coming to a bay near you mark 2

Steve Pope

As far as I've heard no-one is being searched, seized or arrested without warning or cause.

I agree. At least so far, I have found that if you are pleasant to the Authorities, they are also pleasant to you. I have never yet found anything different. If you are breaking the law, then you have to expect a different attitude. I don't know why we seem to have this "Us the Citizen" Vs the "Uniform of some corrupt power breed to keep us in the corner" attitude. They are just Men and Woman like you and me and could well be from next door. In fact, right next door to me lives a Cop...really. Great guy and wonderful family. They are just normal people trying to do a job. We are fortunate that we don't have the level of Violence they do overseas. That is why those law enforcement guys play differently. They can get killed. I bet if you were some Law enforcement officer and you had a 50/50 chance of getting killed during your normal everyday work, you would also be a little less courteous and a little more "persuasive" in your greetings.

Back to NZ though, we are seeing a big increase in Drug importation into NZ. And another area of major concern is illegal emigration. Maybe not a big issue in NZ waters yet, but it is there and it is growing. So at what point do you bring in enforcement and training of those that are employed to do the job.

Squid, do you think there is sufficient interest in this topic that perhaps Customs' official mouthpiece should be invited to comment on the following:

Nope. I tried once before, not worth the effort.

So after four pages the only possible reason we can find for this activity is to stop the illegal drug trade.

If it was my job to stop that activity I think cutting off the supply would be the least efficient thing i could do. And I think stopping random sailboats would be the least efficient way of achieving that least efficient goal.

Waste of time and money and one step closer to a police state. Be careful what you give away, you'll never get it back.

Drugs, the boats of illegal immigrants, unwanted pests, weapons. They have stop some of all of those over the last couple of years.

And people are getting upset about these 1/2 dozen dudes doing that yet haven't said Boo about the recent change that means the police can covertly look into your computer at home.

stop that activity I think cutting off the supply would be the least efficient thing i could do.

It's the supply that they are trying to stop Squid. It is an alarmingly growing problem. Last year only 67Kgs of the drug pseudoephedrine was stopped at the NZ border. This year since just October, 230Kg has been stopped at NZ borders. That would make about NZ$84million worth of "P".The stuff comes in from Asia, with China being the biggest culprit. It comes usually in raw pill form to be processed in NZ into "P". China has a major problem with this stuff being produced. Ephidrine production in China is currently 10 times higher than ligitimate use. 30,000 tonnes of Ephedra was processed last year in China an so that 10 times is going somewhere and most likely illegally.

The average P user in NZ spends about $1900/month of their habit. Seeing as many don't have jobs, that money comes from theft. That ends up being paid for by you in me in some way.

And that is just that one particular Drug.

All of the pills are made by one factory in China.

There was a doco on a couple of weeks about it. The Chinese have their head in the sand about it, as with most things. They have a limit of 5 packets over the counter (which the doco proved was being ignored).

They interviewed a media rep from the English owners of the factory, who were doing "everything they could to assist".

Now you have made me waste my 100th post! :evil:

Everyone agrees P is a problem in NZ. No-one - with the possible exception of KM, who hints that he knows but cannot tell - has been able to provide much in the way of evidence that measures like:

- an NZ warship shadowing a cruiser 24 hours a day for four months

- the introduction of pre-clearance inspections almost within sight of the agreed entry port

- or high-powered RIBs dropping in on Steve Pope at morning tea time

has been in any way effective, let alone cost-effective, at dealing with the problem. In fact there seems to be a lack of any of the usual publicity that accompanies a worthwhile seizure.

Agree with Murky, plus I stand by my statement that trying to cut supply is the least efficient way of dealing with the problem - a short term fix that only pushes prices up.

Come on KM, How many people have been convicted as a result of illegal activity on a small sailboat in the last 5 yeaers - 10 years- 50 years?

Been trying to answer that question, there's obviously the Rainbow Warrior affair( honestly we're unlikely to see a repeat of that), There was a big boat came from South America with drugs that got caught years ago (was it the Nam Sang???), and people here have mentioned Mr Asia, I don't know about that as i wasn't here.

Any others??????????????

Terry Clarkes boat was the Brigadoon, but from memory it only came here a couple of times.. spent most of its time running the smack and dope to Aussie.

