3.7 nationals

philstar

A hypothetical situation.

Say a relatively new national race officer was booked to PRO the 3.7 nationals over easter.

This was arranged 8 months before said Nationals and reconfirmed in February.

Then on monday, 4 days before the nationals are to begin at Manly the race officer pulls out because he has taken on a judge position with a certain opti nationals the same weekend.

If this situation happened it would seriously endanger a national contest which had been planned for 12 months and create quite alot of stress for organisers of the 3.7 nationals.

Should this hypothetical situation ever arise it poses some questions;

-Having double booked himself should the Nat race officer honour his original commitment?

-Having been let down what should the clubs response to this be? To the race officer and to yachting nz.

-If a person is a national race officer surely he should act in a professional manner in keeping with the qualification? Surely part of this is making sure you don't double book yourself.

I'm interested to hear what others on the forum think of this hypothetical situation.

This makes me understand why people from other countries always say: "Oh, you little kiwis, you are so scared about making a complaint." :problem:

If you are genuinely aggrieved - as the can't-quite-believe-it's-hypothetical account indicates - then it shouldn't make much difference what X number of people on a forum think, you have something that needs to be resolved with the person.

It seems to call for a phone conversation or email saying: "Hey, we thought we had you locked in from months ago, what changed, we really feel let down by you, it's a really important event for us."

If it was the States the lawsuit would have been filed by now; if it was Italy, you would have yelled at the person, they would have yelled back and you would both now be crying and hugging and friends for life. :lol:

Its a difficult situation.

If someone volunteers and then lets you down. Then promises to put things right and doesn't even bother to make contact again.

What do you do and whom do you complain to?

Yes we're pissed off but the individual couldn't give a toss.

If it was the States the lawsuit would have been filed by now; if it was Italy, you would have yelled at the person, they would have yelled back and you would both now be crying and hugging and friends for life. :lol:
In Cube he'd be shot by now or in Russia he'd be digging salt :)

Knot much you can do bar write a letter of disaffection to YNZ outlining the position and your view. I'm sure they will have words with the person concerned if you do. Also drop a copy to the hypothetical PRO.

The palava YNZ wants from anyone wanting to hold a Nats is large and they do get shitty if you don't hold up your end. So one can very easily assume they should hold up theirs as well. A PRO is a YNZ requirement and position so one can also assume they should bear some responsibility to ensure they make sure sh*t like that won't happen.

But agree if that hypothetical situation did ever arise it's a bit on the nose to bail out that close to the event. Very poor form indeed.

We are short of PRO's and judges but why are judges the only one's paid???

Applied to do a judge/umpire course some years ago as by now i figured i would have had enough experience to be of some use, just before the first AC it was, no was the answer, wonder why.

Now been asked why i'm not interested to umpire and help, well wake up YNZ, and the RNZYZ.

Anyone tell me why judges are the only one paid!!!

Anyone tell me why they won't accept others to help!!!

This is why we have this problem and a shortage of good staff both as PRO's their assistants and judges.

This is also showing at both club and national races in their understabding of the rules.

Guest Rocket

I think you have answered yourself re pay and keeping the ranks slim...

I would be half italian and half russian - sounds like a sh*t attitude - he (I presume) should be called on it and YNZ should drop the party concerned if they don't get a satisfactory answer.

Volunteer is not an anagram for don't give a sh*t or feel free to not perform up to standard.

I spoke to Andrew Clouston at YNZ about this.

The YNZ position appears to be:

We offer courses to help train Race Officers.

We maintain a register and are happy to help a club or class find one when needed.

Yes you need one for a "National" event.

And that is the limit of their involvement.

So this has to be between the club and the individual involved. I guess if word got around that he was unreliable he wouldn't get a lot of invitations in future. But he is a volunteer so it's not like he'll get a pay cut.

Andrew did suggest that any club looking to host such events would be well advised to have some of their own people take the YNZ course (it's free) and problem solved.

He also said there were about 60 accedited people around the country at present.

Based the info so far I waould say the manly people have a right to be pissed off.

Archived