BMW Entrys

B00B00

More from the RNZYS site

BMW Sailing Cup NZL - Grant Turnbull WINS

Turnbull finished first in the fleet racing and then went onto win the Match Racing round robin - 3 - 0.

The winner of the New Zealand BMW Sailing Cup will go to the 2011 BMW Sailing Cup International Final held in Cascaias Portugal from the 31st May to 5th June.

Final Results

1st Grant Turnbull

2nd Phil Douglas

3rd Phil Yuill

4th Cameron Thorpe

5th Zane Gifford

6th Murray Gilbert

For further information view www.bmwaucklandregatta.co.nz

Ok it over but has anybody learn't anything.

dubdubdub bmw does not tell you anything, we get the info from here.

Or from the squadron.

Negatives and positives whatever but i bet next year it will again clash with multiple other races, have no or minimal coverage and this will be debated all over again.

Does it matter who is in the crew, well yes get real.

Does it matter what the skipper has done well yes again!

Even if they have not achieved a lot if this is the premium amateur regatta then lets hear about it.

While i don't agree with all that is said at least here i can usually find out the results.

Guest Rocket

From memory Dennis Connor used to use Grant as his training partner in the Etchell - used to host him in the US for that. Known as the butcher isn't he? Every time I raced the keelboat nationals Grant was there or thereabouts - i.e. he won more than once. Very tough competition.

Phil Douglas is a very good MRX sailor, with a very good crew - raced him for 10 years or so in that fleet. (as did JK)

Zane Gifford used to be in Phil's crew from memory

The dude who came 6th won a Tanner Cup back in the day and won heaps of Javelin Nationals I believe.

Why only 6 boats - surely they should have had all the MRXs out to create more pressure. Shame about that - but I am sure Grant will be a worthy competitor, he is a very very solid national representative.

The dude who came 6th won a Tanner Cup back in the day and won heaps of Javelin Nationals I believe.

Maybe some confusion with Craig Gilbert rather than Murray Gilbert I believe. But then I don't know Murray so maybe he and Craig have done similar things, it is possible.

Craig does have a good long track record in Javs. Currently the Nat Champ if I remember right.

All the boats I was watching yesterday looked like they were going pretty damn good, especially as a few crews wouldn't have had much time in them I would be thinking. Some good biffo in the pre-starts so none looked shy either.

Murray Gilbert has been a long time stalwart of the Flying Fifteen class.

He also helmed/owned a Jim Young 10.34 called 'Flying Circus' (I think or was that the Ferret's one).

Cheers.

R.

circus was the ferrets

Yeah, I suppose with all of those Friday Night Frighteners on board, it would have been a bit of a Circus !!!!

Something you could identify with in respect of the Farr 40 as well JK ....

Cheers.

R.

"Maybe some confusion with Craig Gilbert rather than Murray Gilbert I believe"

I think it's Craig Gilberd - if it's the same Rangitoto College bloke I'm thinking of.

Grant Turnbull did main on Gorilla Biscuits for a while - bloody good yachtie

and from someone who actually raced in the BMW Cup...

Bloody great fun ! and especially loved the matchracing (despite what the results suggest)

Once we got the invite to do BMW Cup the next battle was to sort out a crew. With under 21's and non Grade 1 sailors eliminated and other crew committed to a stag weekend we were left with 2 ! Luckily RNZYS commodore Ross Masters stepped in to help find some crew to give us a shot. All was going well until our contracted bowman informed us he was double booked (we still suspect stolen) by Grant Turnbull. Ross then said he would do bow ! Wow...not only having the Commodore sailing with me but on the pointy end too !!!

Saturday was very light and we were lucky to get 2 races in. Our regatta started well with a win in the first race. Race two was tough and being dumped on once was enough to send us back to 4th. At the end of the day 3 boats were tied on 5pts, Us, Grant Turnbull and Phil Douglas....but we would be leading on countback having had a win.

Sunday was much better breeze wise and kept building all day. Grant Turnbull sneeked past Phil Douglas in the first race just before the finish to take the win. We fought back to 4th place. In Race 2 Grant led start to finish with us nipping at his heels. This meant Grant was top qualifier for the matchracing, we were 2nd, Phil Douglas 3rd and Phil Yuill 4th.

Matchracing is a whole different ballgame and I was somewhat nervous having not matchraced (helming) since 1997 ! First up was Phil Douglas (on paper the best matchracer)...talk about a baptism of fire! Anyway the prestart went very well. We kept out of trouble and made it tough for Phil. He dived under us to go for the pin but we had left very little room and he had time to kill...end result was he started early and had to go back. Unfortunately for us this is where our day started to unravel.. first a couple of poor tacks and then spinnaker issues saw us finish well behind.

Race 2 was against Phil Yuill. We had a good go at the prestart and generally kept control. We started advanced tight to leeward and spat him out and kept a loose cover extending away up the beat. Unfortunately a shocker bottom mark let Phil back in front and although we had a good go on the final run it was too late.

Race 3 was against Grant Turnbull and again we had good control in the prestart. Grant got trapped too close to windward and we just waited until he got the inevitable penalty. Grant started just ahead but we stayed close and though we had him before our worst spinnanker set ever let him get away ahead enough to complete his penalty just before finishing.

In summary it was the last minute throwing a crew together with zero practice and people sailing outside their regular positions that let us down but on the positive we all got on well and enjoyed the regatta. I was extremely happy with our matchracing prestarts and can see if we got ourselves organised could have a very good shot at winning the regatta in the future. A special thanks to Ross for making it happen for our team.

Finally a big congrats to Grant Turnbull and team. As always Grant is a class act and now he has overcome his matchracing phobia will hopefully go on to defend NZ's title in Portugal !

p.s you still owe us a few rums for stealing our Bowman !

Archived