mini 650

so thats an open 650 knot a mini 650? looks like alot of fun! :thumbup:

we repaired the buggered section of the tent this morning and i have cleaned the cockpit up and bailed it out and chocked the deck up a bit to get a bit of air flow inside to dry it out. going to don my tyvek suit tomorrow morning and do some serious grinding..... yay :crazy:

cradle was $50 off trademe and fits just about perfectly

post-10268-141887177893.jpg

post-10268-141887177896.jpg

post-10268-141887177898.jpg

That's a pretty bad tent hemroid you've got there. I had one develop in the WT tent this morning during one of the big dumpings. Your tent looks quite professional though. Mine looks like a Sao Paulo slum! It's good for 35 knots though!

amazing what a bit of old 2x4 from a mates house can do! i got some sanding done in the cockpit today so i'll try to finish it off tomorrow when i can get to placemakers

Sweet tent JH.

That's a 'Herbie 650MT', as Marks boats all were called for some reason I can't remember, probably drinking related. It's also a member of the 'Purple Death Cruzing Club' :thumbup:

But you aren't JH, to young to be allowed to partake in the Initiation Rights, but ya bloody close. Will book ceremony in for the launching..... stand by to chunder leather tasting purple for 3-4 days :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice looking work there WT.

purple death aye.. a delightful aroma of old tram tickets and a horses ass. jeez adrian can you do a wetbox for me? why knot do the cockpit and foils while youre at it..

purple death aye.. a delightful aroma of old tram tickets and a horses ass. jeez adrian can you do a wetbox for me? why knot do the cockpit and foils while youre at it..

Are you looking to join the MIFTS (Marine Industry Favour Trading Scheme) JH?

Nope, but I've got about 1.5mm x 20m2 of paint and zebra stripes that need to relocate from the topsides of WT to a industrial vacuum cleaner via a Rupes sander if you're keen.

First thing I did when I got the boat was try to take them off. But the whole lot is paint. Whoever though the zebre stripes were a good idea made sure they weren't coming off in a hurry!

I spent pretty much all day laminating and bagging up this little treat.... All in the name of not putting the mast through the floor!

what layup did you use? is it just foam under the carbon or wood?

It's all ply and carbon box sections under the carbon taping. I think it's a lot safer than foam in that application. If you were building a new boat you wouldn't do what i've done though. I was restricted by the existing calson beam which I wasn't keen to go cutting into. The step isn't complete in the picture, there's more to go on top of that to get the load out to the bunk fronts. It's far from ideal, but without really changing the interior, it's the best I can do.

sorry about the thread hi-jack but, what thickness ply did you use and how many layers of what weave and weight carbon over it? or was it solid laminated ply? surely its at least solid under the mast?

more on topic whats the min length for a keelboat in the coastal and auck-tour and around north island? will the mini650 be able to race in them?

Can't find any obvious mention of minimum length on the CC measurements page.

With the mast step, I added 1 x CUD450g and 1 x CDB400g to the inside skin of the hull, lapping up onto the bulk fronts and main bulkhead, then 3 x 20mm ply frames going across, then taped the frames in with 2 x CDB400g and CUD capping on top of the frames. Then a 50x50mm x 3.5mm wall carbon box section with cedar core between the main bulkhead and the keel, on top of the celson. Taped that in with 1 x CDB 400g. That's what's in the picture.

perfect, just found the lay up schedule for my wetbox :thumbup:

a mini is about 250mm too short for the coastal and im knot sure about the r.n.i but we are going to build it all to cat 1 so that we could hopefully get dispensation to do these races. afterall, she was still built to sail across the atlantic

Archived