Single Hander

johnMi

Can you expand on this? Seems an odd assumption to me.

Each skipper knows full well how much sail they should carry, but unfortunately they don't want to be passed by someone carrying more than them. Therefore they would rather everybody be limited to restricted sails.

I haven't a snowballs chance in hell in even seeing the second to last boat finish if limited like this. However if I can carry a kite while others aren't I might have a chance of not being last.

But surely if extras are allowed other people will fly them too, so what's the advantage? Unless your boat is the only one set up to fly a kite easily single handed and you're counting on other people to stuff up to get past them. No offence intended, F24s are great boats; but if you want to be up near the front of the current 8.5 race fleet maybe a boat with more performance potential would be the way to go?

Can you expand on this? Seems an odd assumption to me.

Each skipper knows full well how much sail they should carry, but unfortunately they don't want to be passed by someone carrying more than them. Therefore they would rather everybody be limited to restricted sails.

I haven't a snowballs chance in hell in even seeing the second to last boat finish if limited like this. However if I can carry a kite while others aren't I might have a chance of not being last.

But surely if extras are allowed other people will fly them too, so what's the advantage? Unless your boat is the only one set up to fly a kite easily single handed and you're counting on other people to stuff up to get past them. No offence intended, F24s are great boats; but if you want to be up near the front of the current 8.5 race fleet maybe a boat with more performance potential would be the way to go?

I agree with you entirely, if I used my boat for racing only. But I would spend as much time sailing on my own, or cruising with my wife and dog.

I could do exactly the same when I free up a bit more equity, with a boat such as Predict Wind (or Push Play), but at this time, that could be a while.

I think the problem in NZ is that all Multis racing are very quick, and over the time I've been racing I have seen more cruising oriented multis come, but soon realise they are out the back door, so don't bother anymore. I am the only cruising multi, apart from Hyper that still race. I think also for people to compete competitively boats are being built lighter and quicker, and less forgiving for solo skippers to run extras.

I love racing, but most of all I love being on the water, enjoying myself, but am slowly getting disillusioned in racing with the multis, cos I am not enjoying myself when I end a race without another boat in sight, apart from maybe Hyper. If I drop out, that will leave Hyper exposed, (maybe not cos he'se getting better and giving some of the GBEs a hurryup)

Before they made the multis run a different course, at least I could race the A and B divs, but that's gone now as well.

When you finish your boat, will you race it? cos the way it's going there will be no one for you to race with, unless it's with monohulls.

Instead of ranting on the forum about how there is no-one left to race - which by the way does two things - 1) Its a bad look for the class, and 2) lowers resale for your boat saying how much slower it is...

Why dont you jump on board the committee and push this stuff from the inside. Get on the phone and organise the GDT boys and Creepy Crawler to get out racing? Then you will get some one to play with... Seems simple to me, Instead of bagging the fleet organise your own.

With respect Marshy, I'm not bagging anybody, that is the way it is. Wake up mate, there are NO cruising multis racing. I am just pointing out the obvious.

As far as the resale of my boat goes, no one would buy it for serious racing, as Greg mentioned, and that is not the market for my boat.But for a weekend cruiser, (bang for buck) I think you would be pushing to beat it.

As far as getting on any committee, the current committee has good people on it. Steve from Hyper leading it and I have full confidence in them. I bet Steve is pushing the case there.

This is a forum, if you don't like it, as I have said before, don't read it. This is a way for me to gauge other opinion. I have put out a challenge to all multihullers, (and as there are others that are interested) have officially asked the Race committee to give us an unrestricted division.

Seems simple to me, Instead of bagging the fleet organise your own.

err, is that not what I am doing..... :wtf:

Please.

If you want to challenge me, do so, if you want clarity on issues, great, but I don't give a sh*t in you guys telling me to stop moaning.

Greg asked me a question. I answered it.

So get off my case

Not on your case at all John. Just suggesting that there are other trimarans similar size and speed that if we worked the right avenues we could get out racing with you. The right avenues being the commitee does something to encourage the slower boats to join in. I agree that there is some pretty lonely racing out the back. And those boats like Creepy and Capricorn and the tail end older GBE's are the stepping stones to the bigger better multi's and are where the new blood comes from. So I guess its another topic but what do we do to get them out on the water?

all im trying to do is to keep it positive constructive comments about how to move it forward rather than just rants that people will ignore and the effort is wasted.

I have a cruising cat and don,t go in races because i don,t belong to a club, which i think is a requirement? May be you would get more cruisers involved in less formal meetings, ie meet 10 am north head destination decided by 930, everybody likes to pace themselves against others but not everyone wants to be in a serious race, and if no one turns up well you just do your own thing anyway. If I was around I would be keen to join in and if I was way in front { not likely] I would double back to sail past the slow boats again, no fun winning if no one can see you. :)

Hi Ex TL Systems

You could join NZMYC, it's very reasonable, and really has some good info, members etc.

