BMW Entrys

B00B00

Are their any other D Division (Light displacement) boats going to do it? At the moment there is one SR and a sports boat, I was going to enter but not worth the money to race one other SR... Who else is thinking about it or sitting on the fence?

I just published the latest newsletter on the home page. In it there is this:

Entry to the BMW Sailing Cup is now by invitation, and not by divisional winner of the BMW Auckland Regatta as in the past. This is a change in format from previous years.

* Invitations will be given to four skippers who compete in the 2011 BMW Auckland Regatta. Two of these skippers will be nominated by RNZYS and two by BBYC

* Other invitations will be at the discretion of BMW, the intention is to give priority to skippers representing BMW Dealerships throughout New Zealand, with any further invitations going to Regional and/or Auckland yacht clubs.

What do you think of this idea? I know it would put me off entering and in my humble opinion they may have just killed the whole regatta.

Or am I lone voice in the wind???

Guest Rocket

Agree looks like a pretty good way to reduce interest - that and the midweek nature...

I certainly would prefer the extra regattas to be done over several weekends - whatever happened to a few Olympic tracks, an intermediate followed by a long race. Could fit it all in two weekends...

150 miler start Friday night

W/L or similar sprint type races - get 5 away on the Sunday

250 miler start following Friday night

Prizegiving Sunday pm

Job done...

I just published the latest newsletter on the home page. In it there is this:

Entry to the BMW Sailing Cup is now by invitation, and not by divisional winner of the BMW Auckland Regatta as in the past. This is a change in format from previous years.

* Invitations will be given to four skippers who compete in the 2011 BMW Auckland Regatta. Two of these skippers will be nominated by RNZYS and two by BBYC

* Other invitations will be at the discretion of BMW, the intention is to give priority to skippers representing BMW Dealerships throughout New Zealand, with any further invitations going to Regional and/or Auckland yacht clubs.

What do you think of this idea? I know it would put me off entering and in my humble opinion they may have just killed the whole regatta.

Or am I lone voice in the wind???

Yeah that is pretty gay and takes the whole idea of the regatta away from a few people. As both those yacht clubs know who they will put forward before the regatta even begins. Although in saying that last year was a shambles for that part of it too with all sorts of people jumping on last minute as people didnt do it etc.

I'm not impressed by the change and I was pretty disappointed with what happened last year when other teams were "invited" as opposed to "qualifying". To me it seemed a set up to make sure NZ went on to win the International part of the regatta.

Well at least it is all out in the open before we start this year !

(Wonder if working for Honda rules me out of the BMW nomination ?)

Cameron, it wasn't just seeming like a setup, it was explicitly stated at the event that 'we're doing this.....we want to make sure we win'.

And where does that get us? Long term BMW and the rest of the world would have got bored and stopped coming here [i note that winning hasn't actually got us the hosting rights again anyway], and as a local do we want to win and get to sail an MRX? No, we want to win and go to Europe to kick some butt.

Last years mess wasn't the smartest move by those in charge I don't think. BMW fairly enough would have figured that the guys getting through were not really their target market for advertising and have no doubt realigned things to match.

BMW have been pretty good backing the regatta and good on them for doing so. But defining the rules early is always useful - I guess we just have to go with an open mind and have faith that BMW will select what they consider the most appropriate boats.

I think a bigger worry not listed in the rules quoted here is the over 25 requirement for all crew for the Cup. Skipper or 'most' of the crew for sure, but to kill off all the younger guys seems a bit limiting. And no mention of Grades this year?

With only 9 BMW dealerships in NZ, [and several seem to have the same principal] I'm not sure how this bit works - is there going to be a que of yachties lining up and bending over offering to 'represent' the dealership?

I just read that release to my wife (who has no interest in racing whatsoever), she laughed till she cried then asked me "how can they call it a race if the winner is chosen by a committee?"

Agree on the under 25 bit, I missed that I was so incensed at the rest of it. By 25 I had stopped racing (after 17 years) and gone cruising.

Who would take days off work and spend money to sail in a regatta where winning the semis won't get you into the finals?

Maybe these are the same people responsible for our olympic selection process.

Guest Rocket

Not sure what is wrong with Olympic selection proces these days - seems we get the best crews in there - I believe they have moved away from the "annointed one" approach that used to be prevalent. Certainly in the lasers they support and encourage quite a number of competitors and run selection process over a number of regattas - survival of the fittest etc.

We'll save that for another thread Rocket (think Sharon Ferris).

Meanwhile here's the current entry list, I'll watch it with interest

8.5 Multihull

Whio [1st entry recieved]

Predictwind.com

Voom

Borderline

Rental

Open Multihull

Charleston

Exodus

Division A

Tirade

BMW Yachtsport

Bullrush

Division B

Surething

Notorious

House of Elliot

River Rebel

Future Feedback

Division C

First by Farr

Division D

Rattle N Rum

Smoke Wagon

Division E

Sea Legs

Division L

Power Play

Georgia One

Farr 1020

Max Headroom

Share Delight

Azure

Rainbow IV

Young 88

Outrageous

Dangerzone

Sister Moonshine

Wonder what the 25yo bit is about??

We looked at the BMW but struggled with the paperwork, 1/3 was about the boat and crew, 2/3rds appeared to be some sort of motoring survey :)

At the end of the day BMW is chucking in big bucks so I suppose they do get to call the shots to a large degree. Knot to sure I'd be happy being picked to Rep if I didn't place though but that's a each to their own thing I suppose.

Stop making excuses KM. If you struggle with the big words get your kids to tick the boxes.

Why won't people just get out and race!!!

Coz even if you win the semis, you don't get into the finals. Whoever heard of a race where the winner was chosen by a committee after the event (or maybe before).

Because it's 3 days of great sailing & racing!

OK, so the Cup stage may be a bit screwy, but if you go out there race hard and look the part - who knows.

I guess everyone is sitting at home hiding and waiting for the SSANZ series so they can come out and moan about PHRF again.

Can someone explain the reasoning behind the 25 yr age limit.

Maybe there should also be an upper age limit - no one over 50. And let's ban women and coloured people while we are at it.

Why not address a polite enquiry to the organising authority? I am sure that they will explain the rationale behind the limitation.

That sort of enquiry will probably achieve much far than idle and ill-informed speculation.

Guest mental outlook

I can only imagine the 25 year old thing is that they don't see a whole lot of under 25's buying a BMW. The whole things reeks of corporate w#nk to me. From a PR point of view they have had a shocker. Hopefully Audi might come to the party for next year.

Dunno if you guys are aware, there's been an earthquake in NZ somewhere (google it) That on top of an economic depression will mean the chances of any event, sporting or charitable (outside earthquake recovery) finding sponsorship in the future about zero.

So go ahead, bag BMW, next year you'll be moaning about the lack of regatta racing in NZ.

Frankly I'm surprised they are still there.

I have just got off the phone with the charming lady who holds the title of event manager. I put two questions to her

!) What is the reason behind the 25 yr age limit

2) Why the change from divisional winners sailing off in MRX's to "invitation only"?

She discussed it with me and has promised a written version of her answers for me to publish very soon.

Stand by.

Archived