Pretty sure the first time he siomply sailed in to his pad at Opua and unloaded... sh*t those must have been the days....

Hate to be so tacky as to introduce logic here Squid, but aren't you effectively arguing that their policing programme is working and shouldn't be changed, after all, they're deterring smuggling, the numbers speak for themselves, as you have so ably argued.

Actually I don't hate it at all, I'm stirring for the sake of it and thoroughly enjoy doing so.

:lol: :lol: Murky failed again

I never said warship, Customs do have their own boats. Knot that most would notice just by a passing glance. Suss the weird array of ariels and bits on the roof and they may wonder a bit though.

Who pulled up the few boat loads of attempted boat people a couple of years back?

Who has caught drugs coming in by sea?

Who checks out the boats who suddenly appear in our waters unbeknown to anyone as they didn't give the now 1 week notice.

And more

I suppose it comes down to whether you think trying and getting some dodgy buggers is better than just throwing your hands in the air and basically giving an open invitation for all and sundry to do whatever they like. Don't forget the bad dudes often have better intel, more money and a shitload more smarts than the NZ Government. The moment they know no one is watching it'll be all on for sure.

Anyone wondered why most here didn't seem to know about this even though it's been going on for years but now they do? Because the Customs (or more correctly Border Control team which covers a few agencies) stopped by and said G'day to Steve, the possibly dodgy Northland multi sailing Mt Gay smuggler ;) That is called 'a to be seen deterrent' and in doing so it looks like they are doing part of their job to a very high level of competence. The people in this thread saying it's a waste are actually say 'It is working' but some of you just haven't realised that :thumbup:

Stopping drugs at the source?? Now that would be a exercise in futility at it's finest and never happen in your wildest dreams. Even to think they could, I would suggest is a power La La Land statement. If the US military can't what hope do we have? Less than feck all.

Hate to be so tacky as to introduce logic here Squid, but aren't you effectively arguing that their policing programme is working and shouldn't be changed, after all, they're deterring smuggling, the numbers speak for themselves, as you have so ably argued.

Actually I don't hate it at all, I'm stirring for the sake of it and thoroughly enjoy doing so.

Hey, where did you come from you slippery bugger. Feel free to keep up the tacky, as long as it keeps agreeing with me :)

And to just pop back to the boats bit. Customs have their own, which are tired and a bit knackered really. There is new super duper ones knot far away, and yes NZ built. As I understand it the use of the Navy Patrol Craft is both a cost saving measure and gives the Navy lads some hands on training. So they are actually being smart and saving the taxpayer money at the same time.

Err.... actually all that sounds a bit to common sense for a Government Dept/s. Maybe they have been sold to private enterprise :lol: :lol:

How about "it was working fine before, why are they stepping it up?"

As they step it up we lose something we will never regain.

Who pulled up the few boat loads of attempted boat people a couple of years back?

No idea what you asre talking about - more detail please

Who has caught drugs coming in by sea?

In small sailboats? When. How much? how often?

Who checks out the boats who suddenly appear in our waters unbeknown to anyone as they didn't give the now 1 week notice.

By their own figures they are acheiving 80% compliance with that one, so about 120 boats a year are coming in undetected

And more

I suppose it comes down to whether you think trying and getting some dodgy buggers is better than just throwing your hands in the air and basically giving an open invitation for all and sundry to do whatever they like. Don't forget the bad dudes often have better intel, more money and a shitload more smarts than the NZ Government. The moment they know no one is watching it'll be all on for sure.

Don't be daft, we have rules, we enforce them, but it's not necessary to dress up like you are in Miami Vice and hoon around in expensive rubber duckies to no good purpose.

Stopping drugs at the source?? Now that would be a exercise in futility at it's finest and never happen in your wildest dreams. Even to think they could, I would suggest is a power La La Land statement. If the US military can't what hope do we have? Less than feck all.

Never suggested stopping them at the source, only said trying to stop them getting in to the country is not particularly efficient, and harassing sailboats is an inefficient way of being inefficient.

3 boat loads of boat people they pulled up. 2 knot far off the Manakau bar and one a tad lost by the looks off North Cape. Knot sure of the date but 2-3 years back there abouts.

