collisions on the harbour while racing

Its a difficult concept Grina, but dont worry you are in good company in your confusion.

Brucey, you may want to consider reading this book "How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie" :wink:

To me this looks like a case of dumb and dumber. It was dumb for the RIB to be parked there but it was dumber to try and barge the line knowing that the RIB was already parked there.

From my limited understanding of Col regs, I think Brucey in his own way has a valid point. The RIB was out of the way up until RB changed direction at the last moment. It also tried to avoid the collision but could not do so in time. IMHO there is going to be proportional blame but with the greater majority sitting with RB. The bigger risk for RB is that the repair costs of the RIB may be higher than that of his yacht and so might end up owing the Squadron some money!

Farrari, it was dumb for the RIB to be parked there without someone keeping a bloody close eye on what was happening and being ready to get the hell outa Dodge if/when a boat bailed above the ODM. There has to be a recognition that at a start the hypothetical situation described can and sometimes does happen (whether it should or not) so the RIB (as a power boat obliged to keep clear of boats under sail) should have been fully prepared to move quickly if necessary.

Hence the question to Brucey about his "idiots in the start line whos situational awareness is so poor, their boat handeling so inept and their ability to foresee and pre-empt dangerous situations so non-existant" comment and whether that did not equally apply to the RIB crew. Brucey, however, was too busy being a cock to bother answering that question or explain why he doesn't consider the RIB crew should shoulder any responsibility for the collision at all.

Brucey I must apologise, I did read one of your previous posts a tad wrong. Yes I would think a Judge would consider those Regs you quoted in with everything else, as they should.

And before some one chimes in yes S2 did have obligations to keep clear, and by positioning herself where she did she had every reason to think she had done so. How were they to forsee such inept helming?

I'm lead to believe it was a RNZYS patrol boat.

Are you suggesting that was the only race start the Squaddy, NZ's arguably most experienced yacht club, and you have ever seen that has hasn't been anything but perfect, hence where they parked would never be a potential issue?

If you'd like to answer 'Yes', you may as well answer 'I am a total dickhead who shouldn't be on any water space larger than a bathtub'. Either that or you just have never seen many yacht race starts.

So in a perfect world

1) the OOD would have set a line with at least 15 deg of bias coz he knew full well a n unbiased line would have caused a traffic jam.

2) if the Race Committee really wanted the RIB there (was it really necessary or were they just spectators?) then it would have been mentioned in the SI's

3) the RIB would be several boats lengths clear of the mark so boats forced up would have somewhere to go

4) the RIB would position itself stern to the racers and then there would never be ay question as to who had to keep clear (all the race boats would have been overtaking)

5) TWU would have seen all these errors early and made the decision to bail out in plenty of time

Then he could have complained and probably would have gotten the same response

I give up.

BTW Brucey, if you are going to rubbish our "professional mariners" and their hard won qualifications you had better impress us with your own CV.

Guest Rocket

Whether or not the RIB should be there or not is irrelevant - he was there stopped and the racer changed course (late) and hit him.

As to pointing his bow the wrong way - RIBs hang of their motor like all fizzies - if you stop in a fizzy the bow will eventually point downwind.

If I am not mistaken it would be quite unsafe not to have RIBs around multis (don't all real multis come with a couple?)

Are we done yet - what can we get too next? I sort of feel we are missing an opportunity fo some angst over on the Shorttalk thread - brucey tried to start it...

Guest Brucey

I'm a thinking dead horse and all that.

Answers in order,

Farrari, read the book, good if you want to manipulate people but I believe in telling people when you think they are wrong, not pussyfooting.

Grina, me not answering, one of us is fucked up here, either I havent written it ten times or you cant read. And lets stop calling it hyperthetical, this was a real collision with real people at risk.

K Me, no not all "Perfect starts", just most others bail above the pin, not over it and the observer, but it seems if you wait long enough there is one in every crowd!

Squid, no need to change the start line, just that the competitors are aware of options and obligations when above the laylines.

And sorry no Quals. but I would rather impress with fact and logic than CV's, usually more pertinant to the discusion i feel.

Well I'm over this one now, but if RB wants to test his and the blind faith clubs theory in the Maritime courts, I'll give you guys 25 points start (75% TWU plays 25% S2) in a two case of rum wager?

Takers?

I'm a thinking dead horse and all that.

You aren't alone :lol: :lol: :lol:

K Me, no not all "Perfect starts", just most others bail above the pin, not over it and the observer, but it seems if you wait long enough there is one in every crowd!

As an observation only - Maybe it is time all SI's had the Official boat bit in them as standard. I'm sure if everyone was aware a boat maybe parked on the pin they will give themselves more room or time to knot smack it. If one arrives randomly you just might knot realise until.... BANG. The old theory of if you are sailing hard by something hard you are more cautious than if you know there is clear space to run off into should you over cook something.

As an aside I just got the SI's for a PCC Series and noticed it has a section on Official boats in it.

Well I'm over this one now, but if RB wants to test his and the blind faith clubs theory in the Maritime courts, I'll give you guys 25 points start (75% TWU plays 25% S2) in a two case of rum wager?

Takers?

It would be good to get a ruling one way or the other but it's knot going to happen with this one I would expect. Probably cause more collateral drama than it's worth.

But with the number of views I'm sure someone legal minded has seen it and may offer an opinion.

But it's been a fun one for sure and quite interesting in many ways.

Archived