10 mil into NZ???

I see the MIA are shouting loudly the AC45's have brought 10 million notes into NZ.

All the bits and companies building/supplying were overseas purchased and owned. Some of the overseas gear was supplied at the expense of equal NZ made product.

So any idea how that 10 mil works anyone? Just another case of fluffy 'economic benefits' manipulation and masturbation is all I can come to.

10mil may have come in but from what I see it also left pretty damn quickly.

How many people have been employed to build the boats?

How much storage space is being used keeping the boats here?

How much money are the teams spending in this country training here?

How much money are the sailors spending in this country while living here?

Do I need to keep asking these questions, or do you get the point yet?

Perhaps instead of focusing on what wasn't spent here that could have been, you should focus on what was spent here that wouldn't have been had they been built in the USofA?

There's a fair amount of work going into these boats. You only have to look at either the Core builders Warkworth or Silverdale factories to see where $10m goes. None of that would be here without the 45's.

As far as I know they will build 15 45's and they go for about $1m each. I would say $10m is a bit light on estimate.

I would say $10m is a bit light on estimate.

My comment would be, $10mill is a bit pathetic when viewed against the possible that could of been brought into the country. I would say 10 times that would be more like the possible if it had all happened here.

anyone else see the odditie here?. back in 95 TNZ won the AC fair and square in foreign waters, to defend this we ( NZ) had to build a facility to defend.......Blakes Haven........(aka known as the viaduct village) "this is minor sh*t to the NZ economy "we"were told ( it wasn't believe me) .........we defended this in 00. ok after the others figured how much the buck was really worth we were humiliated in 03, however....... 07 even when faced with the main halyard bullshit/snowshow we ( TNZ) put up one hell of a credible fight yet................ yachting is a side show here......... lets do a world cup in rugby........ lets take up, or debate taking up, valuable wharfage space by flinging up a rugby ground OVER WATER.... ok..... that wont work.......so instead we'll pour a bunch of cash and ignore all pointers and build a taj mahal in a place that is clearly dated.........yep eden park.......... ( the only "make sense"idea, to me. that came forward was the island in the manukau close to westfield , close to transport ie motorways/ trains/ buses/ as well as being removed from residential so that the traffic/ noise factor could not be an issue, and with planning could well be linked to Mt Smart for parking etc via buses light rail or what ever......... all doable in the time frame, and would STILL BR VIABLE IN 100yrs TIME)) however we are now told that along with a whopping bill we are stuck with the original problems. do any of these economists/ jimjam jerkers really realise that some here in godzone can count??.

closer to topic though is the fact that we here in NZ do actually harbor a shitload of saleable talent so 10 mil is actually a fraction of our worth..........get over it!!! and pray for the countries sake that we smack'em once more and bring the tin home and keep it here as there is far bigger brutal $$$ for us in NZ with regard to yachting than there is ever likely to be in rugby..........rant/ wobbly over'........( from unlikely supplier of A/C and refrigeration to racing cats etc)

A re-read of the article has it knot overly clear but it could be more staff than boats.

70 dudes at Core Boatbuilders, that's a lot. Add in all the rest and 10mil does seem light.

The thinking is 16 boats at 600K Euro each or NZ1.1mil each. And I thought Lasers were expensive can racers, mind you still a lot cheaper than a V8 Supercar or one Mana party :)

I see the MIA are shouting loudly the AC45's have brought 10 million notes into NZ.

All the bits and companies building/supplying were overseas purchased and owned. Some of the overseas gear was supplied at the expense of equal NZ made product.

So any idea how that 10 mil works anyone? Just another case of fluffy 'economic benefits' manipulation and masturbation is all I can come to.

10mil may have come in but from what I see it also left pretty damn quickly.

So are so wrong Grant !

The AC45 is far and away the coolest. most fun job I have ever worked on.

We have a great deal going and are building heaps of stuff.

I think we have used over 2 tonnes of Prepreg Carbon.

The local Boatbuilders, Sterlings, CTech, Cooksons, Hall, Absolute CNC, Core Builders etc etc.

Lots of jobs, lots of work.

Anyone who knocks it doesn't know what is really going on here.

We have also done alot of sails, although no one has ordered a mainsail yet?? :lol:

All the jibs and code sails are high end stuff, 3DL/3Di/Carbon.

Guest Rocket

My response disappeared I will try again.

You have to compare the "output" with what these guys/gals would have produced if they were gainfully employed. To say it brings opportunity into the country is a total crock - if it was that straightforward industry would be running around to fund it themselves.

We are in a dire economic position and to throw $ at yachting for an elite bunch of proffessionals is frankly dumb. Same with the $ we have thrown at stadiums up and down the country for the RWC. The way we are shutting our eyes and hoping things will get better makes us little more than South Pacific PIGS (Portugal, Italy, Greece, Spain).

The problem is exacerbated by our 3 year election cycle with no politicians prepared to play frugal against the wishes of the unwashed masses that love these "feel good investments". In 20 years time the RWC and AC will be a dull memory - the debt we ran up to fund them will be real.

You wouldn't do it if it was your money - and guess what it is....

We have also done alot of sails, although no one has ordered a mainsail yet?? :lol:

:lol: :lol:

Knot knocking anything just trying to work out where/what the 10mil is. It seems like everyman and his vaguely related dog is chucking numbers around yet most just don't seem to stack up. This related to everything knot just boats. We have the RWC, SuperShitty, Super 14, Hone dickwacker and the list seems almost endless.

If talking the boats (as in gear used to build them) only bringing 10mil in, Yes probably. But a lot of that will also leave with the boats and or the multitude of suppliers most being foreign owned hence profits don't stay in NZ. A couple of your 'local' builders aren't so local Tim, or at least the owners aren't ;)

If talking wages and the stuff like that that will stay here, again it just doesn't seem to stack up. A quick and semi-random work out has that number being rather light. That's unless these multinationals are paying their staff peanuts, which I doubt.

Just another weird knot well explained number I suppose, one of seemingly 100's in the news each day. But at least it's one knot like RWC, SuperShitty and many others known from day one to be, what's the technical word for them? Ah yes, that's it..... total bullshit.

Archived