BMW Entrys

B00B00

As a FYI - I spoke to a few people last evening and asked 'What ya reckon we do this event next year as part of the BMW Series, would you be a starter?'. Most said yes, one or 2 scratched their heads, no one said no.

There was a Club official or 2 there also who didn't seem to have any problem with that either. One even suggested they could run the event or our section of it under the regatta banner maybe.

Obviously all just informal chatting but it was a lot more BWM positive than negative, actually bugger all negative.

One club down, a lot more to go ;)

Being new to the SR division and trying to organise nationals there is talk that next year we are wanting to get all the boats out (we tried this year to get a fleet of boats our size but everyone had other things on sadly) And to call it our Auckland Champs or Nationals. Its on the top of the list to discuss at this years nationals for us.

When i rang around the small boats most people plainly said no they werent doing it, One said maybe if so and so goes out, and one laughed (Although he was never going to do it really, worth a crack). Alot of people just said they were busy at work and the boats werent ready, Same story for our Nationals so hopefully the hard work of those that organised the regatta this year and Sara and the BBYC Team rigging people to drum up interest has got the ball rolling in peoples head to plan for it next year and make sure work is sorted and the boat ready? Luckily when we decided not to take my boat out we managed to form another crew and take a boat that probably wouldnt have gone anyway, out to join the biggest division and add more numbers.

Come on everyone.

This is a good regatta. BMW keep coming back. 46 entries as of last night. Should make at least 60.

Support sailing and organisers instead of being negative and bagging them.

I wonder if that is the same Dennis that just sent me the txt with entry numbers. Either way, a definite surge, that's good for everyone.

(Maybe the organisers need to thank me for stirring the pot :twisted: )

47 entries now in for BMW Regatta

get wet

that is the one point that perhaps could have been improved slightly,

perhaps each year they should have added two or three new clubs clubs, (say) RAYC, PHYC and PCC in year 2 and then PYBC, GHYC and RYC in year 3 and this year maybe a couple of small boat clubs

invite them to join the organising authority but as a condition they must agree not to hold racing in the 2 weeks before and the week after the regatta. in that way the clubs boats could be made ready and would be busting to race, and the clubs would all work to a common goal

Entries now at 47. expect at least 60

Well said Grunta.

All I can say, as a volunteer who will be on the water doing stuff in the event, is that I hope a lot more sailors pull their collective fingers out and enter.

Otherwise BMW will stop sponsoring thevent and bail.

I thought that the wednesday night warriors would be champing at the bit to do some sailing that does not involve going up and down the ditch (or river). If that's not the case well sailing in NZ is going down the toilet big time.

Same Denis

I wonder if that is the same Dennis that just sent me the txt with entry numbers. Either way, a definite surge, that's good for everyone.

(Maybe the organisers need to thank me for stirring the pot :twisted: )

What about looking at www.bmwaucklandregatta.co.nz We have had 2772 hits since 1st January

Good post JohnK.

From where I sit this bit make a massive amount of sense and would guarantee our arrival 100% for sure. I would be thinking it would do the same for a huge number of boats.

What should have happened is the events that have been on over the last few weekends and will be on over the weeks after ( and i wont name any to be fair to them ) should should have considered joining the event and building it and their profile
For example there is zero reason the event we are in all this weekend couldn't be part of the BWM Series, the format and race area are almost identical. Nor the event we did last weekend thinking about it, again a very similar format. That's a potential few dozen odd boats.

But that's for all the Clubs to sit down and thrash out I suppose. I'd be willing to shout the meeting beers of they did...... and did so more regularly over the entire calendar. The conflicts all season must surely be entry number negative to a lot of events.

Then again this one does have a lot of merits also -

The idea is to produce an event they'll want to participate in, then problem solved.

As a FYI to those interested - The only place I've seen anything about this years BMW Series is here on Crew. Not a dickey bird from any other place and I do get lots of stuff from other places. It may just be me but if it's knot that wouldn't help.

Crew.org.nz can hit that in one good day. :D (that's unique visitors, hits - up around 1 million).

I spoke unto Emily again this morning, we should have a response to the two questions soon.

johnk - you seem to be reading a lot more into this thread than I am. I have just read the whole thing again, nobody was bagging Squaddie or BBYC and I only saw one comeent that could be contrued as negative about BMW. I did see a lot of suggestions on how the regatta could be improved and increase participation ( got a whole lot myself, but I'll keep my head down for a bit I think).

get wet

that is the one point that perhaps could have been improved slightly,

perhaps each year they should have added two or three new clubs clubs, (say) RAYC, PHYC and PCC in year 2 and then PYBC, GHYC and RYC in year 3 and this year maybe a couple of small boat clubs

invite them to join the organising authority but as a condition they must agree not to hold racing in the 2 weeks before and the week after the regatta. in that way the clubs boats could be made ready and would be busting to race, and the clubs would all work to a common goal

The BMW regatta is fantastic keep up all the good work everyone !!

