Single Hander

johnMi

Dont call other multihull owners pussys until you have to pay the bills yourself.....with no insurance......

Then don't go to sea. Stop bashing those that do.... sit in your comfy armchair.

Guest mental outlook

Wal you hit the nail on the head... if nobody else was keen you should have just gone out and sailed around Rangi by yourself. Or is it just the glory you are after?

(Yes we own a multi)

For what it's worth most of you have managed to sound fractured and impatient with a differing point of view to your own. It's just gone round and round in circles well beyond any useful debate. And both sides (because this appears to be a clear case of yes vs no to racing in winds around 25 knots or more) have degenerated into personal attacks on peoples opinions and their boats. That is a sorry state of affairs. If you were joking it sure didn't look like it.

Given that I have no experience of sailing multihulls in strong winds, I don't have an opinion, just a healthy respect for the opinions of others with far more experience than me. I also enjoy people's enthusiasm.

Nothing in this thread will encourage someone looking in from the outside to sail multi's.

Not sure what Tintin was on but I don't want any of it.

Agree with AA, this thread is a very poor look if you were a prospective multi purchaser.

do you think that a thread on single handed multihull sailors flipping their boats in 25 knots would make a better read for a "prospective multi purchaser"

or maybe a thread on a single handed multi delivery trip from the bay of islands where a multi flipped.

Stupidity in multis should not be tolerated.

Most people that own multis have a healthy respect for the possibility of what can happen, without the requirment to flop their cock out and try and prove they have the biggest balls.

John, I suggest you organise some single handed cruises in extreme weather conditions if this is where you think the future of multi hull sailing is.

Agree with AA, this thread is a very poor look if you were a prospective multi purchaser.

If a "prospective purchaser" is put off multis by this thread, trust me, Sailing or Racing Multihulls wouldn't have been for them anyway.

Its all about what actually happens on the water, not what the Chest beaters say they can do, just what they actually do.

There are too many people who have confused their ambitions with their capabilities.

and it most certainly does have to do with how much it costs and insurance and how much of a pain in the arse you are to would be rescuers, coastguard volunteers and other racers who have to come to your aid.

I'm not getting into the debate about what's safe or not - it's the petty name calling and "cattyness" (sic) I was commenting on. And that is what will stop prospective people wanting to sail with any/all of you guys!

Hey, I admitted defeat, it was a good discussion, I'm now putting up sailing singlehanded with extras as an option. A lot of other clubs (Weiti for instance) do and a multi is much easier to fly extras on than monos.

now don't give me the argument that it's foolhardy or dangerous. If you don't want to sail with a genniker you don't have to, but let others who can go ahead.

Or is this hitting the raw nerve again in that you can't handle being passed by someone carrying a genniker and you haven't got one up.

I am sick of this.

Clive made a f**king stupid decision and paid the price. Actually we all did. Those choppers are not cheap.

Hey Mikey, can you lay off the personal attack on me please? What do you want me to do? What are you going to do to me ... beat me up in the carpark the next time you see me? At least that may bring some closure.

I agree with TinTin about the bitchin part at least. I am in no rush to get Tigre back up and running to join in with this crap.

Sorry Clive, my fault, I didn't mean to drag you into this

hey John it's got nothing to do with you at all. I just wish they would beat me up and be done with it. Move on.

Agree with Clive that they are two different issues here. The initial discussion is about whether the Multi Hull yacht club should be racing in 25+ single handed, or what everyone thinks the racing cut offs should be. Nothing at all to do with the Tigre incident so think we can leave that out of it. Thats like brining in the Frenchies on their ocean going boats, different situations really.

Whether or not we see it as a good idea to be out in those conditions as John says it our own decision, But when a yacht club encourages us by putting on racing, at what point do we draw the line in the sand and say this is not good for the future of the boats? We will all have different views on this i guess but there has to be a middle ground somewhere doesnt there guys?

Multi's single handed with Extra's could be quite good fun! Would encourage people to get extra's sails that are slightly easier to handle which may in general encourage boats to develop easier sail handling systems?

I am sick of this.

Clive made a f**king stupid decision and paid the price. Actually we all did. Those choppers are not cheap.

Hey Mikey, can you lay off the personal attack on me please? What do you want me to do? What are you going to do to me ... beat me up in the carpark the next time you see me? At least that may bring some closure.

Sorry clive. Your right. It wastn't your fault. And there was not a lot you could have done to avoid the situation.

and for people who think that this is not what this thread is about, it is exactly what it is about.

1) single handed sailing in multis.

2) in windy conditions.

I dont know of any multis in auckland that are set up for single handed racing, and as such they are not easy to handle if the conditions change quickly.

This needs to be considered when yacht clubs organise races as they are partly resposible for the outcome.

I like a challenge and will not shy away from singlehanded sailing, but it needs to be approached with a certain caution, or multis will get a bad name for "flipping" etc.

Sorry clive. Your right. It wastn't your fault. And there was not a lot you could have done to avoid the situation.

No worries but it was totally my fault. there was no one else on the boat to blame! :D

do you think that a thread on single handed multihull sailors flipping their boats in 25 knots would make a better read for a "prospective multi purchaser"

A thread full of heavy implications a multi will go tits up or blow to bits in 25-30kts is equally knot a good look either.

It's just the way some are writing some things, they could come across to some as multi negative, inc a few of the targetted stabs being chucked around.

There are too many people who have confused their ambitions with their capabilities.
Oh so true and in all areas of life. But if ones ambitions are to sail solo in stronger winds wouldn't going out and actually doing it vastly increase their actual capabilities? One of those Catch 22 things I suppose.

Archived