Single Hander

johnMi

Are we racing this Sunday?

And if we are, can we race even if it's a wind warning. If people are concerned, they should reef, but it does give us all a better chance of doing well, and it includes the decision of 'race or not race' and 'reef or not reef'

What say the rest of you?

Also what about singlehander with extras as well sometime (maybe not this one)

35 knot Easterlies with Strong Rain ?

Are you joking ?

Perfect Single Handed Weather, you organised your own rescue craft ?

Single handed race will be delayed (hopefully to not the same Weekend as the Squaddy series).

Yeah i think any yacht club would postpone a single handed race in that. Bucks even postponed the keelboat single handed race in 25+ Insurance companies dont look too fondly on people who take un-necessary risks like that...

If you want john i will park my car at Squadron and start a race for ya. Around northern leading and back. But will have an all care no responsibility call if it all goes bad :-P

The problem is you guys just don't want to reef, 25 -35 is NOT dangerous weather, and if others are out there, and you have the right safety gear I reckon there's no need for concern.

I would go out by myself, but I know I wouldn't be given the title of single hander, so why bother.

'Bucks even postponed the keelboat single handed race in 25+'
You guys are great, always spouting off how much better multis are to monos, but don't even go out in what is the best conditions for our craft.

Tim, if you feel you can't handle your boat in those conditions, don't ruin it for those who find it a challenge, just don't go.

Yeah thats a good point, but when you flip it dont ruin it for the rest of us by claiming insurance for any damage occured by having to race singlehanded in 30 knots just to prove "Your the best"

Alot of the guys in the multi's are racing boats bigger than 24feet and that have some pretty big and expensive gear. They are a handful two handed. The single handed race is a bit of fun to encourage people to push their boundaries safely. Not an excuse to test the coastguards willingness to help

I agree with you, and some may be too big for 1, so if the weather dictates a decision has to be made, we with boats that can handle it have to give away a good run for those others who can't.

If the weather is 10 to 12 knots, are they going to give it away cos us slower boats haven't got a sh*t show against them in those conditions?

When Timberwolf went upside down, did he claim insurance?

I consistently go out in 25 knots (often by myself), cos that's when my boat really is exciting, does that mean I can't claim insurance if something happens? NO, cos that's why I have insurance!!!!

Oh, by the way M,M thanks for the offer, and if some others are happy to do the single hander in these conditions if it so turns out, I would be keen to take you up on the offer, Northern Leading would be fine

So you learned nothing from what happened to Clive then, John.

And there is a very good reason your boat is only exciting to sail in 25 knots, and not exciting in 10 knots!

Tim

sh*t happens, and Clive, cos he was well prepared, survived. There was nothing to learn there, apart from maybe Clive had the wrong sail setup.

Why do YOU think my boat is not exciting in 10 knots?

If you can't control your boat by yourself, Tim, don't ruin it for others.

If the weather is 10 to 12 knots, are they going to give it away cos us slower boats haven't got a sh*t show against them in those conditions?

I consistently go out in 25 knots (often by myself), cos that's when my boat really is exciting,

Ummmmm, this bit kind of gave it away!

Tim

Can't you put in a double reef, that would save you from problems

Oh right, forgot, might get passed by others that may be a little bit more aggressive/stupid

than you

There was nothing to learn there, apart from maybe Clive had the wrong sail setup

Bull f&^#(n sh*t !

Nothing to learn..... are you kidding.....?

Clive made a f**king stupid decision and paid the price. Actually we all did. Those choppers are not cheap.

Any club organising a single handed yacht race has to take some responsibility for what may happen. With single handed multis there is potential for some serious carnage, just look at what happens during fully crewed races !

I have done a bit of sinlgle handed crusing on This Way Up, and am well aware of how quickly things can go from perfectly ok, to perfectly not ok. I wouldn't be rushing into racing in 25 knots.

Maybe your boat is just more of a keel boat than a multi ?

No Rod-boy

You should be able to run your boat in 25 - 35 knots with 1 person, (2/3 reefs) in main only BUT YOU DON'T WANT TO!!!

Things can go just as wrong in 15 knots as 25 knots.

