Squid- when you get that rowboat built ----

Chewing Gum

I've alweays wondered about that particular field of human endeavour. Why would you do it? Why not have a sail?

In fact, since he would have been"parked" at least 8 hours a day I sometimes wonder how much these trans ocean rowers simply drift to their destinations, particularly if they are travelling downwind/down current as opposed to rowing.

Well done to him but i'll stick to sailing thanks. (that said, I wonder how big a sailboat you could maneuvre with oars or a yuloh and skip the engine?)

Yeah I agree Squid - not my cup of tea but interesting to watch from the sidelines. He did well and he and his father are the only solo rowers to make it.

they are bloody slow boats tho - they only go at about 2 knots and when ever the weather is at all against them they just chuck out a sea anchor so in effect they are very slow yachts that make most of their distance by waiting for the wind to blow them the right way so all you need is to have a lot of staying power !

. (that said, I wonder how big a sailboat you could maneuvre with oars or a yuloh and skip the engine?)

read "A steady trade" by Tristan Jones for a clue here, actually did come across an old guy in his eighties while tied up at sandspit wharf 1988 who showed a lot of interest in my boat, got chatting with him and turned out his Dad used to own it in the thirties and........he'd rowed the bitch all the way back from the barrier to auckland loaded with fish and on his own, had what he called counter weighted sweeps. Came across another elderly couple on the marina in westhaven who were looking long and hard at the boat and sort of smirking , conversation revealed they'd spent their honeymoon on her but thats another story.................

If you read accounts of Peter Blakes win in the two handed around north island (some time in the late 70s?) you'll find they rowed whenever they were becalmed.

Archived