coming to a bay near you mark 2

Steve Pope

.I dont know who the hell Steve Pope is but I doubt any serious criminal contributes to this forum.?

Probably not. But hey - who knows - depends who, or what sort of behaviour you categorise as criminal.

The bigger possible issue is crims dropping in here ( you don't have to be registered to have a look) to check out who is taliking about what gear they have on their boat, who's going away etc. etc. Too much info possibly too easily available?

.I dont know who the hell Steve Pope is but I doubt any serious criminal contributes to this forum.?

Probably not. But hey - who knows - depends who, or what sort of behaviour you categorise as criminal.

The bigger possible issue is crims dropping in here ( you don't have to be registered to have a look) to check out who is taliking about what gear they have on their boat, who's going away etc. etc. Too much info possibly too easily available?

HAHA thats just classic! Crims can either spend time searching the internet looking for information or they can pick a house at random during a work day and have extremely good odds that it's empty, or drive round at xmas, or pick a bendy toy with a radar dish!

SHANE

HAHA thats just classic! Crims can either spend time searching the internet looking for information or they can pick a house at random during a work day and have extremely good odds that it's empty, or drive round at xmas, or pick a bendy toy with a radar dish!

SHANE

Thanks, I'm not interested in your fishing gear.....

What is a bendy toy with a radar dish?

God caught again!!! Maybe they saw me having a surreptitious piss over the rail.

I think my only crime in this instance would be to enjoy sailing an alloy centre boarder that originally came from France, it doesn't look like the standard kiwi designed leadmine. A "knowledgeable" navy type would probably pick a foreign design for a closer inspection. As when the Kahu chased me down after leaving the Barrier the same time as 3 other kiwi designed yachts that all headed towards Kawau while I headed North towards Toot, of course the Kahu continued North after having a chat with me on the VHF so perhaps I drew the short straw because we were heading in the same direction. If owning a french designed yacht makes a surveillance target, so be it.

nonam what's your boats name, I could pass it on to them when they next come to call. :P

a derogatory name for beneteau.

My point was if I wanted expensive marine gear I would just go find a nice big expensive boat.

Are you sure you don;t want to buy some fishing gear! :evil:

SHANE

a derogatory name for beneteau.

SHANE

Ahhh, I thought it was Big Fat Ho

My point was if I wanted expensive marine gear I would just go find a nice big expensive boat.

SHANE

Well of course you could. My point was that one so inclined could get a pretty good idea what was on certain expensive boats by monitoring these forums or others like them. Eg. Trade me... lists of equipment on board etc. etc.

Are you sure you don;t want to buy some fishing gear! :evil:

SHANE

Naa mate, waste of time. The fish don't like me - they can tell when I'm aboard and f*ck off to the next nearest boat to get caught. :wtf:

To further suport my argument that the taxpayers money should be spent on regular police.The recent case of the stolen Cav39.The villan spent a month raiding moored boats and baches until the Cav became a treasure trove of stolen property.Who apprehended him?The regular police!The "water police" were too busy watching Steve Pope.

Interesting example to bring into the debate nonam - as I remember it, that guy was caught only when he started firing a rifle within a marina, which prompted the neighbours to dial 111 and the regular police were called in. So up until that point he had been cruising around quite happily in a stolen boat full of stolen property and with a firearm(s?) on board.

So that example would not support the argument that the shadowy figures are carrying out surveillance from a great distance and are in possession of enormous amounts of information.

Gotcha. If he had snorted a line of coke, slapped the illegal immigrants back into the hold [of the Cav 32], assembled a carbon-fire or ceramic Uzi and gone storming into the marina cafe with plastic explosives strapped to his chest, they would have come roaring through in their big black RIB just in time for a flat white and a date scone, warmed with butter on the side. Since Steve Pope was so unwilling to share his morning tea.

I will stir it a bit more.Serious big time drug smugglers dont use yachts.Shipping containers,airlines/mules are much better.There will always be individuals who will smuggle on yachts ,from time to time.Always has been,always will be.It does not rate a police navy.Interdiction is best when it comes ashore.Smuggling live species out?Where can you sail to in two weeks from here?And keep the animals alive through good and bad weather?Just doesnt add up.Smuggling out artifacts?Any cruiser can stow that stuff and pass through customs undetected and the water police would never detect it either.I suspect most of us dont give a rats arse about artifacts and its certainly no reason to give up freedom and privacy.

Terrorism?You guys are joking when you bring that up,right?

