Racemark west of AKL Habour Bridge

link to GPS position of ARC buoys, has name and number for each buoy as well

http://www.arc.govt.nz/albany/fms/main/ ... inates.pdf

Quite some time ago, by email and personal visit to the Harbourmaster, I suggested and enquired about putting the names on the actual buoys.

A novel radical suggestion I know, but all the Red & Green buoys are numbered.

Last year (or the year before, anyway more than 3 sleeps ago) the was a Squaddy race with lots of thick fog. We came up to one yellow buoy near Rangitoto shore but could knot determine weather it was Salt Works or Flax Point. Either would be possible because it was a drifter with a good ebb flow.

Now there is the new Rough Rock in that general area.

Did you sail the correct course ? Yes or No ?

Stop trying to cover up a genuine mistake with procedural protocols ?

'bends over and picks dummy up off floor, hands back to wolfie.... and takes a step backwards'

i remember there was quite some debate at the time (2 days later) which centered around differing printed material available...so let the protest decide whether the course sailed was the correct one

'takes another step backwards'

Race 1 of the Winter Series a few years back fro Div E there was a discrepancy in courses between the sailing instructions mailed out & those printed later & on the counter at reception. Roughly half the fleet went one way & half the other. There was a protest and the decision was to award 1/2/3... to each of the courses & ensure it was crystal clear for the next race.

Seemed a bit more pragmatic than deciding one way or the other & stuffing the series up for the rest just because they had not downloaded the latest instructions from the right place.

And yes, ensuring you have the correct sailing instructions is part of the game, but RNZYS had mailed out the SI's in that instance & there was a procedural thing with the course change having not been notified correctly.

Archived