Whot the? are the hard to see pole thingys

Sailing back from Weiti BC race last evening and all of a sudden there was a pile of what looked to be bits of sewer pipe made into buoys/floats in a line like a fence off Browns Bay, there abouts.

There is 12 odd maybe more of them spaced knot far apart. They are the same colour as the water, knot lit and very bloody hard to see at sunset. Missed one by less than 5mts before I saw it and then a pile more. Sailed straight into the middle of them before they were spotted and being semi-anal I do keep a good watch, mainly for the multitude of fishing kayaks.

Got a hell of a fright and nearly dropped my last beer. Stocks were low as I wasn't expecting so much time to consume as we ended up happening. Insert 'Bitch bitch bitch re weather forecasters' about here.

Any one know what they are doing out there and what would happen if you hook one around your keel, it's only a matter of time if it hasn't happened already.

Anything else attached or anything seemed to be inside them KM? Did they have a little antenna? or a line dropping down with hooks or net? or was it just twelve or so tied together in a line doing nothing else?

They are moored with what looks to be a semi-bodgy line and I sailed right thru them so if there is a net or a line between then it's at lest 1.9mts deep. I stopped as soon as I saw them but by that time if it was a net/line I'd have been in trouble. And I wouldn't like to hit one of the floats at speed.

Looks a little temporary but been there for a month or so maybe a longer judging by condition.

Just surprised there is a 100 odd plus meter line of 'something', running at right angles to the usual flow of traffic in that area, with nothing to warn of it's existence. No lights and it's all in a colour that would be called 'Hauraki Gulf Water'. You would have to try hard to make it less visible.

Good point D but I don't know where that is. I would have thought it would the further out as the floats things are only 1000mts off the land, if that.

could be marking the shaft at the end of the tunnel and then the line is sitting on the seabed for a further 2 or 3ks from memory

but it should be visible even if not permanent

maybe it was a time of day thing were the lights hadn't come on yet ?

Quite possible I'd say D. They are in straight line heading from land towards a spot a few K north of Rangi. That is about where the pipe is as I understand it.

Hour before sunset but still stacks of light, nowhere near lights on time. They weren't lit or had lights unless they were also como coloured. I was close enough to get a bloody good look, once the sphincter settled. Look to be 100-150mm sewer pipe about 2mts long each, about 10mts apart maybe 15 max. Some were standing upright and some were lying flat on the surface.

Just surprised at where they were and the way they all but invisible until you are right on top of them. By less than 10 boats length past them I couldn't see them again even with the sun at my back and knowing they were there. No rum goggles were fitted at the time either.

I'll speak to the MAROPS team in the am and see what they know. But in the meantime just watch for them, they did cause a big fright popping up out of no-where like that.

No, to busy freaking out the the surprise of seeing one appear 15ft in front of me.

Half way between Taka and Milford beaches about 800mts offshore. Knot out into the channel but closer to that than the land.

Not out where there is/used to be some kind of outflow from a pipe? We used to sail our Ps over it in the light as it made an upwelling in the water. Quite fun to sail up over the flow and fall sideways off it. Small things amuse small minds....

I suspect where I'm thinking of is a bit further north... :think:

I've been past them a couple of times and confirm they are impossible to spot. Beleive they are something to do with the marin outfall project, but sketchy as hell and about as dodge as you can get. I've seen old water barrels used as "marker" bouys in that area, its a complete shambles, no lights anywhere.

Would be interested if there is an offical story to them. Was going to check the notice's to mariners but these are so shabby who evr put the mout wouldn't know what a notice to mariner was :crazy:

just spent some time tonight rechecking last 2 mths of Notice to Mariners, could not find a thing. I think you may be right Fish

You guys need to complain to the authorities (Harbour Master?) They should be proper markers doing a job of warning, not in themselves being a danger to shipping. I mean...if any of us drop a line or net or anything, the bouy has to be so big and have plenty of ID and blah blah. None of us would get away with anything as shabby as that.

In that location I'd suspect they'd be something to do with the North Shore City Council's wastewater treatment plant discharge. Dodgy damn marine scientists dropping buoys and gear all over the place!!! :x :shh:

Speaking of which, those rigs you made up worked perfectly KM. They even had to stay in situ for an extra week and the anchors held perfectly despite huge clumps of oxygen weed caught up on everything. Top job!! :thumbup:

The Harbourmasters office is closed or they are all out for de-cafe soy milk Lattes. Will continue the sussing.

That's good Grinna, Thanks for the thanks and news. Always good to know a cunning plan actually is one :) Catching floating stuff was factored into the equation..... he says now with a lot more confidence ;) :lol: Give everything a nice wash and let dry nicely before stashing away. Don't dry or store the rope in direct sunlight, it'll last a lot longer in a lot nicer state. Do that and you'll be able to throw dangers to navigation in waterways for many ears to come :lol:

hehe, KM, what i reckon you should do, seeing as these "markers" are hardly legal navigation devices, is pull them in and take the entire lot along to the office and drop it all in a heap on the floor or outside the door if no one is there and say, "hey look at this lot of stuff floating around out there, totaly dangerouse to navigation. I saved you a hassle by bringing it all in for you" :wink:

The harbourmasters don't know specifically about anything up that way bar maybe something to do with the pipeline. There is a Notice to mariners out for an area up there due to the pooh pipe, the whole area is apparently out of bounds and marked by yellow buoys. When I said 'Bullshit it is', being the diplomat I am, they said thier boat is heading up that way tomorrow and will suss.

I did mention the total lack of warning, markings and the camo colour they did seem quite surprised and questioned my ancestry (nothing unusual, it's std practice) but they are going for a look. I'd be very surprised if when they see it, assuming they get close enough to find it, they don't insist on better markings or removal.

Stand by while it's sussed further.

Don't suppose Fish got a GPS or has a firmer position than I have. Mr Fish, what have you?

Wal - yes you are right the big sewer discharge is further north, its a few hundred metres offshore off the southern end of campbells bay so it doesn't explain these latest floaters, you can see a permanent oily/calm patch on the water where it comes to the surface, pretty sure it comes from the ponds at rosedale...

I used to sail dinghys over it as well...yes small things and small minds....

Soy lattes..? nah uh, they are busy getting ready to tell people that, no you cant anchor there - its a shipping lane! No you cant motor thru there its a race course! but i thought you said its a shipping lane? Yes, but now its a race course. So no ships are using it? nope. So i can anchor?

Or they could also be enforcing the 'please travel at max wake' speed restrictions.

I think if it cant be seen steaming up the harbour at 18kts, or bobbing in woody bay, it is a council issue.

Archived