Thoughts on Buffalo 14 Catamaran?

chic014

Has anyone got any thoughts or info on a Buffalo 14 Catamaran?

From what I understand they are a NZ made rip-off of a Hobie 14. Hobie 14 is really only suitable as a single-hander and not two hander? So I assume a Buffalo 14 would be the same?

Any info you can offer would be much appreciated.

The Buffalo is more like an Windrush than a Hobie, I used to sail my Windrush 14 2 up, but you need a jib as well. I think a jib on a furler standard on the Buffalo.Good boats in their time :D

Thanks all for your advice.

I'm pretty much looking for a winter do-up garage project. Not really looking for a race boat, just something to have fun at the beach/lake over summer.

It seems all of the above are suitable, so just need to find one at the right price and in the right condition.

i got one last year (trade me $800) to keep over at waiheke- sails fine with 2* 70-80kg adults or an adult + 2 smaller kids. the jib has no furler.the hulls/spars/sails were in stunning condition for a 20+ year old and the trailer was the main thing needing a bit of work. Main problem is getting launched without boat ramp from beach- the shape and weight don't lend themselves to short handed launching over soft sand. that said in summer there are usually willing hands on beach to shift it and I'm working on model #2 launching trolley for next year after destroying the #1 model on its maiden outing.

cheers patch

I reckon you can just do what you want and what the hell. I had a Cougar Cat when I was a teenager. Similar to a Buffalo which I think came along later. I had a sh*t load of fun on it two up and not even a jib back then.

I remember going across the bay at Manly once and the weather was bloody fresh and we were maxed out. A Tornado went screaming past us like we were standing still, then the water skier they were towing went past us...

They all want to do that :) when pushed in strong winds..

Another one is the Cresta Cat. A bit lighter than the windrush, hobie.. but easier to launch and retrieve. There were some Paper Tigers built in fibreglass by tiger boats, they go upwind better than the rest (centreboards) and have less nose diving tenancy and can carry 2 people fine.

watch the older buffalo's - quite a few of them have been repaired as they had a tendency to break up on the rear beam mounts. Basically our one when pushing hard with 2 up we pulled the rear beam out of the fibreglass - real messy repair by us as teenagers then put it up for sale so i guess don't buy our old one!

Archived