RNI Budget Costs & Gear

Fish

Here's a question. A couple have mentioned an advantage having furler. Ignoring the $$$$$, is having a furler an advantage?Or is the loss of performance not worth it?or is the a size where the switch becomes valid?

We never use our furler partially in or out, we used it in conjuction with a hanked on staysail and a lose luffed reacher so hoisted one and furled up the other makes changing gears easier with little loss of speed.

Willow, did you have to get your sails recut for the furler? I am thinking it makes a lot of sense, not for reefing, but just getting rid of a sail when you use another one. Just wondered what was involved in furling existing headsails. I have heard that some yachts use soft battens in their blade sails for example...

Smithy,

We usually use the 1# & 2# on the furler so battens are not an issue but I can see they would be the 2# is a tri radial we had made for the boat and I let the sail maker know I would be furling it to put it away, I don't know weather this had an influence on the design or not. We used it in conjuction with a staysail but are looking at adding a solent stay and a hanked battened blade to fill a gap in the wind range between 25 - 30 knots, our boat has a very large J (4.88m) for a 36 footer with gives us plenty of foredeck to work with.

Archived