Quarter Tonner Interest

The original British design was the Quarto, by David Thomas.

Demon Tweaker was Phil Atkinsons boat. The one Murray Ross sailed came a little later and was called Stans Family Jewels. By that time the 727s had come on the scene.

Guest Dry Reach
The original British design was the Quarto, by David Thomas.

Demon Tweaker was Phil Atkinsons boat. The one Murray Ross sailed came a little later and was called Stans Family Jewels. By that time the 727s had come on the scene.

True but Murray helmed and sailed the DT boat! I have the photo to prove it. (re DB yachting annual)

When I was a teenager we had Figaro, a quarter tonner with an extended stern. She has been sitting off Subritzky wharf in the Tamaki River looking good for a number of years. I often thought that boat with a taller rig would go well. The longer stern made a big difference to the exit, and the beam of the Harmonic powers the boat up in a blow. Tiny Dancer was the only one with a frac rig, but under IRC you could put an updated rig in and be ok.

This is a brief outline of the Blackfun teams effort at the QTC.

The boat we used was Enigma. She belongs to Ed Dubios and was done up in 2006 and subsequently won the QTC. Before we got her she had only done about 3 days sailing.

The boat is very tender. She has a stability index number on her IRC certificate of 8. It turns out that this is the minimum accepted for the Round the Island race. Most of the other boat are about 11 to 14. Blackfuns trial certificate is 15.

We spent a few days putting Enigma together and had a couple of days sailing before the regatta started. The first day was light and we lined up against a couple of boats. Speed and height were fine and we had good soak off the wind. Things were looking promising. The cockpit was busy and avoiding elbows became a key interest.

Day 2 of sailing was in a bit more breeze. The true windspeed would have been 14 knots max. The tide was running at about 3 knots, increasing the apparent wind.

We sailed upwind, unable to set the mainsail. Partly this was the rig being set very straight and the main being too full. Later we eased the lowers to bend the mast more, but we lost forestay tension very quickly.

We bore away and put up the spinnaker. Charging along at 7 knots we learn the two most valuable lessons of the week.

As soon as the pole was tripped for the gybe, anything could happen. We had a chinese gybe, washing the parrot beak in the Solent. Recovery was not too bad and we sailed on our merry way for a couple of minutes before a broach that washed the windex. Needless to say that downwind is no time to relax. The lessons learnt here meant that during the rest of the week, we didn’t spin out once, putting us in the minority.

The regatta started with the standard general recall, Z flag, black flag combo. We discovered that we didn’t have the pace to start near the form boats. Getting rolled from above and squeezed from below meant that we had to revise our starting approach. There were some great snarl ups. One boat couldn’t lay the pin and decides to tack onto port. The ensuing chaos was as good as I’ve seen and luckily we were fended off and fended other boats off.

We soon realise that we are not going to sail to our rating. Our number was .902. When the boat was last sailed it had a rating of .889. All boats numbers have changed since then, but this does look like an aspect of PHRF has gone into the new rating number.

The last race of the day was shaping up to be our best. Spat out after the start and as it turned out, forced to go the right way. We got to within 100m of the first mark before the tide swept us away and the race was abandoned.

The wind was harder to pick than a broken nose. One thing became apparent. The middle rarely paid as boats would pour in from the edges while the centre boats struggled.

One thing that caught my eye was when on a run in about 15knots. There were about 6 to 8 boats spread across the course in a line, all doing about 7knots. 50m behind was a boat called Menace. She is a Fauroux designed production boat. She was doing 8 knots and sailed through the group to be 50m ahead at the bottom mark. This is what we dream the Blackfun will do next year.

After the QTC we spent two days climbing over the top boats and seeing how their systems work.

The boat that won, Cote, has a huge cockpit that doesn’t self drain. They have a venturi on each side. A broach would be a problem as it takes ages for a bath to empty. Some boats have systems for the sake of them. On one boat we counted 22 Harken cam cleats in the cockpit.

