2011 SSANZ RNI Leg 3

take a look at the Karmas tracker she is just smoking

I see what you mean Gapmeister, that's a lot of ground covered since the restart.

Brien - interesting correlation between windspeed and baro press

Is that graph on the net ?

Yes. It is available from the RPNYC Point jernigham weather station feed.

Go to www.rpnyc.org.nz

Click on the Sailing tab at the top of the screen.

Click on Weather and tides on the left hand menu bar.

Click on Point Jerningham summary and graphs

Whew, what a start (looking at the pics). Remembering a little Business House race in Wellington last year, the start box can be a scary place - well done Deb & Geoff! Excellent updates, watching the whole race from my desk or couch!

Go, go, go, Valium!

Ya gonna say 'broken' Squid?

Surely the 'notoriously fragile' and 'arguably the most fragile boat out there', as some posts have said, 930 would have been the 1st to go. Yet the lads are still going and doing it like a low flying missile.

Go hard and go fast Team Pepe :thumbup:

{edit} and this morning update has them more towards the pointy end of the fleet, nice work boys.

Ya gonna say 'broken' Squid?

Surely the 'notoriously fragile' and 'arguably the most fragile boat out there', as some posts have said, 930 would have been the 1st to go. Yet the lads are still going and doing it like a low flying missile.

Go hard and go fast Team Pepe :thumbup:

{edit} and this morning update has them more towards the pointy end of the fleet, nice work boys.

Pretty impressive alright. I'm meeting the boats as they come into Auckland and I'll be the first to pat these guys on the back and apologise for doubting them.

Pretty impressive alright. I'm meeting the boats as they come into Auckland and I'll be the first to pat these guys on the back and apologise for doubting them.

Being honest, you won't be alone. I didn't expect a big boat failure due to it just being a 930 as such, but I must admit to having some doubts about the 'whole package'. But very happy to be proved wrong, very happy indeed.

Shame they won't be in the Nats, as I understand it, I do think the recent changes has made this 930m arguably the quickest one around.

Karma Police making good time towards Napier.

Averaging 8.6 knots over the past two hours. Appears to be between Akatea and M1 looking at GPS tracking.

They can see Cape Kidnappers.

Wind is dropping and swinging around to the south.

M1 has blown their code zero.

Go the Karma....

Shame they won't be in the Nats, as I understand it, I do think the recent changes has made this 930m arguably the quickest one around.

Do you include the crew as part of the "recent changes" KM? What %age of boat vs crew work do you reckon makes the difference in a race like this one?

I'd say that it's 70/30 crew/boat. If we ever get a one design going in this race we'll prove it. The ability to race efficiently through the night and keep pushing when super tired makes a world of difference. If we all reached everywhere in daylight the fastest boat would win but the RNI has so many variables with effects from headlands and currents and fatigue that the slow boats can do incredibly well.

The stand out crews for me are Pepe and Coppelia. You must rate the guys on Karma Police as pretty special as well but their performance is harder to quantify. These are only stand outs in a pretty special bunch of people.

Don't forget Valium.

Archived