1020 nationals

Bogan

I count 12 on rnzys site but have seen Hicky Burr in town.The sailing instructions are a bit hard to understand under rules for this Farr regatta. Are 1.2(a)&(B) the only CLASS rules that matter for 1020, not like MRX which states "The Farr MRX class rules" with no exceptions or amendments? This subject came up last year.

From the sailing instructions

"1.1 The regatta will be governed by the rules as defined in the Racing Rules of Sailing 2009 - 2012.

1.2 The Farr 1020 Class Rules.

(a) The racing crew for the Farr 1020 Division shall not be more than 7 persons.

(B) For the Farr 1020 Division. Rule 12 (a) is amended to read:

Only one sail of each of the following shall be carried at all times while competing in the Championships;

Mainsail, No. 1 Genoa, No. 2 Genoa, No. 1 Spinnaker. The following sails are optional; Jib, Storm Jib, Tri

Sail, No. 2 Spinnaker.

1.3 The Farr MRX Class Rules.

1.4 The YNZ Safety Regulations Part II, Category 5 shall apply."

Agree, not sure what they are getting at.

Max crew of 7 is as per the class rules.

Sails alters the class rules slightly - under my reading of the class rules you must always carry a jib and storm jib for class racing (the boat is weighed with them and they aren't listed as something you are allowed to take off). Only one of each sail is as per rule 12(a).

On the 1020 website Under class rules, rule 12 (a) does not exist, rule 12 is to do with crew number. This has been in the sailing instruction for a few years and some boats comply with 1.2 (a) &(B) and cat 5 and other boats comply with the 1020 rules and the amendment to sails carried.

Ok...My take on it (and I'm very certain this is what is meant and intended)

Farr 1020 Class rules (with a modification made in point B)

Then for some reason they have highlighted the maximum crew no. is 7....prob a bit irrelevant as it's in the class rules already.

Point B is the one to pay attention to

(B) For the Farr 1020 Division. Rule 12 (a) is amended to read:

Only one sail of each of the following shall be carried at all times while competing in the Championships;

Mainsail, No. 1 Genoa, No. 2 Genoa, No. 1 Spinnaker. The following sails are optional; Jib, Storm Jib, Tri

Sail, No. 2 Spinnaker.

There is a Rule 12 (A) it's in the "Sail measurement restrictions" http://www.farr1020.org.nz/sail/sail.html

When I saw the draft SI's I suggested we add in "Sail measurement restriction 12(a)" but was told it's been that way for years so it's ok.

Anyway the thought process behind the change is that some boats don't have a No.3 Jib or Storm Jib and in the event of it being that windy the regatta will likely be postponed so why eliminate potential entries ? On Hard Labour if there is plenty of breeze we will have a No.3 Jib to give us a backup in the event of a failure with the No.2 Genoa.

One other point to remember is although the regatta is Category 5, Class rules exceed these requirements in a few areas. YOU STILL NEED TO MEET THE HIGHER OF THE TWO STANDARDS. One area in particular is lifelines to Category 3 standards...the trick being making sure the gaps between lifelines (and backboard if used) are less that the maximum spacing as specified.

I count 12 on rnzys site but have seen Hicky Burr in town

Hicky Burr is definitely not sailing - she's heading home to Kerikeri tomorrow.

But a possible late entry if they find themselves leading the fleet up the first beat on their delivery trip? :wink:

I count 12 on rnzys site but have seen Hicky Burr in town

Hicky Burr is definitely not sailing - she's heading home to Kerikeri tomorrow.

But a possible late entry if they find themselves leading the fleet up the first beat on their delivery trip? :wink:

only if you guys accept motor sailing as a valid entry......I also know a certain E5.9 that's looking for a tow out the river as HB leaves tomorrow morning :lol:

Not much to say... Worst result ever !

Tough conditions, well done to the Max Headroom team. Sorry to the Hard Labour team very poor performance on my part... But we will be back !

Would love to have heard the team talk on Max Headroom that had them come back from a 6th in the first race (with no discards, I see) to still take out the series. :thumbup:

Yep... only 5 races. The schedule was for 8 but we only just managed to get 2 races in late on Saturday. On Sunday the courses were shortened to 1 lap and we only just managed to get another 3 races in to meet the minimum requirement for a Nationals.

Well done to Max... a 6th place as a worst result in those conditions was a great achievement. It was incredibly easy to do far worse !

Archived