2011 SSANZ RNI Leg 2

splashprincess

ok squid - will do. Might be a bit tardy on Sunday as I'm doing BBYC Single-hander but should be good for the rest of the time :)

EE

Thanks Peter, I'll emaill you the url's

From Fineline Yacht Racing -

Just spoke to H & all is well on Fineline. They are about 10km North of NP & looking forward to some smoother sailing once they get round the corner past Opunake & can start reaching (expecting 14-16 knots s/w). The seas are still a bit lumpy but not as bad as they have been. They have an as yet undiagnosed leak but it's nothing major & they're confident they can leave it to Wgtn & deal with it then.

As we motor down the harbour it started to leak about half as fast as yesterday so if it dosn't get any worse we will head for Tutakaka tonight and Akl tomorrow fingers crossed.

Danaide I am in Auckland today for work, returning home to Tut late afternoon/early evening, if there is any gear or person you want brought up, probably best to phone me 0274-979 996 and I will deliver it to you at the marina.

Anyone in direct contact with Danaide during the day is welcome to pass the message on.

Cheers,

Murray

Edit: Marina landline is 09-4343 441 if you are wanting to book in there. Cold beer on tap at the pizzeria, the gamefishing club and Schnappa Rock. Rum supplies at the general store (never seen Mt Gay there unfortunately) - if it is an emergency I will let you know how to get some off our boat. :wink:

Masthead kite down. Full main and light number 1 headsail by the looks. Masthead kite was in a southerly on port gybe heading straight at the finish. Now in a northerly on starboard tack aiming for Kaiwharawhara, with Halswell light dead astern.

From the good people at SSANZ...

25 Feb 2011

Akatea ghosted into Wellington Harbour to finish the second leg of the SSANZ Round North Island race well ahead of its competition, around 3pm today.

After a fast ride down the Kapiti coast, Akatea sat becalmed off Point Jerningham in Wellington Harbour for about half an hour before picking up the lightest of breezes and crossing the finish line.

The second-place boat, M1, is expected later tonight but the fleet is well spread out down the west coast, with the backmarkers still off Raglan.

Ends.

And from Shaw Yacht Design...

Akatea has finished in very light conditions, M1 expected in later this evening and hopefully the KP overnight.

Ends.

Matt and I crossed the Manakau Bar this afternoon in Mr. Roosevelt. It's been a long slog back in on the mastless yacht from quite a way out to sea.

We were cruising along very happily on Wednesday and were really enjoying the sail. The seas were lumpy but the wind wasn't fresh and the boat and crew were going very nicely. We couldn't be happier with how it was all going - the conditions weren't as bad as many other races we've done.

At 2200 hrs we got into a rough patch and after a wee slam - nothing more than we'd had earlier - the cap shroud fitting sheared and the top of the mast fell over. Before we could get to anything the lower let go and the whole rig was over the side. All we could do was cut it all free, having a hole in the hull 60 miles out to sea didn't bear thinking about.

Getting back in was a mission. The coastguard, Taupo and Auckland marine radio, Evan at Manakau Marine Radio and Nick from Team Effort were awesome. Qudos to David the race manager too for keeping our loved ones informed.

We're absolutely gutted to be out of the race. We were very well prepared and we put a lot into it. We knew we'd do well in the Wellington leg, and we were so up for sailing into our old home town.

It's too early to really get our heads around it - for now we're stoked to get the boat and ourselves back in one piece.

We wish the best of luck to the competitors that remain in the race and we offer our condolences to other crews who have had to retire.

Archived