Wellington Squall

Wellington just turned on the fireworks with the weather.

I was down at Seaview Marina when the front hit.

It went from balmy sunny afternoon to rounding the horn weather in about 30 seconds flat.

I helped get a 50 footer with forestay off that was about to be lifted out under control in t shirt and shorts.

Hail, lightning, 50 knot gusts, the works.

There is a bit of carnage through the hardstand unfortunately. :(

post-1348-141887157275_thumb.jpg

This row of Etchells went down like domino's. I was about to drive by and noticed the first one wobbling, so waited.

There are a couple of other yachts flipped off their trailers in the trailerpark as well. :(

The Etchells looked the most impressive for sure. One trailer yacht (West Wight Potter) was blown off its trailer (there's a lesson in that) and D-Edge (a Young 7.8) tipped over trailer and all. It was back upright by the time we got there. One of the LBYC optimists was totally smashed up. Fortunately they have spares.

Well we got a couple of puffs of around 25 in the rum race last nite

I needed comforting......

Not flash for damaged boats tho - sad that :cry:

What about this for a storm.

From SA front page

Of all the great photos we've seen over the years, we've not seen any quite like these. From anarchist atelier, "Lake of Neuchâtel in Switzerland. The wind blew up to 130 kph and the temperature was -3°C. The images are before, during and after the storm. Here's a little perspective. The pictures are from Aldo Fischer." Btw, the duck above seems pretty nonplussed...

Before.jpg

During.jpg

After.jpg

Archived