Finally,has anyone ever heard of an illegal yacht apprehended in NZ?I dont doubt there has been the odd illegal but it does not rate a police navy.The vast majority of illegal sailers are simply evading taxes and paperwork.They do no actual harm.Ag dept constantly rants about yachts introducing pests but they have not one documented case of yachts introducing anything anywhere.Sailors who have what it takes to sail to NZ are pretty aware of what is on their boat.

I will stir it a bit more.Serious big time drug smugglers dont use yachts.

You never heard on Mr Asia then.

Is that Steve Pope's true identity, I knew he must have done something to bring all that attention on himself.

You weren't thinking that an example from two decades ago makes a very strong case for how enforcement should be carried out today, were you? :roll:

You weren't thinking that an example from two decades ago makes a very strong case for how enforcement should be carried out today, were you? :roll:

2 decades in real people terms but only the day before yesterday in government bureaucrat terms ;)

Recently, as inside the last couple of years, they have tracked at least 2 yachts with drugs in mind. One with very very good reason and the other for good reason. One they watched for 4 months.

I can see that you have some inside info that is convincing to you but I am finding it hard to latch on to.

Where can you track a yacht in NZ territorial waters for four months? That would have to be the world's slowest drugs shipment. Were either of them busted in the end?

Sorry but I am still left with the idea that these guys are having a rip-roaring time doing knot very much and dropping in on the likes of Steve Pope to make their timesheets look good.

My father was talking to a french guy over the VHF in Fiordland who had sailed to NZ in a trimaran.

He had arrived months previously, and had cleared in legitimately.

Within a couple of hours a helicopter arrived for an inspection, just from listening to the VHF traffic.

Is it just me? In the commercial world, scrambling a helicopter in a wasted effort to repeat a task that had already been fully and properly completed (a fact that should have been available via a straightforward paperwork check) would result in the suggestion that you might like repay the costs personally and seek employment elsewhere.

Knot seeing value here, heaps of interesting entertainment for some people but no value... :evil:

I suggest some of put smuggling and yacht into google, or your other favorite search engine. There are news reports of yachts smuggling huge dollars worth of gear into all sorts of countries. Drug smuggling is a big international buisness, and drugs take also sorts of routes to get to a destination.

A lot of crims are stupid but its the clever ones you need to look out for, and are not easy to catch mainly because they get the stupid ones to do the risky stuff. Most of the gangs in NZ have international connections and this isn't for social reasons.

The scarey thing is that we are borrowing $250mill a week to help pay for it all!!! And we will have to pay that back sometime or at least our children and grand children will. I think the bureaucrats are developing a seige mentality which naturally has ever increasing implications for our personal freedom.

Yes Mr Murky but if I say too much it could identify people and other things probably knot good and besides that level of detail isn't really needed for this discussion. I will tell you that you personally, and probably everyone else reading this, would know those 2 boats I refereed to earlier. So it wouldn't be fair to out someone/s who have gone through the wringer already, in the process of going thru it or maybe the boats have changed hands. There are many other examples as well.

What we see in the Northland coast is only one small cog in the big machine. The machine is large and interlinked with the machines from countries all over the world. Hence the 4 months part as it was a multi-country operation, and for a good reason. Our Custom boat/s have shadowed many a boat into our waters after receiving intel. They have the ability to sit back and watch you even though your radar or high powered binos doesn't show them.

The other boat had some intel linked to it and so it was also followed, discreetly, to make sure nothing was thrown over the side down the coast. It had the full noise rummage on arrival. In that case nothing was found but the Intel wasn't that far wrong, just the timing was out.

They are knot only after drugs but piles of other things for many assorted reasons. The dudes aren't Police, they are Customs and sometimes with Ag & Fish alongside. 2 very different roles even though they do help each other if required.

As we all know too well smuggling stuff in to NZ wouldn't be hard by boat if you wanted to. So I don't have any issue with being seen out there as a deterrent when they have some time between chasing the known naughty lads down.

I think what we are seeing is all just part of the growing trend by countries to chuck more border control in place. It has tightened up a lot in the last few years and as the US has absolutely no idea where Osama is, the lads are probably just helping NZ forfill some International Treaty for the apprehension of Breaded Pricks, we signed.

And of course there is the embarrassment factor. People in places are still well aware of Mr Asia and a few like him, knot to mention someone let a whole boats load of murdering cowardly French Government terrorists slip in to murder people in our major harbour. A once burned bureaucrat has a long memory. Also NZ is known as an easy way into Aussie.

Steve, have a shave, stop walking around your boat in the bedsheets and buy a decent hat rather than using a tea towel, then you'll be fine I'm sure :lol: :lol:

Archived