Sticky stuff for hatch perspex

Elenya

I'm hoping the collective wisdom (that excludes responses from Knot-me) of the forum may have some information to help. I replaced the persex in my aluminium framed deck hatches about 18 months ago. We used the recommende Sika flex and followed the directions. Within a couple of weeks we discovered seperation between Sika flex and the perspex. Leaking nicely as we beat down the west coast to Fiordland.

A good bit of duct tape fixed the problem, and remains in place. Great stuff.

My question is . Does anyone have experience with a different or better sticky stuff? Anythoughts on 5200? or a product called or made by simpsons?

Thanks for any thoughts

Did you use the Sika primer?? I found the Sika to work really well only if you use the primer. It is supposedly for UV protection of the sealant, but it makes a big difference to it's adhesion. Plus enure the Perspex is clean and a solvent wipe to ensure no grease. Ethanol is very good at cutting grease away and leaving no residue. But Acetone & MEK will also work. I have heard of comments that these solvents can break down the perspex over time. But personally have never found any such issue other than the normal crazing Perspex gets over the years.

Simpson which is a Bostick product have a dedicated Sealant adhesive for Perspex. I have not personally used 5600, but have heard comments it is good. There is one other a few rave on about here, but can't remember it. Not sure if a search would help, but give it ago.

Oh and one mistake often made, make sure you have a good bed of about 3mm of sealant between the perspex and frame. Many push it down too hard and squeeze it all out and the gap is too small. For a mechanical seal, you need the bed gap to allow some movement during heating and cooling etc.

I don't know nuffink bout the Simson stuff,What I do know is that when I did my windows on my last yacht, that only on my third attempt when I did everything the long way, cleaning properly, priming, using a "spacer" foam etc, it worked a treat. All my shortcuts costs me a bundle of $ and made it take 6 times as long as it should have - given that each time I did a poor job I had to remove it all before doing it again.

On my current yacht I did it right the first time - and paid someone to do it for me!

I can supply bulk (box lots) of the Samson stuff at a good price and that applies to anyone here. P.S. I am not doing this commercially, I will just supply to crew members because I can get the stuff trade. But I won't make anything on it, so I won't get into just individual tubes. Maybe if anyone orders anything, they can make a small liquid contribution to Squid for supply the means of us all "networking".

Archived