Small boats, Yes but as two of the boats have now changed hands it's wouldn't be fair to say. Also a person that was 'connected' according to the police in another with drugs and a pile of guns. And there have been a few others.

80% is a far better number than 0% and I doubt due to our coastline anyone would ever get 100%.

Remember knot that long ago the parcels found floating down the coast. The authorities said that due to the hap hazard nature of the parcels positions they suspect the people on the boat good spooked by something and just chucked them over board. I doubt, even in that green ;), you on your proa or any of us here would have been that frightening.

The Airport Customs throw huge resources at stopping drugs, guns and other illegal things coming in. In todays news they said they are only getting some as the baddies are getting so creative in their hiding endeavours. So do we keep doing that but at the same time take the boats away. Isn't that just like going on holiday and locking the front door but leaving the back door wide open with a big sign on it saying 'Open'?

Hands up all of those who have actually been questioned while in their boat by a Border Patrol boat or aircraft.

Steve a few times

Me a few times

A mate once

A guy in a Latts Mag

and about 5-6 others I've heard of.

and that's about all I can think of right now but I'm sure there must be more.

Now how many have been stopped by the police while in their cars and been told 'Hello Sir, just doing a WOF check'? The uproar over that is deafening in comparison isn't it ;)

Hey, I'm usually at the leading edge of bleater's about Government noisiness and antics but juts can't see a problem here at all.

Now how many have been stopped by the police while in their cars and been told 'Hello Sir, just doing a WOF check'? The uproar over that is deafening in comparison isn't it ;)

You just chose the wrong example big fella, I have been waiting for that one.

When I have had my WOF and rego checked recently, the officers are stationed at either side of the lane so that the traffic does not need to stop, but only slow down.

So if they checked my superannuitant parents in their Toyota Corolla, found the WOF and rego were OK but still pulled them over and searched their car, then sent them down the road where their mates would repeat the search without recognising the previous search, and then told them it was "because we have a boy racer problem in NZ", I would say they are either:

a) clueless about how to actually address the boy racer problem

B) knowingly wasting their day on the taxpayer's dime, or

c) up to something else and using boy racers as an excuse.

Take it easy on the way home, just phoned in your rego number to the cops as a known boy racer. :wink:

And to just pop back to the boats bit. Customs have their own, which are tired and a bit knackered really. There is new super duper ones knot far away, and yes NZ built.

unfortunately knot, from what I understand customs bailed out of building a new one, going to share with the Police instead,

I knew you couldn't did it Murk :lol: :lol:

I don't know anyone who has been stopped and searched without reason. Stopping is one thing, searching is another. And you sort of do have to stop on a boat. Can you imagine the carnage if a 150ft Patrol boat motored passed that close they could get a nice suss of any paperwork?

Steve you there, you been searched or just stopped?

Yes I must admit being asked the same thing twice on the same day did seem unnecessary but the 1st time was an aircraft and the second a boat. Maybe I didn't meet the grade on the 1st occasion, I don't know. I do know however that on that occasion Customs were twitchy, which may have had something to do with it, as two weeks earlier the Navy Chicos were told to go hide so Customs could find them as part of an exercise. After a week of looking around Northland they only found one :lol: :lol: The Chicos boss at the time was rather amused, the Customs one knot so.

I heard that G but recently heard it was back on again. Be interesting to see what happens now. Be hard to do both with one boat I would expect. I know they have next to no boats of any decent size around the country, any down your way?

The stuff comes in from Asia, with China being the biggest culprit. It comes usually in raw pill form to be processed in NZ into "P". China has a major problem with this stuff being produced. Ephidrine production in China is currently 10 times higher than ligitimate use. 30,000 tonnes of Ephedra was processed last year in China an so that 10 times is going somewhere and most likely illegally.

Well, that explains why I had such a hard time when I came through China. Customs in NZ really put me through the ringer - bag searches, questioning, swabbing of my bags . . . was glad they stopped before the full body search.

This was after my daughter sent me a txt saying - "dont be the last one out again Mum!"

I thought it was just because I was a Registered Nurse - now I understand so much better. My travelling companion, with whom I had travelled the complete round trip with, and is a surgeon, was waved straight thru . . .

:?

Archived