mini 650

Good to see all the work progressing, rather you than me on the grinder though! A little concerned about her cradle support aft, you dont want her to end up with a saggy arse, like someone who keeps grabbing me at the yacht club :

she now has nothing other than the glass skin and baltic (?) pine aft of the last ring frame. all being rebuilt with foam core. i came home from work tonight and decided i wanted to go on a mini, or atleast part of one. so i made up a mock up deck of the starboard aft quarter, just to get a rough idea of cockpit depths & tiller angles etc. yes it does have a working starboard rudder :)

a little more progress tonight, raced home from work and got 12 foam planks glued back in to the starboard quarter. it got too dark pretty quickly though so i had to stop. hopefully tomorrow i can get a pattern made for the new main bulkhead. the rest of the foam will wait til saturday so i can do it all in one hit.

a little more progress tonight, raced home from work and got 12 foam planks glued back in to the starboard quarter. it got too dark pretty quickly though so i had to stop. hopefully tomorrow i can get a pattern made for the new main bulkhead. the rest of the foam will wait til saturday so i can do it all in one hit.

So you got the boat on Mar 19, dug out some waterlogged polystyrene, built a small tent, grind'd out some bad bits and glued on a few little bits of foam.

its now June 14....

great progress!

only joking, its nice to see a major project taken on by a young guy, and cool to see the progress, even if it is a 4ksb lead swinger.

When I was your age I rebuilt a similar sized, similar condition trimaran and its well worth the effort when you launch it and go sailing!

have you written up a job list? with time estimates and deadlines? if so can you post it? also record your hours spent on it, try for a min of 50 per month and she'l be sailing in no time.

i know i know its pretty sh*t but i only have 1 weekend spare in every 2 cause of sailing and i usually get home just on dark after work in the winter months so knot much happens during the week.. knot really a job list as such, although that would be a good thing to do. maybe if i can borrow some spot lights from work tomorrow then string them up in the tent, i could get most of the foam back in the quarters. then glassed, faired, transom & main bulkhead in this weekend. i think for winter it will realistically be less than 50hrs a month but once we are back into daylight savings she will start honking along :thumbup:

Basic light fittings are super cheap from Mitre 10 Mega or similar ($2 plus some flex lead and a plug), could mount a couple on a peice of timber and use like a lead light, run an extension cord out of the house. We've got one on a peice of ply we shift around where we need it. Can't use in rain and have to run it out and take it in every night but sh*t loads more productive than posting on crew all night.

Can loan you and RCD so you don't fry yourself between now and daylight savings. Oh sh*t, hang on, we're racing to get back into the water.... doh

right, that'll be the next buy. i'll ask mumma if she can pick some up tomorrow. man the neighbours are gonna love me by summer time :)

I got a 500 watt floodlight pretty cheap a few years ago.

Real bright, but you need to be careful with the heat they pump out.

Although that is a bonus in winter!

Dark? What has dark got to do with it? You planning to anchor every night when the sun goes down?

When Geoff Stagg was building Whispers 2 there were apparently some issues with the neighbours. They thought the hammering should finish by 10, but Geoff had a boat to build. He didn't post on the internet, but he did get a 45 foot yacht built - in quick time.

its kinda hard to rebuild a boat just by touch.. it sometimes helps to be able to see what you're doing. hence the dark problem. i will buy some lights for the shed tomorrow, then i can start doing late nights on it.

Come on man...! Get some lights in the tent and get stuck in :thumbup:

Winter is the best time for getting stuff done, cause it's dark and cold and not much going on during the week. What else are you going to do on a tuesday night, watch Ice Skating with the stars or something?

Few neon tubes off trade me....... Done deal.

Problem is, your tent is too flash. If you did a rubbish job on the tent you'd know your days were numbered and you're work faster.

See below for an example of a sus tent and work light:

Wild Thing Refit 1 022a.jpg

to be honest i'd rather have those beautiful black gold toe rails that you have cooking there. the shrink wrap is bloody strong but the clear plastic on my tent doesnt seem to like the wind too much. already have a few rips and 1 blown out panel. what sort of vaccum pump are you using adrian? wanna do a trade? i'll give you a javelin for itn :P

I borrowed a nice little one off my mate at Oracle. I have a little one of my own but it's too noisy to leave running over night. I try not to make any serious noise after 7pm. Have to keep the neighbours sweet when you've got a 5 x 6 x 12m shed - I mean 'temporary' structure, in the back yard! Already had the council over once..... :? "Nah nah, it will be finished in 6 weeks I promise........" Turns out the council inspector had a Townson 28 and knew I was doing a major!

I really cant believe you have only just figured out you can turn a light on so that you can work later than 5pm during winter......

+1

I've had to make a few overnight repairs during regattas to keep my boat on the water. No idea where I'd be if I didn't know how to put a light on.

my shed has knot only 1 light, but 3! :)

i got the foam glued and bogged back into the starboard side tonight and i plan on getting the port side done tomorrow night.

man that doco on staggy and whispers is bloody awesome :thumbup:

Archived