Young 88 racing

the 88's still seem to have the title of most competative one design class in the country.

Hypothetically speaking.... If a person was in the market for a young 88, Of the ones that are on the market at the moment, are there any that could be competitive at the top level?

Are the wooden ones too soft?

Is there any difference in the mk1 vs. mk2 in terms of hull shape?

Are the last known weights available anywhere?

the 88's still seem to have the title of most competative one design class in the country.

This is like one of those questions that politicians ask in Parliament to give the relevant minister an opportunity to go on for hours about what a good job he is doing. :lol:

Just looking at the boats on Trademe at the moment, the asking prices range from $45k to $82k and is a pretty good indication of the state of the equipment and competitiveness of them all i.e. the $82k is a refitted former nationals winner and the $78k one is not far behind.

There are at least three owners of boats for sale who are members of this site!

But having said that, Booboo and his team showed that you can get a good result with an older boat at last year's nationals.

The only difference between the Mark I and II is in the length of the cabin/cockpit i.e. an adjustment to the deck mould; the easy way to tell is the Mark IIs have the small extra hatch in the middle of the cabin. The changeover happened at or about hull #81.

I think that the wooden boats suffer a bit when it comes to resale but this is generally reflected in the price.

It has been years and years since the Y88 Association formally published weights but the current owner should be able to show you their measurement certificate when you get as far as looking at a boat. You should also be aware that the current certificate is invalidated on sale of a boat i.e. each new owner then needs to obtain a new certificate.

Go along to some of the events around the nationals if you want to pick up some of the gossip!

I seem to remember the mark 1 decks being quite a lot heavier also.

A good mark 1 and mark 2 will still probably weigh the same (class minimum) but the mark 2 has the weight in a more suitable place.

What about the laser? The optimist?

Pffft. the Y88 indeed!

OK... so I should have qualified my statement.

I should have said most competitive one design keelboat class in the country. Unfortunately the Platu's never really took off.

I'm too old for an opti (by about 25 years) & too fat and unfit for a laser!

Assuming you haven't been won over to the Laser/Opti concept LT, this page of the Squaddy website has the 88 nationals results going all the way back to 1999 (which didn't work for me but everything from 2000 did).

http://www.rnzys.org.nz/Sailing/Regatta ... fault.aspx

Haven't checked 'em all myself but my guess would be that the same names will be coming up all over again in the top 10 boats each year.

Anyway thought that might be another way of answering your question as to which boats have the potential to do the job at the nationals.

You can still have a hell of a lot of fun without winning a nationals though! :thumbup:

Not sure that the timber hulled boats can class race anymore? Something to do with the hulls having to have come out the mold?

There a few glass hulled / timber decked boats out there though which do measure. A well built / maintained ply deck should be stiffer and lighter than a low spec laminate deck.

Otherwise you pretty much get what you pay for.

Anything for less than 75/80k looks like it will need the difference spent on hardware and sails to get it up to top spec. There don;t seem to be many old masts at the front of the fleet. If you really want to spend the coin i think class rules only allow one set new sails per year, so a boat with a good inventory of 1/2/3 year old sails in good shape has some merits.

Booboo and co did a great job one year I recall, but believe I also recall some pretty significant deck / stanchion reinforcing going on that sunday morning?

OK... so I should have qualified my statement.

I should have said most competitive one design keelboat class in the country.

Fair enough.

Then I counter that the Stewart 34s are at least the equal of the Young 88s for competitive one design racing.

And you can get a bloody good Stewart 34 for 50K.

And you get a bigger better boat for cruising too...

Looking at TM at the moment, it looks like you might just be able to steal the cheapest 1020 for about the same as the most expensive 88. However the most expensive Stewart is sitting right up there between them!

If you are passionate about firing up a debate on NZ's most competitive racing/best value cruising keelboat class, why not kick off a poll in a new thread? It is really easy. Don't overlook the Townson 32s, I read their nationals newsletter last year and they are not taking any prisoners either. :thumbup:

So perhaps you should try Stewart 34 racing.

The difference between 1020 and S34 is only a few mm (was inches) in LOA, Beam etc

Come out on any Thursday 3pm for 4pm start but with daylight saying ending the start time will soon be eatlier.

Book a crew position EARLY through Ponsonby Cruising Club and Bill Miller will allocate you to a boat.

Competitive yes but some weeks are more intense than others :thumbup:

Just to be clear, I don't have anything against the Y88s at all. They're a fantastic boat, for both crusing and racing. And I am also a big fan of one deisng racing.

I just felt such a claim like "Y88s seem to have the most competitive one design (keelboat) racing in the country" couldn't just be allowed to go unchallenged as if it were an indisputable fact. I'm not saying it's not competitive, nor that it's not bloody good racing... just that to be able to lay claim to it being MORE competitive than any other one design keel boat racing in the country might be a bit of a stretch.

I would like to see some evidence that it's more competitive that the Stewart 34s, for a start - because my experience is that it isn't...

So perhaps you should try Stewart 34 racing.

and Bill Miller will allocate you to a boat.

And I'd second this invite. Anyone wanting to try out some good racing should definitely give it a go. If there's a better run keelboat class association in the country I'd be surprised. Bill Miller is a friggin' legend and great guy...

Just to be clear, I don't have anything against the Y88s at all. They're a fantastic boat, for both crusing and racing. And I am also a big fan of one deisng racing.

I just felt such a claim like "Y88s seem to have the most competitive one design (keelboat) racing in the country" couldn't just be allowed to go unchallenged as if it were an indisputable fact. I'm not saying it's not competitive, nor that it's not bloody good racing... just that to be able to lay claim to it being MORE competitive than any other one design keel boat racing in the country might be a bit of a stretch.

I would like to see some evidence that it's more competitive that the Stewart 34s, for a start - because my experience is that it isn't...

For the purposes of efficiency, can L T still be permitted to purchase one if he signs a waiver acknowledging that their competitiveness is in dispute and that his statement was made in the heat of the moment?

Thanks also to those who made the effort to PM me expounding their view that the 88s are a one-design class either. I am off to put a prod on mine since it doesn't matter any more.

You people do realise there are tits on display in the other thread, don't you... :roll:

Fairly sure I've looked at this before. Basically what you want is a standard deviation based on what a boat sails to. The higher the number, the greater the variation.

Using last two years racing :

S34 Monday sprints : 0.0570

Y88 Thursday sprints : 0.0372

Y88 nats : 0.0249

farr 1020 nats : 0.0306

Case closed I think, can I go look at the tits now?

Fairly sure I've looked at this before. Basically what you want is a standard deviation based on what a boat sails to. The higher the number, the greater the variation.

Using last two years racing :

S34 Monday sprints : 0.0570

Y88 Thursday sprints : 0.0372

Y88 nats : 0.0249

farr 1020 nats : 0.0306

Case closed I think, can I go look at the tits now?

Sorry mark, we need two tail t-test to prove the significance of those figures, now where's that thread?

Archived