RNI Leg 4

muttley

from Coppelia's point of view.

We finished the RNI only because of the massive ammount of preparation we put into the boat over the last two years. This preparation included nearly 2000 nm of two handed racing before the start, which gave us not only confidence in our ability to cope with the conditions and each other, but also a good understanding of our limitations. On both legs 2 and 4 we backed off, took it easy and watched people race away from us between scheds, a difficult thing to do. But our steadfast agreement to ensure that we got to the finish paid off in the end. Our damage for the race was a lost windex and a broken oven door. Nothing more, no ripped sails, no injuries.

If I had to comment on how we dealt with cutting the rig free - the bolt-cutters we had were totally useless and the hacksaw was the business (probably carry more than one in future). It took no more than 10 minutes to free it all up. The hydraulic fluid was going off like a fountain and made the deck slippery and dangerous. First of all we cut free up all the stuff at the mast-base and bow, only to find the backstay and runners holding the rig at the stern - which was not a good thing in retrospect because rudder or prop damage would've been pretty serious in the circumstances. I'd try to avoid this if I had to do it all over again.

Incidentally hewy, a few years back I had the experience of being on a boat that dropped its rig within the harbour and had the good fortune of having a rigger on board that day. He was able to do a very quick job of disconnecting (rather than severing) the rig by wrenching out the split pins (side cutters seem to have the best grab) then knocking out the pins with a hammer and punch (think the safety regs refer to it as a drift).

Obviously it was flat water and daylight in that case, with plenty of assistance around if needed. And I also hope it isn't something you need to do again for a number of years.

However having seen it done, I would always tend towards this approach as the first option where possible - it takes a lot less effort than cutting each item (or alternatively the hybrid approach of one knocking the pins and the other guy following through with the hacksaw in any situations where the pin isn't moving).

Not an easy thing to practice for in advance - in some ways it would be useful if there was some means of doing that.

No idea why they say bolt cutters rather than wire cutters. Look the same but one works and the other doesn't, or at least knot very well. I'd take wire cutters and leave the bolt cutters at home.

Incidentally hewy, a few years back I had the experience of being on a boat that dropped its rig within the harbour and had the good fortune of having a rigger on board that day. He was able to do a very quick job of disconnecting (rather than severing) the rig by wrenching out the split pins (side cutters seem to have the best grab) then knocking out the pins with a hammer and punch (think the safety regs refer to it as a drift).

I pulled out the pins on the forestay and the lowers on the leeward side. I couldn't get at the other ones easily. Completely agree that is the best way to get them free.

I reckon some wire cutters or something that can snip halyards, cables and wires would be useful. The bolt cutters didn't seem to want to cut anything.

I reckon some wire cutters or something that can snip halyards, cables and wires would be useful. The bolt cutters didn't seem to want to cut anything.

Wire cutters are gold for this. They have Bird Claw type cutters that drag the wire/rope in and it cuts easily. When we were rigging we often cut string, rope and wire, even flexy wire with wire cutters. Great things and i have a set on my boat.

In saying that they are Crap on Rod rigging. Where a decent, sharp and properly aligned (i.e they close fully etc) Bolt cutter hose through Rod. Wouldnt dream of a Hacksaw through Nitronic Rod. Its tougher than Steel so the blades die first normally. Bolt cutters only need to go 1/2 way through rod before it pings and snaps right through because it is so Hard.

from Coppelia's point of view.

We finished the RNI only because of the massive ammount of preparation we put into the boat over the last two years. This preparation included nearly 2000 nm of two handed racing before the start, which gave us not only confidence in our ability to cope with the conditions and each other, but also a good understanding of our limitations. On both legs 2 and 4 we backed off, took it easy and watched people race away from us between scheds, a difficult thing to do. But our steadfast agreement to ensure that we got to the finish paid off in the end. Our damage for the race was a lost windex and a broken oven door. Nothing more, no ripped sails, no injuries.

You're also both legend sailors. :thumbup:

The oven door issue must have been stressful.

Yes, the glass oven door smashing was a bit stressful, it took me until Napier to get all the glass out of my feet. But contary to what people say I was doing the dishes at the time, not baking scones!

Yes, the glass oven door smashing was a bit stressful, it took me until Napier to get all the glass out of my feet. But contary to what people say I was doing the dishes at the time, not baking scones!

Don't you know the difference between an oven and a dishwasher. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Archived