We also competed in the Round the Island Race. There were over 1700 boats competing and it was amazing to see boats as far as you could see.

At the halfway point there were 6 QTs within 100m. We were closer after 4 hours than we had been after 15 minutes.

As the RTI race is a mixed division race, the QT rules do not apply, and we were able to enlist the special services of an extra crew man. The extra 100kg on the rail made a big difference to the punch we had on the wind. I believe we were 9th of the QTs and of the 530 odd boats in IRC, we were 33rd overall.

It is fair to say that the level of the QT sailing is very high. Higher than we thought it was.

Guest Dry Reach
This is a brief outline of the Blackfun teams effort at the QTC.

The boat we used was Enigma. She belongs to Ed Dubios and was done up in 2006 and subsequently won the QTC. Before we got her she had only done about 3 days sailing.

The boat is very tender. She has a stability index number on her IRC certificate of 8. It turns out that this is the minimum accepted for the Round the Island race. Most of the other boat are about 11 to 14. Blackfuns trial certificate is 15.

We spent a few days putting Enigma together and had a couple of days sailing before the regatta started. The first day was light and we lined up against a couple of boats. Speed and height were fine and we had good soak off the wind. Things were looking promising. The cockpit was busy and avoiding elbows became a key interest.

Day 2 of sailing was in a bit more breeze. The true windspeed would have been 14 knots max. The tide was running at about 3 knots, increasing the apparent wind.

We sailed upwind, unable to set the mainsail. Partly this was the rig being set very straight and the main being too full. Later we eased the lowers to bend the mast more, but we lost forestay tension very quickly.

We bore away and put up the spinnaker. Charging along at 7 knots we learn the two most valuable lessons of the week.

As soon as the pole was tripped for the gybe, anything could happen. We had a chinese gybe, washing the parrot beak in the Solent. Recovery was not too bad and we sailed on our merry way for a couple of minutes before a broach that washed the windex. Needless to say that downwind is no time to relax. The lessons learnt here meant that during the rest of the week, we didn’t spin out once, putting us in the minority.

The regatta started with the standard general recall, Z flag, black flag combo. We discovered that we didn’t have the pace to start near the form boats. Getting rolled from above and squeezed from below meant that we had to revise our starting approach. There were some great snarl ups. One boat couldn’t lay the pin and decides to tack onto port. The ensuing chaos was as good as I’ve seen and luckily we were fended off and fended other boats off.

We soon realise that we are not going to sail to our rating. Our number was .902. When the boat was last sailed it had a rating of .889. All boats numbers have changed since then, but this does look like an aspect of PHRF has gone into the new rating number.

The last race of the day was shaping up to be our best. Spat out after the start and as it turned out, forced to go the right way. We got to within 100m of the first mark before the tide swept us away and the race was abandoned.

The wind was harder to pick than a broken nose. One thing became apparent. The middle rarely paid as boats would pour in from the edges while the centre boats struggled.

One thing that caught my eye was when on a run in about 15knots. There were about 6 to 8 boats spread across the course in a line, all doing about 7knots. 50m behind was a boat called Menace. She is a Fauroux designed production boat. She was doing 8 knots and sailed through the group to be 50m ahead at the bottom mark. This is what we dream the Blackfun will do next year.

After the QTC we spent two days climbing over the top boats and seeing how their systems work.

The boat that won, Cote, has a huge cockpit that doesn’t self drain. They have a venturi on each side. A broach would be a problem as it takes ages for a bath to empty. Some boats have systems for the sake of them. On one boat we counted 22 Harken cam cleats in the cockpit.

We also competed in the Round the Island Race. There were over 1700 boats competing and it was amazing to see boats as far as you could see.

At the halfway point there were 6 QTs within 100m. We were closer after 4 hours than we had been after 15 minutes.

As the RTI race is a mixed division race, the QT rules do not apply, and we were able to enlist the special services of an extra crew man. The extra 100kg on the rail made a big difference to the punch we had on the wind. I believe we were 9th of the QTs and of the 530 odd boats in IRC, we were 33rd overall.

