looking for a new boat

Clive

Having sailed and won a lot of coastal races on alot of different multi's I would say:

You should have brought hooters last time instead of tigre. its only half what you have to spend and is almost unbreakable.We have tried. Has by far the best rig set up and has sails that most multi owners only dream off but cant afford or don't know how to use.

or the last time I sailed penelope we won the coastal and beat siver raider and exodus on line. it suffers from a lack of top end pace down wind but has potential to be competitive especially in the light choppy weather.

Very nice finished boat.

was a long time ago though and things are moving on. Particularly in the open fleet.

Buy one of rodneys little speedsters like the charleston concept.?

or try and buy fusion x if you can get the guy to part with it. That really hauls ass in the right hands.

Great post Chris.

For sure if Clive had bought Hooters instead of Tigre.

Hooters costs less and is much faster.

Much less maintenance and sail replacement than was required on Tigre.

Hooters is a stronger boat.

So Clive if you were as happy with Tigre as you said, then surely Hooters must tick most of your boxes ?

OH Tim you were doing so well with your comments on offender, don't go and spoil it

Great post Chris.

For sure if Clive had bought Hooters instead of Tigre.

Hooters costs less and is much faster.

Much less maintenance and sail replacement than was required on Tigre.

Hooters is a stronger boat.

So Clive if you were as happy with Tigre as you said, then surely Hooters must tick most of your boxes ?

if I was buying from oz i'd get a verified weighing done before importing.

http://arrowpath.com.au/autoindex/index.php

the xls file link is to what I think is the Aus OMR ratings

If you scroll to the right the line "WM" is probably weight measured?

Hot Vindaloo, one of the for sale fireflys is 1095kgs...

wired is 1590kg, for a 9.3m cat is that heavy?

if I was buying from oz i'd get a verified weighing done before importing.

Exactly... Their OMR rating gives bit hits to light boats so the boats are slightly heavier. But i wonder how many of those declared weights are heavier than the boats actually are? Or how many of them could be lightened easily?

Very nice finished boat.

was a long time ago though and things are moving on. Particularly in the open fleet.

Yea that is the problem...

Well I am still looking. Nothing grabs me or is just too expensive for what it is.

Buy an A class while you wait for the right boat to come along. We were looking for a multi with similar requirements to you last year but for various reasons decided to wait another year, so I 'compromised' with an A class and am having the most fun on the water that I have had for a long time! There are some pretty handy A class sailors in town at present, and most days at least one or two are out sailing somewhere on the harbour. I'll come out anytime anyones up for a sail! There are a couple of good NZ boats for sale and heaps in oz. Check out the website www.a-class.org.nz.

Oh, and they'll beat an 8.5!

Buy an A class while you wait for the right boat to come along.

Oh, and they'll beat an 8.5!

Ha! funny that is exactly what I am looking at doing! :D

not a lot of racing going on from what I can see though... wonder if I could tag along with the Squaddie/Richmond wednesday nights! hahah... would be fun...

You won't regret it! They are a blast.

I've only had mine a few weeks, and sailed my first regatta in Turangi (on Taupo) weekend before last, and will be going to Taupo for another this weekend. The nationals are in Kerikeri at Easter, which is shaping up to see a very strong fleet, and the worlds are off Takapuna in 2014! There is talk of organising regular mid-week racing off Okahu Bay with the skiffs. The local weekend stuff seems to be a bit patchy at present, but there are plenty of guys sailing - just need to get everyone in the same place at the same time!

And anytime you want to head out for a squaddie race I'd be a starter!

Drop me a line if you want to hear me drivel on some more.

Archived