Panmure 2 Handed

Quarterback

Panmure 2 handed leg 1 Fri 12th started at 1900 s-sw 20kts

Adiv line to Transformer Hcp Extract Digit 1st Transformer 2nd River Rebel 3rd

B div Line to Shreck's House Hcp to Elly 1st, Allgo 2nd, Mac Heath 3rd

Leg 2 today Pounui Is to Kawau

Leg One started in a good stiff breeze giving everyone a fast ride down the coast to Ponui. All except Haze's (Raven 31) kite, some of which may still be out there somewhere. People reporting some good speeds and wipe-outs in the rain squall that never had rain in it. We topped out at nudging 12knts but the speedo is under reading to some degree or we hope so as All Go the R830 got a lot faster. Sat happily in the 9's most of the way, just enough for a fun ride yet no spillage.

All parked up in North harbour for the night. Nice puffs blowing thru which cause a boat to go for a high speed drift straight at us.. AHHHGGGGGGG!!!!!!. As the occupants were having a quiet Milo and bible reading session on another boat there was some high speed rowing action. We grabbed the wayward beast and sorted it all out after some consternation at getting a 3rd boat mixed up in the whole shebang. Probably the worst yet bloody good bit was at one stage Reptiles 4kg alloy anchor was holding her, a 40fter and a 32fter in some healthy gusts (YNZ Inspectors please note this). But she hung on well the little beast even if it did take a bit of work to get it back in the am. With the boats now safely parted all that was left was to anchor the 40 again and listen to a nice bit of 'banter' between one on the 40fter and one on the 32fter. A statement was heard along the lines of 'come here then little boy and I'll kick your arse, ya w^&#$@r!!!'. As daylight arrived the statement sayer suddenly realised he'd been calling out a tiny 110kg lump of pure very fit young muscle so some very nicely done smoozing was done as the statement sayer, along with the rest of us, thought he was about to become fish food :) We did love the line when said lump of meat picked up said statement thrower the next day and introductions were being made 'Hi, I think we meet last nite' with a hint of sheepishness in the voice, bloody funny :lol:

Leg 2 to Kawau started in very soft stuff. Many boats heading off to Barrier and the smarter ones straight lining. After an hour or so the wind filled in and the back of the fleet suddenly found themselves at the front of the fleet watching, with binos, a few boats talking to Coromandel livestock they were so far right of track. The wind turned to make it almost hard on to Kawau but then built and swung enough to let the lost section of the tribe back into the game..... bugger it :( By the end of the leg to wind was right up and reefs were going in all over the show. River Rebel cleaned up Div 1 by a lot and in Div 2 Shreks House got the gun but only 1/2 a boat length and courtesy of a few Kingfish. On the leg up S Reptile was conducting some research into the speed effects of towing Kingfish. After pulling a few aboard, of which a lot ended up on the evening BBQ, the call was made a nice Kingfish under tow can reduce your speed by about 0.3kts.

The evening BBQ went off well with piles of food and beverages. Big ups to Chris for the use of his place in North Cove, a great spot indeed. Also to the team who organised the use of a pile of spare moorings for the evening. Many did like the idea of knot being anchored behind................ again ;) :lol:

Leg 3 started in a nice 15-20 knots just cracked sheets but with some horrible lumps and few decent pot holes. The fleet was off in a bit of a speed race home. As the course was tickled to go around the back of Rangi, just so knot to embarrass the AC boats by knot having broken kite poles everywhere, there were some good tactical battles from Rakino back to the finish in the Tamaki. Most boats...OK a few, did realise Motokurea was the last mark but a few did get to the line then have a quick detour, some like us nearly got there but after wondering where that bloody well sailed and loving every minute of the good breeze Twilight was going had to do a quick tack and sort their excrement out.

All in all a bloody good weekend yet again. BIG UP's to the PBYC team of helpers who amongst themselves managed to have start/finish/food carrying vessels in the right places around the Gulf at the right time. Quite a tricky exercise which was pulled off with military like precision. I'd say Poetry in motion but if you've every laid eyes on the PYBC Commodore and Rear Commodore, poetry isn't probably a word one would use :lol:

From a hazy and dodgy memory the results went a bit like this -

Div 1, River Rebel got stacks and deserved it, they did sail both well and smart. Extract Didget did OK as did Transformer.

Div 2 - Shreks House did good, Mcheath did better and Elly did best. Elly also sailed bloody well and smartly.

Other Awards -

The Fishing Trophy - only one entry which clean-up with a nice pile of nice Kingfish to Suburban Reptile.

The Dummies Guide to Anchoring Book - Awarded to Transformer

The I really must check out who I'm calling out before I do off Award - Shreks House

The Should I get out of bed to see what the bloody racket is Award - Shreks House, the other 1/2

The I'm lost, where mooring no. 60 Award - Panacea (no they never found it :) )

The Just gotta try, in a big wind, my new but never before flown Bloober Award - Rush. Knot the bestest time to trial something like that so it was short lived.

The 930 Verse 88 Award - The 930 :thumbup: Was it ever in doubt?? Err.. yes once or twice :?

The Turboed Ross 35 Verses an old family cruising class R930 over the line in Leg 2 Award - the 930 :thumbup: Oh yeah.... But slaughtered in legs 1 and 3 though :(

The I just love this weather to bits Award - a very happy and slippery Sunlight, a Twilight in leg 3. Happier than a pig on pooh by the looks.

The I just love a good Pee award - Allgo, the boat knot the crew. Check it out it is quite funny.

The Who nearly missed the last Mark Award - it's quite a list :?

Start Friday at 7pm and back happily mid afternoon Sunday. Huge mix of boats of all types and speeds. A blind (depending who you talk too) but good (depending on who you talk too) handicapper ;), lots of laughs and good rides all over the show. Just gotta be good for ya.

Word has it the same weekend next year and it's all on again - book it in, it's a goodie.

Thanks from Elly, to:

- Panmure yacht club for a great event and well run races

- Transformer for demonstrating the perfect start on Friday night (which Elly promptly copied)

- Haze for a nice new yellow flag to replace Elly's faded one

- Suburban Reptile for catching 2 kingfish on Saturday which we ate at the bbq

- the new breeze for kicking in at Gannet Rock when Elly was upwind of most of the fleet

- Horsley's for a great bbq in North Cove Kawau

- Black Heart for 5 bottles of rum (my poor liver)

Sex, Sheds, Shreads or Shreks House, depending on whether the results reader has their glasses on :)

Elly the speedy Tracker followed by the sexy fishing boat.

At the start of the Kawau to home leg.

Photos, one of many, by Ken the PYBC 2 Handed team photographer and driver of Haze, the now one kite less Raven 31 ;)

post-646-141887157623.jpg

Archived