Trouble is with you guys, someone makes a suggestion and what do you get

And there is a very good reason your boat is only exciting to sail in 25 knots, and not exciting in 10 knots!

or

Maybe your boat is just more of a keel boat than a multi ?

argue the point, don't get bitchy

Rod-boy, Tim, you have to agree with a double reef in the main surely you could sail safely and go to weather.

(I still don't reckon Clive did make a wrong decision to sail home singlehanded. For F**k sake the french sail Multis single handed round the world!)

Rod-boy, Tim, you have to agree with a double reef in the main surely you could sail safely and go to weather

yeah sure we could, but you seem to be forgetting ITS A RACE dude !! not a episode of survivor rangitoto.

In races, people put their balls onthe line, and push their boats hard, TO WIN !...... its not about safely sailing around the harbour and having a picnic in the cockpit on the way.

(I still don't reckon Clive did make a wrong decision to sail home singlehanded. For F**k sake the french sail Multis single handed round the world!)

Think about this comparison for a 5 seconds, and you will see that its a pretty stupid comparison.

The thing is there is a very different setup of boats between the average auckland multi and the french round the world boats, namely ours are on average 8-9metres long, theres 18 metres.... Somewhat different!

Secondly ours a optimised for fully crewed racing and that is where we as the sailors have driven the club to go. We push for regattas like Bay week and BMW and etc which make for awesome harbour boats. They arent easy to sail single handed. and i take my hat off to you John for sailing Putiki single handed, Have done it on Creepy and its good fun. But those two boats are still small, and the gear is light.

Maybe if we had a fleet of 7.5 tri's we would be able to do a race like this and have a good competition. But i think the general consensus from the other owners are that its nuts to sail single handed in 25-30 even 35 knots, let alone race. You chose the class knowing full well what the idea behind the multi fleet was. It has never been advertised as a single handed class. Hence i race on them but dont own one, love short handed sailing too much...

Rod-boy, Tim, you have to agree with a double reef in the main surely you could sail safely and go to weather

yeah sure we could, but you seem to be forgetting ITS A RACE dude !! not a episode of survivor rangitoto.

In races, people put their balls on the line, and push their boats hard, TO WIN !...... its not about safely sailing around the harbour and having a picnic in the cockpit on the way.

I didn't want to answer this but just can't help myself.

Isn't part of racing getting around the track in one piece? Isn't learning when to back off a little and preserve yourself and the boat part of the test? Isn't one of the reasons we race to learn how to improve our seamanship skills (even if that sometimes means learning to slow down)? Isn't knowing how to slow down an effective survival skill if you are ever caught offshore when the proverbial hits the fan?

Ok , I'll shut up now.

I hear you MM

It was for discussion only, just so surprised at the aggressive response

Rod-Boy

In races, people put their balls onthe line, and push their boats hard, TO WIN !...... its not about safely sailing around the harbour and having a picnic in the cockpit on the way.

That's EXACTLY what I mean, no ones gonna win by having a picnic in the cockpit on the way, so why not shake one of those buggers (reefs) out and put your balls on the line, before someone with bigger balls passes. That's what I call seamanship, knowing how much sail is safe.

Heavens man, TWU with a double reef should beat the Express with full main up, in those breezes, but I sure would love to give you a lickin on Handicap!

Isn't part of racing getting around the track in one piece? Isn't learning when to back off a little and preserve yourself and the boat part of the test? Isn't one of the reasons we race to learn how to improve our seamanship skills (even if that sometimes means learning to slow down)? Isn't knowing how to slow down an effective survival skill if you are ever caught offshore when the proverbial hits the fan?

To be fair yes, getting around the race track and "surviving" is part of it. But if this was the only reason we raced then we would all sail steel sh*t box lead swingers.

I guess its about strking a healthy balance.

I personally go racing for the competition not the survival factor.

Each to their own I guess.

And go racing for the enjoyment of sailing Mikey. Normally best done with a friend or two! But each to their own. I also like to see the boat back in one piece without rigs down or broken gear so we can race again the next week.

The association has worked hard and so too have the owners to break down the image that the Multis used to have of boats all broken sitting on moorings never racing because when they did they pushed too hard and didnt throttle back. Part of this is sailing within the limitations of the boats. Putiki's limitation may be more than the other boats, but i dont think its a good idea to encourage owners of boats that might not be, out on the water to race beyond what they believe is safe for them and their vessels...

Archived