Round NZ race 2012

B00B00

A few years ago, the RAYC held a White Island briefing. Amoungst many useful comments, one by the Westpac rescue Helicopter pilot was memorable. With the night vision goggles, they can pick up the light from a cellpone in a plastic bag from 15km from memory, and if you can hear us, we have basically found you.

Within the last month, there was comment in one of the Sail-World emails stating that 90% of DSC VHFs are NOT connected to GPS's.

It's only your life that is at risk. :shh:

I agree that It is difficult to meet everyone's needs , due to varying experience that people have. I found the pool sessions far and away the most useful - getting into a life raft and actually blowing up the life jacket were things that I wouldn't normally do.

In fact I ended up giving the First Aid talks

So I agree that 90% of the course I wouldn't want to repeat, however I am not sure how you could organise a small refresher that met everyone's needs.

Some time ago I began writing a book on First Aid for outdoors : offshore yachties and climbing ( I spent 5 winters as the Dr for ski fields also) .

As all the books I have seen were aimed at land use or written by people who have never been offshore and have no idea what its like trying to fix someone when its blowing dogs off chains. However i got busy with work and it languished. If there was any interest I could reserect it?

Archived