I believe JK has hit the nail on the head with his above comments.

When you look at Cowes week & the Round the Island race in the UK it is a combined yacht club event - you can read about it here http://www.sailingnetworks.com/organisation/view/274

They have eight yacht clubs that pull together to run a couple of major events that everyone (in the world it seems) sails in.

Lets get all the yacht clubs involved and promoting this regatta while the sponsors are still prepared to back it.

It looks like the rafts are going to have the biggest fleet !! :thumbup:

Making judgements on "underlying tone" is dangerous.

But hey since I started it - yep those two decisions have me stumped, can't figure why they did that, but someone suggested I ask, seemed a good idea and I did, when I get an answer I'll publish it and see how I feel about it then.

Squid, "impression" was the word I used, not "judgment". Two different words with different meanings. The jury is still out as far as I am concerned.

c

There are now 56 entries

Have 7 people still to enter in the next couple of days.

It would be great if we could get over 70 o if you know anyone that is still thinking about lets try and twist their arms.

There will be over 400 people racing as of entries recieved and the few people still to enter.

As a competitor and a sponsor in every BMW regatta I read this thread and shake my head. Here we have a group of sponsors in these difficult financial times putting up around the $100k+ mark for an event in the 'City of Sails" and all a majority of you can do is find reasons to complain and reasons not to attend

Any other sport would jump at that level of support , not bag the event and therefore the sponsor on line and certainly not criticise their decsion to align the event to their target market. You might think you are or about to become their target market but their research says otherwise but hey this is crew.org expert in all matters

. . . .

What upsets me most is the sensles bagging of the event and the sponsors ( by inference ) and the second guessing their motives and the pathetic excuses being offered for not going

I've just been playing with the number of entries as per BMW Regatta web info. (Spreadsheet attached)

If as you say "$100k+ mark",

Tonight the number of entered boats = 38 would bring in $3,420 in entry fees.

I have then guessed some crew numbers per boat = 239 sailors @$10 pp = $2,390

making a total entry fees to date of $5,810; or 5.8% of your sponsorship figure.

By contrast as as a suggestion for such a highly sponsored event, if entry fees were waived, would many more boats and sailors turn up for 3 days of racing :?:

What are the prizes :?:

NoR only states "Divisional prizes"

12.2 Divisional prizes will be presented for 1st, 2nd and 3rd on the In Shore PHRF

results and on 1st, 2nd and 3rd General Handicap

12.3 A Line honours prize will be presented for each Division.

Certainly KPMG has an impressive $5,000 new business assistance prize.

What other prizes or examples :?:

Any crew prizes :?:

Is the Musto clothing with corporate logos, free to participants :?: or the place getters :?: or the Line winners :?:

So there are a few thoughts to consider when questioning response levels and entries.

On the otherhand a "sponsored event" is of interest, and well done to sponsors for running eventys. They want to promote their products and so ask "What's in it for me as a sponsor?"

Equally owners and crews ask "Whats in it for me to race hard, put myself in physical dangers and attempt to win?"

60 entries now in. Hopefully a few more for the weekend.

There will be over 400 people racing as of entries recieved and the few people still to enter.
As a competitor and a sponsor in every BMW regatta I read this thread and shake my head. Here we have a group of sponsors in these difficult financial times putting up around the $100k+ mark for an event in the 'City of Sails" and all a majority of you can do is find reasons to complain and reasons not to attend

Any other sport would jump at that level of support ' date=' not bag the event and therefore the sponsor on line and certainly not criticise their decsion to align the event to their target market. You might think you are or about to become their target market but their research says otherwise but hey this is crew.org expert in all matters

. . . .

What upsets me most is the sensles bagging of the event and the sponsors ( by inference ) and the second guessing their motives and the pathetic excuses being offered for not going[/quote']

I've just been playing with the number of entries as per BMW Regatta web info. (Spreadsheet attached)

If as you say "$100k+ mark",

Tonight the number of entered boats = 38 would bring in $3,420 in entry fees.

I have then guessed some crew numbers per boat = 239 sailors @$10 pp = $2,390

making a total entry fees to date of $5,810; or 5.8% of your sponsorship figure.

By contrast as as a suggestion for such a highly sponsored event, if entry fees were waived, would many more boats and sailors turn up for 3 days of racing :?:

What are the prizes :?:

NoR only states "Divisional prizes"

12.2 Divisional prizes will be presented for 1st, 2nd and 3rd on the In Shore PHRF

results and on 1st, 2nd and 3rd General Handicap

12.3 A Line honours prize will be presented for each Division.

Certainly KPMG has an impressive $5,000 new business assistance prize.