But I would race you even if you're not a member. In fact, as soon as I see a yacht anywhere, bigger or smaller, I would race it.

I remember going out to Oneroa from Pine Harbour once for a sail when I had my 1020, saw a boat similar to mine and somehow ended up at Te Kouma (never did quite get him)

Are You Barry Keon's son, Scott, cos I think he had TL Systems.

Marshy,

I know your heart is in multis and defensive of their profile.

But really, multi racing is in good heart in NZ (look at BMW) and when I can afford will be trying to talk Jon out of his boat. But till then I will try to race PE, and I guess I should try harder to get other multis my size, however, one can only do so much.

Hi john

Have always liked your enthusiasm for racing PE, it is a real shame that just as you bought PE 'cubic' and the GDT pretty much stopped racing -it looked like you were going to get some great face off's and at one point it was looking like you could almost split off a separate 7.5 class.

we need to do more to get out:

the GDT,

Cubic

Racoon

even hard drive

konini?

ideas?

When I was trying to figure out what to build I came to the conclusion that if you cannot keep up with a pimped GBE (score approx 1 on racetrack) then racing life in the multihull division would be pretty lonely - GBE's sort of provide the "guts" of the division - a bit like 88's do for the mono's out BBYC. GBE's are great boats but as far as cruising goes I'd expect PE to be much better.

I'm hoping like hell my heavily pimped F82 will be fast enough that I will have some company (apart from PE) when I go racing.

You'd hope that maybe a bunch of people might buy F22's when Farrier get's them into production and then there will be another group of boats appear further down the performance chain.

No clipper, it would have to be a multi that I can still comfortably cruise with Karen,

Predict Wind or Kant Know would be my option. Just can't afford it at this stage.

Lionmark

Looking forward to this new boat of yours. For a start you will be slow, but if it is anything like predict wind you will definitely be in the thick of things once you get it sorted.

Predict wind was the fastest tri at the 8.5 nationals. And with the extra float lengths you should be in great shape

That's what I have noticed with multis. With a mono you alter something and you increase by .2 of a knot. With a multi the increase is 2 knots.

Damn, I wish I had got into multis 20yrs ago. Looks like Dean Barker's enjoying the change as well.

hi johnmi no i bought TL off Rex Gilfillan but have since sold it and its now in Whangarei. got a Mitchell 36 cat at the moment on trademe. Yes I will chase other boats around too but the racing multi fleet are too fast to keep up with, I guess in the end if you want to keep up with the fleet you need to get the right boat for the job. I quite like ex race cats like TL Systems as gulf cruisers tho.

When you finish your boat, will you race it? cos the way it's going there will be no one for you to race with, unless it's with monohulls.

Yeh, I'd like to race it but probably not too seriously to begin with. Probably depends on whose around in a couple of years time :) The boats will be; and speaking of possible others.

Te Kooti - does this boat EVER get used?

Miranda (lengthened B24 with foils in floats) Tribesman 26' tri used to be moored at little shoal.

Bunch of GBE's that sit one their moorings and never seem to go out. Gulf Tigers - still a few around.

That Wizard for sail a while back on TM. They go well for a small boat.

No clipper, it would have to be a multi that I can still comfortably cruise with Karen,

Mate - the Barry's used to cruise the mighty Voom for three weeks at a time with two kids. OE does it with one kid, Whio with a few as well!

I know Scottie, Clipper put me straight, but I just can't see Karen sitting in one of the cockpits screaming along.

She won't go out on the tramps on PE, so how the heck would she cope with having to move across the tramp during a tack.

When we cruise, she tucks up in the cabin with a book and I sail.

If the book is good, I can sail all day. if it's not, an hour at a time is about max.

She loves cruising... as long as it's on anchor, or she's engrossed in a book.

but I just can't see Karen sitting in one of the cockpits screaming along.

She won't go out on the tramps on PE, so how the heck would she cope with having to move across the tramp during a tack.

OP has a hard deck instead of a rear tramp. Also I suspect that your wife would feel a sense of more security sitting at a GBE cockpit than the edge of a tri tramp - I know my wife does (or at least did - a long way back!)

So is it possible to sail a multi single handed in over 25 knots without flipping?

only if its 100ft and your sailing around the world. No Kiwi could make it around Rangi its far to dangerous!

We have a date for the singlehander

I've decided to challenge any multihuller who is willing to do it UNrestricted, and will put up a purse of $100. We use Racetrack figures, take times as at Weiti (they have it figured, will explain if it ever gets off the ground)

If no one wants to challenge I will limp around the course restricted (like all the other girls blouses).

If there are some that want to go unrestricted, we should not impair the proper race, but start outside the startline and finish short of the finish line so there is no misunderstanding. Am happy to pay the race fee so no one misses out on the revenue.

I will take you on John. Only three conditions, we make it $500 and you lend me your autohelm for the race?

plus you have to wait till my boat is finished....

Archived