Round NZ race 2012

B00B00

I still look forward to a decision on the Short Handed Division with limited crew change outs. I believe it would increase the fleet size significantly.

Just as importantly it would introduce a whole new wave of people to long distance short handed racing.

I still look forward to a decision on the Short Handed Division with limited crew change outs. I believe it would increase the fleet size significantly.

Just as importantly it would introduce a whole new wave of people to long distance short handed racing.

Jono, we are all having a break from it at present but I haven't forgotten your ideas and will either get you along to a meeting or you can write a submission if that suits you better

We have keen as crew but as yet no boat. One option is subject to a Inspector being happy enough with the blow job/s he'll sign it off, still a 50/50 call. I'm sure Smithy now has a 24/7 webcam aimed at his so might notice it's missing ;) With another option the security in the marina is in is just too good so we wouldn't get far :) One option offered is a f**ked if I'm heading down there in that sort of a deal.

But we are trying hard to work something out. Have made an enquiry about chartering a boat out of Aussie. Be interesting to see what that'll cost but expecting a fair bit, probably a bit too much but no harm in asking is the theory.

Hey Jono, in the RNI there was a provision in the S.I. for swapping crew between legs it just didn't qualify you for the overall prizes. I'm sure they will have something similar in the RNZ. If you found enough people who want to swap crew at each/any stop I recon there would be a good case for another division.

We have keen as crew but as yet no boat. One option is subject to a Inspector being happy enough with the blow job/s he'll sign it off, still a 50/50 call. I'm sure Smithy now has a 24/7 webcam aimed at his so might notice it's missing ;) With another option the security in the marina is in is just too good so we wouldn't get far :) .

I keep expecting to see a shot of the Marshall turn up in Rigger's "Photos of the Day" leaving a trail of Mt Gay bottles down the harbour..... :shock: :shock:

Why not charter a boat here?

The one in Aussie is a tad build for purpose and it was a on the fly type ask rather than been hunted down on purpose. Besides that, no specific reason bar finding a boat we'd like to take I suppose.

You have something in mind Zen or just a general question?

Anyone want to be a Bart Cummings? You supply the boat and us water jockeys will make it look good for you :thumbup:

We have keen as crew but as yet no boat. One option is subject to a Inspector being happy enough with the blow job/s he'll sign it off, still a 50/50 call. I'm sure Smithy now has a 24/7 webcam aimed at his so might notice it's missing ;) With another option the security in the marina is in is just too good so we wouldn't get far :) .

I keep expecting to see a shot of the Marshall turn up in Rigger's "Photos of the Day" leaving a trail of Mt Gay bottles down the harbour..... :shock: :shock:

Good point. I must smash Riggers camera :lol: :lol:

Why not charter a boat here?

The one in Aussie is a tad build for purpose and it was a on the fly type ask rather than been hunted down on purpose. Besides that, no specific reason bar finding a boat we'd like to take I suppose.

You have something in mind Zen or just a general question?

Anyone want to be a Bart Cummings? You supply the boat and us water jockeys will make it look good for you :thumbup:

Good point. I must smash Riggers camera :lol: :lol:

I have a few spares - the wife's camera is a good one and I bought it for her so it is subject to recall in case of my camera failing :thumbup:

Not sure Smithy. I would think that there should be allowance - the course I had to do in Malaysia was full on, tried all the gear.

Someone here should know who would be the right person to ask.

I did the JB course in Malaysia too. They cover pretty much everything plus firefighting and helicopter underwater escape. I would hope there would be crossover between the two. I would hate to have to do a refresher course this year, then another when I do the RNI...

You'd have to approach YNZ. The course sounds way more comprehensive than the bs we endure here. Really annoys me that they expect people like John Lidgard to repeat this nonsense every 5 years as though he's forgotten everything he's ever learnt away from the course. I'd really like to see some common sense when it comes to those of us who have done a few miles already.

Then how would the "Service Provider" make a buck"?

The way of the world - chip away at anything with an element of danger or difference, lobby, cajole, coerce to have "controls and "must does" in place, then make a buck out of supplying the "required" service which a few years ago was never required.

Look at Osh.

The HUET course was fun, had one guy try to climb over me to get out - I followed the instructors advice / rules - I'm sure he would never do that again

I had the same thing happen in Aberdeen. And got a foot in my face to boot. He was a big yank Drill Pusher, and scared shitless..

I had a great mate who had done tens of thousands of coastal (mostly on the Wairarapa and East Cape, BOP) and blue water miles both racing and cruising, he was under 50, swam every day and was still an active surf lifesaver, he is dead now, drowned, after his yacht lost its keel 7nm off Tauranga in pretty benign conditions.

He hadn't done the advanced sea survival course.

I have no doubt that if he had done the course he would be with us today as most of the issues that collaberated to bring his demise revolved around lack of knowledge on how to use safety gear and no experience or appreciation of what conditions can be like fully kitted and in the water. He made some decisions that he would not have made if he had done that course.

I have another mate who has done over 500,000 nm, is a master mariner, has done the course and keeps his certificate current.

The course is brilliant and keeps you current with the latest gear and how to use it, it also brings you up to date with the latest SAR practices and thinking. There is also information about how to deal with the rescue man on the helo wire (avoiding the static electricity he generates) and secondary drowning (still killing people today who should survive) and many other little kernels of info that greatly enhance safety at sea.

There is also the chance to spend time with like minded people and learn from their experiences, the last one I attended had people who ahd dealt with whale attackes, fire on board, rig failure at sea, lost rudder at sea (and jury rigged for a 500nm safe voyage) and mob.

But i guess if you know everything it would be a waste of time.

Fair enough Marsh.

But is there room for a "refresher"?

Must we really send your master mariner through the basics every 5 years?

Things do change and I agree that getting updated would be prudent.

What sits at the back of my mind is that the course is all about what to do after you have "given up" , (couldn't think of a better phrase - meaning when you hit the red button you are leaving your boat and control of the situation is now out of your hands).

All well and good, but there is nothing available, through this course or elsewhere that I am aware of, that will help keep you from pushing that button. Seamanship skills and how to handle heavy weather, crew management..................

There was a widely publicised critique of the report on the Aussie boat that hit Flinders, I believe it is still on the SSANZ site. I read that report and came to a different conclusion to that writer. Who is right? Of course it is hard to criticise in such situations as people have died and there are other people to think of.

But where can someone go to get the experience and knowledge to become a competent offshore skipper? Once upon a time we had much bigger fleets for the island races so someone wanting to learn would find it easier to get a ride and you could learn by doing it with someone else. That's harder to do today.

Archived