It is fair to say that the level of the QT sailing is very high. Higher than we thought it was.

And having a good boat counts.

I would guess that all the IOR changes over the years (back in the 80's) created big differences in the boats from year to year, and these differences are shown up when you bring 20 years woth of boats and rule changes together.for a regatta.

Also back in the day, boats were built for the conditions of the regatta area they would race in (worlds ). thus knowing the rules would change and make them slow next year!. They changed to new boats each year (to advance with the IOR rule changes that happened through that period). That is why there are boats designed for breeze and boats for light Med conditions!

I owned Figaro for the last 15 or so years but have sold her 2 months or so ago. As with all harmonics they go well in a good blow but have also thought how well she would go with a taller rig.

As for Die Fledermaus my mate owns it and is still down the Tamaki river. He was hoping to race it more but due to his unsual work hours he finds it hard to make the time to get out. The good news is he gave me a set of keys after selling mine and said use it so we will see what happens.

I've ha two Harmonics. Ben Gun and Crikey Dick. BG was a std. rig although a big roachy main made a bit of a difference and we had a kite off a Farr 9.2. No comparison to CD. She had a J24 rig with a 3.8m boom. We boosted her with jumpers as well and a short prod.

Hi All,

I'm just catching up with the Plethora of posts lately! Awesome.

I'm keen as to help arrange any racing if we can get a 1/4 ton fleet on the water.

As for a Pacific cup or like.....there with bells on.

I've been sailing mainly with the Upto 26 club since Smokey Joe has hit thewater....Seems the best place for similar sized boats to face off- there aren't enough 1/4 tonners currently active for a sole 1/4 tonner division.

This year we don't have as many 1/4 ton class in the fleet due to some movements in ownership.

I think Hi Flyer went up North.

Strawberry letter hasn't been out this year either- New owner too I think( or maybe the owner got another boat- can't recall).

Infiltrator- as noted back on the water after some repairs.

If any 1/4 tonners are out there and want to get invloved.

Smokey Joe

Rebel Yell

Infiltrator

Mumbo Jumbo

Travellin Man

Nocturne

And the odd other random are making the mixed div in the Up to 26 winter series.

Would love to see some others get the boats out.

I'm keen to help organise a steering group to work towards a larger 1/4 ton event...

Panmure made an offer to discuss some racing for a cup they have - I haven't followd it up (Sorry John! been rather distracted past while!)

A multiday weekend event would be awesome.

Twitchy- Would love to chat with you next time your in Auckland.

Toles

Reactors don't rate as 1/4 tonners. One was built as a 1/2 tonner but did'nt set the world on fire.Standard hull, bigger keel and rig, outboard rudder.

Reactors don't rate as 1/4 tonners. One was built as a 1/2 tonner but did'nt set the world on fire.Standard hull, bigger keel and rig, outboard rudder.

But we put a flat bottom on it and a stern hang rudder on a pivoting track.

I think the track has gone now, but the rudder still a cassette type. the boat has just have a big lot of work done on her. Can you tell me about the flat bottom? was she from the standard mould?

It was from the mould bit the method is a bit hazy these days.

I just use to drop in for the beer, no the work. :lol: :lol:

Can't remember if a false bottom was added to the mould, or the layout finished short of the centreline and trimmed back for the flat bottom, it might have been the latter.

I got a funny idea that one boat been stretched on the beam after been split down the centreline.

But then a again it was all a long time ago. :wink: :wink:

How many current 1/4 ton type yacht owners would interested in sailing for the Trophy (PHG Lynn Quarter ton Cup )

I would like to sail it as part of the PYBC two handed weekend 10th March 2011 ???? and or fully crewed Triangles following

If you are interested E to info@pybc.org.nz att John Bennett or call me at Sparloft 5793923

PS could also find the South Pacific 1/2 ton cup l;ast won by News papper Taxi if any 1/2 to owners are interested

Archived