Search for missing yacht on East Cape

shanson

Squid, just this minute went up on Stuff.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/3518192 ... r-Chathams

Missing yacht Tafadzwa has been found drifting 110km west of the Chatham Islands by a Royal New Zealand Air Force P3 Orion aircraft.

Rescue Co-ordination Centre New Zealand (RCCNZ) spokesman Geoff Lunt said the yacht was spotted by the Orion on a training flight about 1.45pm today.

"Those on board the Orion have not been able to determine if the skipper of the yacht, Paul van Rensburg, is on board," Mr Lunt said.

The yacht's main sail and jib were up but were extensively damaged.

A fishing vessel in the vicinity had diverted to the yacht and was expect to reach and board it about 7pm.

"However, this will depend on sea conditions. There is currently a 3m swell and light is fading. Any attempt to board the yacht will only be made if it can be done safely," Mr Lunt said.

The RCCNZ launched a search for Mr van Rensburg after he was reported overdue from a journey between Tauranga and Gisborne more than two weeks ago. It called off the search after three days, having covered 328,000 sq km.

:lol: :lol:

Let's hope he's down below when they get there, maybe hurt, but it does sound like he might have gone overboard - fingers crossed.

Well a actually not so strange. If you are trying to get around that cape in real nasty Southerly conditions, the best direction to head is for a B line to the Chattams to get the hell away from that place. If he did so and then something happened, the boat with it's self steering would happily wander off there on it's own. I do hope he is on board and alive, but somehow, this long with no contact, I expect the worst maybe the case. I do hope I am very wrong.

Well a actually not so strange. If you are trying to get around that cape in real nasty Southerly conditions, the best direction to head is for a B line to the Chattams to get the hell away from that place. If he did so and then something happened, the boat with it's self steering would happily wander off there on it's own. I do hope he is on board and alive, but somehow, this long with no contact, I expect the worst maybe the case. I do hope I am very wrong.

True but for me i would always try to stay within the "search Area" co-ordinates if caught in a storm. Maybe he had no option (down below injured, faulty Epirp, and with no power?)

True but for me i would always try to stay within the "search Area" co-ordinates

Riiiight. huh?!?

If you tell SAR you are sailing from A to B and then ask SAR what the search area (for weather conditions during period)will be for each 24 hour period they will tell you.

Sail in that zone and your chance of rescue is greatly enhanced!

yes / no?

No,

He didn't tell SAR he was going to be anywhere, he was reported overdue.

You'd hope NRCC could work out where he might be, but no.

SBS, its called SEARCH and Rescue, cause you haven't told them where you are, otherwise it'd just be rescue, wouldn't it?

Standard practice when the wind gets up to head for open ocean. Much safer than hanging around sharp lumpy bits.

Just goes to show a steel boat doesn't sink, and they stoped the search to early, found it on a "training" flight! Got budget for training flights but can't actually manage a proper search. Thats bollocks.

Plenty of "well that's f*cked" awards to be handed out over this one.

If he was incapacitated and crawled downstairs 16 days ago...let's hope for a miracle.

The photo on the front page of the Dom post shows the dingy on deck and a Fender on the port side(aft).

one might say he took to the life raft?... but why when the boat is floating on its waterline (not sinking)?

and besides a few tatty rags is in good condition?

Do do dodo do do dodo.....

Boarded by pirates?

Insurance scam?

Alien invasion.

Peter bethune was out there in a boat and rammed him?

Peter Bethune was on board?

That fender hung over the side is very strange.

My guess would be he went forward to reduce sail, slipped and went over. Tyhe fender may have been on deck and slipped over later.

I also predict there'll be an enquiry and a 20 page report that says "he probably went forward to reduce sail, slipped and went over."

Archived