Squaddy Winter R2

Atom Ant

We had fun, although if fun could only be measured by the result then we had a bad day. I'm confused by the handicaps. How on earth does TWU, a bigger, faster and well proven boat end up with a handicap of only .005 higher than Meltdown? WTF?

Anyway, we got the result we deserved yesterday. We weren't ready at the start, and had a few, ahem, issues on the way round.

We topped out at 19.4 kts according to Offenders gps and I had a blast! Loved it. Pedro looked like he was sitting in front of a fire hose at one stage. Apparently not that funny, but I guess that depends on whether you were Pedro or not!

An interesting thing happened on the way down the harbour after the start, one which you can all thank us for as we cleared the path for you. A guy sailing down under headsail only had a fishing line out the back of his yacht, idling down the harbour at around 4 kts and didn't seem to understand the folly of having a hundred meters of line and several expensive lures out with around 50+ yachts bearing down on him. Of course we didn't know he had a line out until he picked up his fishing rod when we were about 30 metres away and going past him at 15+ knots and he started to wave us away! He clearly didn't understand that by then it was too late. End result? We towed it all the way to McKenzie Buoy and back, but ended up with a couple of Kahawai lures for our trouble. Not sure if there's regs about his fishing but I thought he showed a lack of insight as to the probable outcome of doing that.

Hey Booboo, you guys sure parked up under North Head eh. A little wind hole there for sure. I thought you guys were sailing fast, and if it wasn't for that you'd have cleaned us up.

Great day :thumbup: Thanks to all the Squaddie volunteers who ran the race.

saw your kite go up in a neat little bow tie under the harbour bridge! we had a guy on pork chop slip over in the gybe and cheese wire his leg with the lower life line. even had 2 ambos down at the boat

I think that was a flubbed gybe - not sure what went wrong there as up until that point we hadn't had any issues with gybing.

Lifelines - I'm not sure they don't catch people at the knees and catapult them over the side. Going under them bloody well hurts!

Fun out there today on the Upto26 race when that squall went through........... Glad we didn't have the kite up! Thought the 35kts we got was going to stick around for longer than it did. Gutted we pulled the pin. Can't find the results on the PCC or Upto26 websites. Any ideas??

Put plastic tube on all my wire lifelines to stop the cheese wire incidents.

Yes AA we found a really nice hole under north head. I have used the inside route a few times with great sucsess but it really didn't work that time!! In lighter winds it can work as the breeze still finds its way in there but there was just enough wind that time for it all to go over the top and leave absolutley nothing in close. That cost us minutes!

The other big drama we had was the fact that we were sinking, port hull took on a few hundred litres of water, thru an inspection hatch in the transon boarding step (to get to the rudder gudgeon bolts) that had been split by one of the crew jumping on it while boarding the boat. We thought it was a sealed cavity so were not too worried about it but when it filled right up it leaked thru the old gudgeon bolt holes in the old transom as the boat has been extended, lesson learnt now and it won't happen again! Anyway there was a lot of water, over the bunk height! Took our pump and borderlines to pump it dry! We didn't realise the extent of the issue untill we were motoring in and had a chance to pull all the soaking sails out of the hull that were floating around down there.

It certainly explained why I couldn't get the boat going upwind! We knew there was some in there but not that much!!

Still it was great fun thou.

AA you handicap has gone from one extreme to the other now! What happened to you guys at orakei bouy, you looked to be bare headded for a while?

What an awesome course for the Multi's that was great fun on TWU! Loved the reach out to Mckenzie bouy, lots of spray and pretty wet for a bowman!

Even managed some tricky bow work and did a gybe drop around Bayswater mark which went starry!

Yep, one of the boys went down, luckily we were right by Westhaven....from the minute he fell, to being disharged from hospital, was exactly two hours... cant complain about that.

I have some pretty graphic ones as well, up to you fullas if you want me to post them

Huge ups to me crew who within seconds were applying pressure and dealing with the situation, even after I inquired as to whether we were able to finish... a universal 'NO' was enough for me to realise something wasnt right.

Best you keep till next time aye Sharpie, though we did enjoy rolling you upwind..... :D

IMG_0027edited.jpg

IMG_0028edited.jpg

too many crew on the rail aye had to push one over the side!! figured something big had gone wrong

yes well done but we gave you a massive head start and miscalculated the crew weight needed in those conditions to hold the new girl upright - still learning her traites and need to set the rig - its only been jammed in the whole

so next race its on

tell me why did you go left of the start line??

oh and post the gory one

Of course we didn't know he had a line out until he picked up his fishing rod when we were about 30 metres away and going past him at 15+ knots and he started to wave us away!

There has been plenty of discussion on this site about boats doing more than 5 Knots within 50m of another boats. You know the rules apply to yachts as well! The exeption only between yacths racing not between one racing and one not.

We went left in a later start, trade off between tide, clear air and whether you could stay out of tide without jybing too much.

It didn't really hurt us so in that respect we thought it worth the effort but I think there was a little more south in the south meaning you could run down on starboard so it didn't really pay either.

Archived