Single Hander

johnMi

Samin

2 out of 3

$500.... you're on (I put in 250, you put in 250)

Autohelm... buy your own Bl##dy autohelm (we should be able to sort something out)

Wait till it's finished...... YOU'RE ON!!!! :D :D :D

And hear I was going to sail up singlehanded frm Tga to Auckland , we sail everywhere singlehanded, if you can get the boat on the mooring in 25kts and tide running out at 5 knts by yourself ,you can go sailing , look at Gavin hall that had Roxanne he sail that tri to the islands in 8 day and then back again Il come race with john m if my boat up there in time !!!!

C T

It really isn't the fact that they're all scared.

If it was, I could understand.

They do NOT want other people to SHOW THEM UP!

They could decide not to carry extras if they felt it unsafe (hell if it's 2 knots anyone could), but when it's 5 knots, 8 knots, 12 knots, 15 knots, 20knots when do they decide not to fly extras.

Hell someone may pass them if they go that extra 2 knots, carrying extras.

They all have fast boats, don't want someone with a slower boat beating them :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry guys, laughing at your demise, can't help myself (not really) :lol: :lol:

I spend far to much time talking to myself, Why the hell would I want to go sailing by myself. I'm sure I can find at least one friend.

John just keep doing what you do best and if playing sorry sailing by yourself is what gets you going then don't let any of us stop you.

Hi BooBoo

Yes, you're right

I guess it's cos I have no respect for those with what I perceive as an unsportsmanlike manner.

But

As others have pointed out to me away from this blog, they are supporting the clubs wishes, sailing restricted.

So to you who are in that group I unreservedly apologise for the previous posts

I don't want to wade into all of this but Samins post does sort of intrigue me a little. So I'd like to ask a question and in no way do I mean it to mean anything bar what it is, nor is it aimed at anyone.

only if its 100ft and your sailing around the world. No Kiwi could make it around Rangi its far to dangerous!
You reckon it couldn't be done even if reefed accordingly? Surely as twitchy as some can be at times one would think one should be able to do to that, even if being sailed slower and with kevlar undies.

Just thinking back to last years Simrad R3, some multis did struggle a lot, I picked that us as in our old 930 shitter sailed past a couple beating back up (don't panic as we also pasted monos we shouldn't have), but a lot of that did look to be more boats/crews out in weather that was unusual and up there so we did see a lot of 'caution' happening, a smart move IMO. But bar one or 2 and then only for short moments did any look like they were right out there on the ragged edge.

With that in mind and some obvious caution action happening you sure a multi could single hand around Rangi in 25?

John, I am sort of on your side a bit, I do think one or 2 don't quite get what you're trying to say but this post isn't meant to be one standing up for either side of the debate, it's simply Samin has me thinking about his comment, something I'm struggling a bit to come to grips with, I would have thought it was possible. But then it's been a few years since my GBE days and maybe we may have been on the edge more than I remember.

I don't want to wade into all of this but Samins post does sort of intrigue me a little. So I'd like to ask a question and in no way do I mean it to mean anything bar what it is, nor is it aimed at anyone.

only if its 100ft and your sailing around the world. No Kiwi could make it around Rangi its far to dangerous!
You reckon it couldn't be done even if reefed accordingly?

uhhh you do realize I was being sarcastic. Of course you could single hand a Multi in 25+ knots without capsizing!

While it seems obvious that JohnMi is baiting some into responding I do feel compelled to comment. Maybe we can agree that there is a place for single handed racing with and without extras. With for skippers willing to accept responsibility for deciding when conditions allow extra to be run, without for those wanting to be absolved of that responsibility.

I struggle to see the difference between this and a fully crewed race, the skipper still needs to decide what is safe and what is not, the decision remains the same. Yes the weather conditions that warrant a sail change when fully crewed vs shorthanded are different but this is part of the challenge and responsibility of being a skipper. If it is not safe don’t go or don’t put it up.

At the end of the day each skipper needed to ensure their boat and crew sail within what they are capable of. This decision must be a skipper’s decision alone, Surely we are not advocating letting others make this decision for us?

I'd happily race Pulse single handed with extra's. I cruise in that mode a lot when by myself. Even have managed a gennaker to screacher peel, but then both roller furlers so not that hard.

Unfortunately the boat is high and dry at the moment, but keep me informed for races during the summer.

We do a number of short and single handed races at Sandspit, and they are always popular. I used to tease the local keelers that the best labour saving device onboard Pulse was the CD stacker, but now it will be the SD card. They have tried to ring me to shorten a course, but I never hear the phone for the stereo!

Archived