What other prizes or examples :?:

Any crew prizes :?:

Is the Musto clothing with corporate logos, free to participants :?: or the place getters :?: or the Line winners :?:

So there are a few thoughts to consider when questioning response levels and entries.

On the otherhand a "sponsored event" is of interest, and well done to sponsors for running eventys. They want to promote their products and so ask "What's in it for me as a sponsor?"

Equally owners and crews ask "Whats in it for me to race hard, put myself in physical dangers and attempt to win?"

Here's the answer to the under 25 question, no word on why it was changed to invitation only.

The BMW Sailing Cup was created as a series for pure amateurs who have not competed in professional events. The ISAF Classification Code Group 1 applies but the Code has a loophole in that sailors who have competed as professionals for less than 100 days prior to their 24th birthday are still Group 1 even though they have been involved in professional sailing, and in some cases may remain Group 1 until they turn 25.

Russell Green

Race Director, BMW Sailing Cup NZ Final

squid

does it actually matter why it has become invite only, sure the prize aspect of an entry to the cup has gone from the regatta but you can still sail in it have fun , win, get the other regatta prizes ( which are still very good, better than most regattas)

at the end of the day its is BMW's regatta (the nz cup and the world cup parts ) , they pay for it and its not unreasonable for them to set the criteria so they and their dealers get the most out of it

the match race nationals are invite only so was the LV pacific cup and so was the omega

my understanding of the invite only is 3 fold

BMW want a strong NZ team at the world cup , other coutries run selction trials (invite only) to ensure they have the best chance of winning. cant fault that logic, why shouldnt we

it allows them to have national representation ( ie a non auckland crew or two)

for this to be a valuable sponsorship to BMW they need to involve their dealers around the country somehow

and lets be blunt ( my view not BMW's) PHRF has produced some divisional winners that are not really up to it and some very worthy cup competitors miss out because of their PHRF

remember the BMW world cup is in effect something similar to a world amatuer keelboats champs

squid

does it actually matter why it has become invite only, sure the prize aspect of an entry to the cup has gone from the regatta but you can still sail in it have fun , win, get the other regatta prizes ( which are still very good, better than most regattas)

I guess I'm showing my dinosaur credentials here. You are right, you can sail in the first half and have a good time. But I still can't get my head around any event where you get there by invite. The way to get to the final is to win the semis and quarters. Same reason I get uncomfortable with our current means of olympic selection. Must admit I really liked the "old" system when it was announced 2 regattas back, sorry to see it go, but if I'm going to be shouted down I'll just crawl back into my hole and go cruising again.

at the end of the day its is BMW's regatta (the nz cup and the world cup parts ) , they pay for it and its not unreasonable for them to set the criteria so they and their dealers get the most out of it

Yes again, they can do as they like. then it will either fly or it won't.

the match race nationals are invite only so was the LV pacific cup and so was the omega

Of course I contend that those events would have far greater appeal to the rest of us if there were a clear, transparent route that anyone could follow to the final. i.e match race nats open to any team that chooses to enter (there wouldn't be that many), if there are too many for the number of MRX's in the fleet, you have heats and eliminate a few by racing, not some plonker deciding who has higher media potential - sorry that's just me.

LV by invite is a bit misleading, chances are they would have welcomed any team that said yes.

can't remember what Omega was.

my understanding of the invite only is 3 fold

BMW want a strong NZ team at the world cup , other countries run selction trials (invite only) to ensure they have the best chance of winning. cant fault that logic, why shouldnt we

I have an answer but however I try to word it , it reads as a criticism of BMW which isn't my intention, and as their regatta is about to begin I'll sit on it for now

it allows them to have national representation ( ie a non auckland crew or two)

Absolutely valid,

for this to be a valuable sponsorship to BMW they need to involve their dealers around the country somehow

and lets be blunt ( my view not BMW's) PHRF has produced some divisional winners that are not really up to it and some very worthy cup competitors miss out because of their PHRF

We definitely agree here. PHRF is simply not robust enough for the intended level of competition, nor was ever meant to be, unfortunately we are kinda stuck with it through historical accident rather than by design. But look at the entry list. The strongest interest is in classes that race without handicaps (8.5 cats, Y88s, 1020's). I think the organizers have missed an opportunity here (or maybe they have tried and been unsuccessful - I'm not part of the process so don't know). The other day I counted about 10-12 classes that could race without handicaps and probably put together a fleet of say 10 boats. But to get them there they need to be approached now for next year, encouraged to clear the calendar, then embrace the BMW the way the 8.5's have - make it their national or whatever. Better racing, bigger fleets. I do contend that if they reverted to the old format but the winner got there by beating the winners of ten other one design fleets, you would have a damn good team for the international event.

remember the BMW world cup is in effect something similar to a world amatuer keelboats champs.

Archived