Nelson/Marlborough Newibe looking for experience as crew

Kiwi303

Any day sailors want a extra hand hauling on ropes? And is willing to point out WHICH rope to pull?

I'm new to boats and looking to see if larger things than capsizing Optimists would suit me.

30, male, farm boy up in the hills near Murchison, more used to Under water than Over water activites (PADI Rescue Diver, Boat Diver, AOW, Deep Diver etc... SCUBA certs)

Grew up in Hamilton and didn't have much to do with boats, two trips on the Spirit of New Zealand, or the Spirit of Adventure (can't remember WHICH of the two, but one of them) when at High school. After dad died and mum moved to Kawhia harbour I would go out during the university breaks and potter around, was a member of the Te Waitere Boat Club and occasionally took one of the club Optimists out and had fun splashing around the inlet. Other than sit-on kayaks that is as far as my sailing experience goes.

I'm reasonably intelligent, Know enough not to open the bilge drain to empty the boat while the boat is IN the water, and don't have two left feet.

On the cons side, I'm deaf so either need to be on a big enough boat that spray doesn't constantly drench my hearing aid (Hobiecats at full rip on a stiff chop are to wet), or there would be a lot of point and guess with my hearing aid in a drybox.

So... any day sailors looking for a hand to pull ropes around the Tasman/Marlborough region? I'd love to hear from you, I'm probably to green yet to be much use on a racing boat, and the season is nearly over anyway I believe?

Cheers

Rhys

Welcome Rhys

Great part of the country to be in, I grew up in Nelson and the boating is great.

If you were interested in sailing on the Spirit of New Zealand again (easy this time there is only one!) they are always keen to see more crew, not good for regular sailing but a trip on there every now and then is great fun. The focus is just as much on the people skills as well as the boat skills so you don't have to be fully clued up on sailing. They will be in Nelson over Easter weekend doing day sails if you want to go for a look. Shelia and Chris Budgen are a very enthusiastic local couple involved, they'll be there over Easter.

Good luck getting out on the water, :thumbup: :thumbup:

Hi there Rhys

Just saw your post looking to get into some sailing in the Nelson area- Well I might be abel to help out, we've got a 28ft yacht that needs to be used and any excuse to take her out sounds good. No problem about your experience, good on you for wanting to give it more of a go.

I actually work at sea, so probably best if you gave me an email some stage sailabull2@yahoo.co.nz if you're still keen that is.

Cheers

Steve.

Archived