aft and side to side, The sidestay load is directly sideways making it pretty adjustable and seperate from front to back. And the runners etc can bend or straighten the mast and adjust forestay tension directly.

Well done Smithy. You now own one fantastic machine. The Ross 40 is a weapon, a go anywhere boat, and The Marshall is a minta! Swap ya?

Don't stress about runners. You will get the hang of em. Tacking on the wind, the rig ain't gonna fall down if the runner isn't on as the mainsheet will hold it all up, just no forestay tension, so low and slow and ugly. Downwind the backstay will hold it all together. Your an engineer, its basic triangles blah blah...However there is the tangle with boom, runner, check stay, backstay and rum bucket which can make it interesting.

Archived