Brin Wilson Memorial Race

Changed

11.55AM for us slow boats and 6.25PM for the big boys. That's the warning signal times. Meant to be having a party and prizegiving at Kawau Saturday night.

Were looking at it closely but are hauling the boat out now so can't do it.

Have to say though, the last minute change to the SI's resulting in Corinthian Div crews having to take a day off work would have killed it for us. That being the start moving from 6.30pm to 11.55 am on the Friday.

Its a 110nm race, with practically no delivery home. That can easily be fitted into a weekend without needing a day's annual leave. I really don't care if I finish the same time as Wired, I'm not interested in the Premier div. I don't agree with split start times. I'd prefer to have a big start and see how long I can hang onto the fast boats. The White Is race was a good example of spliting the start times leading to two entirely different races.

May as well race different courses or just different weekends. Your not going to get smaller crews building up sea miles in mid length races if you chuck on needing a day off work for a 20hr race.

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

quite right, the split in white island race was ridiculous. We started later, and half the fleet might as well have gone to the three kings and back for all we saw of them, it was two separate races.

Its not as if any handicap system is capable of running a decent race between wired and an SR26 / 727 etc, especially the bull...t handicaps used here. Why try and make it something it isn't? If its the conditions for wired, they will win, if it suits a 727 then they will win. Sometimes the best conditions are at the start, sometimes at the end for the slower boats. If it 'never' suits a 727 then look at the handicaps, not the start times.

Also disagree with this Friday 1pm start. If the race is long enough to justify needing a day off work, start it at 8 or 9am, or 7pm the night before.

A 1pm start requires taking a whole day off work for a 6hr advantage in start time, just not worth it.

The HCs used were the PHRF weren't they? Didin't see any problem with the staggered start. There are two divisions. Corinthian boats are racing against Corinthian boats. In the end we're all there for our own reasons anyway and I guess if we don't like the SIs then we don't go. The nice thing about the staggered start for the BW will be that we should all be there for the barbie on Saturday.

I've got no problems with the HC's, accept that I don't win with them :D

I am assuming the majority of boats doing the Corintian div want to start earlier to get to the piss up on time, otherwise surely they wouldn't have changed the start time? Some crews will want to do a big race for the piss up, some crews will want to do it for the race, or just for the experince. Whatever the reason that is fine.

Hope there is a good fleet, but I wont be there.

One problem with splitting the fleet is where to split it. Typical split is around 0.8 PHRF. There are plenty of boats that can have good healthy racing either side of 0.8, but not if the fleet is split.

Any move to split start times to get closer finish times is really just mark fowey racing in disguise. I would still do a race if it had split start times. At the end of the day those organising it are trying to come up with the "best" (most popular) format.

Having to take a days annual leave for this race is an extra hurddle, and one that isn't really necessary in my veiw. The Southern 600 is a new series and a very good concept. I'm keen to support it. Hope I can be there next year, preferably on the weekend.

Guest Rocket

Agree on start times - there is not enough leave days to play with family let alone go yachting. Friday at 6:00 pm works for everyone - enough time to get set up then a good night sail....

Personally would rather finish at 6:00am on a Monday and have to struggle through the day than give up a work day....

Firstly We will be there at lunchtime friday

Fish, if I'm not mistaken you are one that's been calling for longer races so how about not bagging the one club that runs them and FYI it's over 150nm making it the longest Cat 3 race in the country I believe. The Coastal starts on friday with A-T starting thursday.Also you don't hear the boats that sail up from Tauranga to do this race complaining do we.

Rocket, this concept is getting smaller and older boats out doing these events so its working isn't it.

As for the start time it wasn't changed from the original NOR but the amendment is I believe to clear up a conflict/mistake in some later document.

Agree Danaide. Often the most vocal critics haven't even put in an entry. This has been a cool series. White Island, Bolokovic and the Brin Wilson, all at Cat 3+ or less. RAYC put their hand up to run this series and I for one have enjoyed the opportunity to prepare and race the boat over longer distances. Would be great to see more small boats out there and over time that will likely happen. We should support the clubs that push the boundaries and offer races with more challenge not bag them over he net.

Point taken, no I'm not doing the race. I didn't intend to bag the club, I know a lot of time goes into organising these events by a number of volunteers. I think it is a very good series, my apologies if I've offended.

I calculated the distance from Amendment 3, which doesn't have Cuvier Is in the course (approx 113nm). I see the SI's have Cuvier in which give 150nm. At that length yes I agree it would warrant the earlier start time.

Coppelia will be there, sailing in the prem. division, as the only two-handed boat in that division. Yes, agree the different start times are a bit of a problem for boats either side of the split, and also in the "special" divisons. However, top marks to RAYC for running the series, we have had lots of fun so far!

Coincidentally Sandspit Yacht club is running the Fred Lidgard Memorial in Kawau Bay on Saturday 27th. Fred was Brin Wilson's father-in-law. Clearwater Cove Yacht Club is racing to Kawau Friday night and challenging for the Fred Lidgard Memorial. Nimble will be there Fred was my father.

Thats great, the Lidgards had a great presence in Kawau Bay, not just becuase of the island connection but also a lot of supportive boat owners locally. We used to race the winter series up at Sandspit in the 80's and every second boat was a Lidgard of some description.

Got our entry in, we are 2 handed this time so hoping for a little less wind than the white island trip. The lastest ammendment is for channel island to port not cuvier so should get to kauwau early enough to enjoy a rum. looks like we might get a bit of a bashing bringing the boat up on

wednesday nite tho :?

I'm coming over from Sydney on Thursday to do the race on Mr. Roosevelt with my mate Matt.

Looking forward to sailing in NZ waters again. We are sailing two-up as well.

See you at the BBQ at Kawau :D

Archived