mini 650

yep did that tonight W.T, needs a little more heat in some places but its pretty much done. i will get some photos tomorrow when its light. looks good sitting in there all set up on her new cradle :thumbup:

i also re-evaluated and came to a conclusion: bugger water ballast shes getting a swing keel. KM you still have that keel blank lying around? what about email address for mr. stevens?

i emailed rebecca hayter about photos of the keel setups on chris sayers boats, she has forwarded my emails to him

Chris used carbon keel fins on his last 2 minis. I helped him build one of them so have a fair idea of what's involved. I will do a carbon keel for WT sometime soon, so will have moulds done for that.

Why don't you just do an old alloy one man? Don't waste your money on a carbon fin that will probably snap in 6 months anyway. ;-) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

:lol: i was thinking more along the lines of foam stiffened with carbon box section down the centre. jesus sjb!! are you offering to engineer it for me?

The keel she was drawn with is very similar to the 2nd one down in SJB's drawing, the canted forward one. She also had a dagger board forward of the mast in an attempt to get her going to windward to a OK degree.

The keel's laminated fancy firmer wood, whose name I have forgotten, and harder cedar with a pile of cloths, some black, going over that. Thanks to the Navy Dockyard ;)

I wouldn't use that keel locally, that one was designed and positioned more for a smaller and specific wind angle range. It isn't an all-rounder. The shed it's most likely to be in will be outta here in a month or so. As it has treasures in it, or as the Wa calls them 'all that crap', there will be a clean out, it's gonna be ugly. Anyway the foil shape will be all wrong if you stand it up right more as you should, it wasn't shaped for that. Some foam and new templates could jiggy that I suppose.

It's all legit Gappy so breath easy there fella (thanks for being the watchdog though :thumbup:).

Anyway. There's no point in trying to keep secrets too long in the little old incestuous Auckland boat scene.

Bound to get sprung one way or the other.

When it's that wide we call it a moooooono Sloops.

Nah if its one of Robs designs it will be faster and require way less work than that! That guy looks to be fighting the tiller too much in that video!

Nah if its one of Robs designs it will be faster and require way less work than that! That guy looks to be fighting the tiller too much in that video!

Definitely. Should be around 20-25% lighter than those production European boats.

Archived