mini 650

I used to work for Tyco Flow Control and a division of them, Aquaspec import direct from Valterra. Be aware when buying these valves there is a model with a plastic disc rather than the SS one. The plastic ones tend to sh*t them selves and a more of a bitch to operate as they dont slide on the seats as well as the SS. They are based in Mt Wellington and although they don't like it you can rock up to customer service and buy them. Much cheaper than getting them from marine shops.

Whats the history of this hull , who's the designer? The only one I can recall at this stage was John Welsford's design for Chris Sayer... was there another hull for someone else ?

That one is pre-Chris's attempts. There were 2 of us who had a crack long before Chris but ran into 'The Frence connection' i.e. we both got screwed over by some snail eating tossers.

Designed by a dude called Mark Stevens, a Devonport lad with more than a few speedsters and cruisers to his name. He did it for fun and didn't push what is a good skill of his. Other boats inc a 20ft beer ballasted tailor sailor called One Ate One (think metric 69) which launched at the same time as the E5.9's and kicked their arses. A 24ft 18ft skiff with build in chilly bins and 2 double grunters downstairs, called Disorderly Behaviour, one I sailed in the CC unofficially as back then most YC's thought if you exceeded 10kts your head would fall off. DB has just under gone a big tweak and is about to go splash again I hear, it's up Squids way somewhere I'm told. There quite a few others inc some keelers. A 50ft centerboard performance world cruiser is a month or so from going splash in Nelson as I write. Size for size Marks boats are fast very very fast and we could usually beat any equivalent one with ease.

Was build for the Mini Transat but on Dec 12th I was told the rules were changing on Jan 1st but if I could get it measured pre then it would be grandfathered. I said sweet send the paperwork down. They said No it has to come to France. I said WTF you morons I'm on the other side of the world and can't afford to charter a jet plane, send the papers and I'll get NZYF (as it was in those days) to measure it. They said 'We do knot believe YNZ has the experience required to measure a race yacht'. It then spiralled into a series of communications that ended with 'f*ck YOU WANKERS'. I was told there was some concern a no-one from no-where land may arrive and upset the status quo, but knot sure how much if any truth there was to that. But then seeing what happened to Chris maybe there was something in it.

The rule changes were to significant to change the boat to suit sadly. That one above is 300mm too wide, has a max freeboard of 720mm where it had to be 750 min and it has no escape tunnel. Those were the major Oh bugger's.

The foam you see being gently removed :) was part of the Mini rules, each boat had to have 2 cube of the stuff. Around here that's knot needed so out it comes.

Build of Duracore {a magnificent material to work with} being 10mm end grain balsa with a 1mm skin of hoop pine each side then glassed. I had the Duracore made in Aussie as the US stuff was heavy. The Devonport post office scales showed the Aussie 1/2 the weight of the US.

It was built in the same space a dude called Bruce Farr designed a boat called a 727 and a few other of his fine earlier things.

So after the rule change meltdown spirits were dashed big time. I headed overseas sailing and working with the plan to come back and finish her in full Mini mode even if with a few knot legal measurements, and do local stuff. But things moved on, I was away longer than expected, someone knocked up the missus and it just never happened.

So the day finally came... one may say reality bit, when she had to go. So I gave someone a deal from hell in the theory his new work involves similar things as doing the boat project would. The thinking was it could/should be a win-win for the place of his employment, the boat and him himself.

Now hopefully JH will pull finger, knot get carried away with overly fancy or complex bollixs and just get her floating.

yeah thanks KM......now i get to be poor for the next 2 years :mrgreen:

dads even volunteered to build a poly tunnel over the boat this weekend while im away sailing!

then build the keel stub/floors when your away sailing? fit the galley/pipe berths while your sailing. smart man would make you atleast sand it. will get to a stage where he should finish it for you just to get it out of the yard. :lol:

then build the keel stub/floors when your away sailing? fit the galley/pipe berths while your sailing. smart man would make you atleast sand it. will get to a stage where he should finish it for you just to get it out of the yard. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiled rotten..

I wonder how long it will take JH to realise those that would like some help, first have to help themselves and be nice/work hard for/ help those he wants help or assistance from?

yeah thanks KM......now i get to be poor for the next 2 years :mrgreen:

And you expect that to change after it's launched????

Anti-foul, mooring/berthage, crew who are always thirsty, outboard fuel, being you a new mast twice a year and the list goes on. Don't piss off your boss JH, you will learn to appreciate the weekly income for a long while yet...... actually until about the same time you die, there abouts :?

.now i get to be poor for the next 2 years :mrgreen:
Depends on what you consider poor. No point in having money if you don't use it.

Being Poor is having no money and needing the essentials of life, like Food and a roof over your head. Broke is a better word to use.

So you now have a pretty special boat. I would say that is worth spending the money on. Being able to do the sport you love and be out there on the water, I wouldn't consider that being poor at all. Not a lot get this kind of oportunity. But hey, I realise you were only making fun.

Still, you need to put the hard yards in too. If everything is handed to you, then you don't get the satisfaction, the appreciation and the sense of ownership. The fight to own and keep a boat like this will also help give you the fight and determination when out on the racecourse.

Of course all this crap about boats, poverty, luck etc will pale into insignificance the first time KM finds epoxy prints on his daughter!

:lol:

:clap: :clap: :clap: And strands of carbon fibre....

Of course all this crap about boats, poverty, luck etc will pale into insignificance the first time KM finds epoxy prints on his daughter! :lol:

You are indeed both wise and highly accurate ;)

:lol:

just bought big cradle for it off trademe apparently..... dad spending all my money while i was at the ok (got crook and started vomitting so pulled out of it)

havent really done much on the mini so far cause i cant start grinding stuff out of the cockpit area and fordeck until we get a shed built over it and all dried out. i think we are going back to dads idea of doing it with wooden frames then shrink wrapping it

JH, I have 4 lengths (pos more of ~1inch dia) galv pipe - lengths from 3m - 4m long,

Might be useful.

Past use was as part of a shelter over a cav 32

let me know if you want them.

I've gone for the wooden frame and shrink wrap plan on my boat. my shed is 12 x 5 x 6m and it's into week 10 without a problem. Although when you put it up you have to have zero wind. Any more than 5 kts and it will be a cock up. If you want the name of the guy I used send me a PM.

Archived