Marine Speakers

Yep I agree with ya AA. In fact, 90% of the 90% would probably say the $149.95 sound better.

Infact, in the Studio, we would have two sets of speakers. The real mega expensive Studio Monitors for the main Mixing and a cheap pair of Yamaha NSX10 speakers that we would do a final master on. The reason why? because 90% of people own a cheap home stereo, so we mix iot to sound best on a Basic home stereo.

Jeez, I've just been trawling through this entire thread after doing a search for marine speakers - cos one of my cockpit Sonys just died.

I don't want a technical essay, just an idea of where to go to see the difference between a cheap n easy 'marinised' option and a more expensive purpose-built marine speaker?

Simple YES or NO please.

From reading the above, if one wanted a "lot of sound power (noise)" would it be better to have a bank of "Starting" batteries rather than using the bank of "Deep Cycle" batteries :?:

i.e. Starter batteries provide more current for a shorter time.

That is a complex question Paul.

Batteries in simple answer, yes Starting batteries. But!!!!

I will slowly make the answer more complicated as I go.

FLA batteries are not the best to use, but for us boaties, normally it is all we have to use. FLAare the slowest at replenishing their Current peaks. To improve the battery response even more, a hugemoungous Capacitor connected across the batteries.

On a big loud Bass thump, the current is taken from the capacitor instantly, then the capacitor is charged again and ready for the next Bass thump. That takes the lagg from the slower Current supply of the battery. But there is a limit to how fast the Capacitor can be charged to full and thus ready to deliver again, so it is not always full proof.

To get that current to the amplifier you need some big arse power cable.

To get that amplified Bass thump to the round noise making device, you need a good heavy speaker cable.

Thanks wheels. Yes the cables would need to be larger.

It's just that for a "party yacht" as being discussed,

:think: having an extra bank of batteries could be acceptable.

So a few extra starter batteries in parallel would be the better way, possibly cheaper as starter batteries are cheaper than deep cycle.

just an idea of where to go to see the difference between a cheap n easy 'marinised' option and a more expensive purpose-built marine speaker?

Any takers?

Fusion have a marinised speaker that has an IP65 rating. I don't know if a Burnsco shop has a stereo setup, although I think they do, but they sell those Fusion speakers anyway. Repco also sell Fusion, but no idea if they sell that marine speaker. But they usually have a Radio display you can push buttons and listen.

I had Fusion 6 x 9 marine speakers in my cockpit and in 8 years of owning the boat I went through 3 pairs - they are crap and actually a guy on the Fusion stand at the boat show said they weren't really waterproof but water resistant - his words not mine. Anyway they don't make 6 x 9's any more so he suggested getting a bit of flat plastic and screwing that onto the sides of my cockpit and then mounting 6" one in that. Serious - he didn't give a rats arse how crap it would look.

Needless to say Fusion & I have parted ways. I must go and have a look at what I bought to replace them, but they are 6 x 9's, very little work required to make them fit the same holes, and they sound quite nice. Mind you they don't get a hiding like the big doof doof doof monsters the others are talking about.

I have 6x9 Fusion speakers on my boat (about 1 year old) ex Burnsco I'm really happy with them so far, I bought a Fusion head deck from Repco ($250)which takes my Ipod internally..awesome sound! :D

Yeah the Fusions were good initially but on average lasted around 18 month to 2 years before succumbing to uv issues. They didn't get a hard time as far as volume was concerned. They never got kicked as I had grills built to protect them. They simply started sounding crackly and like an old am transistor radio from the 60's. They simply didn't last.

Sony are the ones that have just crapped out on me but they hasve lasted twice AA's usual prognosis of 18 months and as you know only too well, KM, they've had a few amps through them at times.

So I'm going for marine Sony again, just a slightly upgraded marinsied version.

Sony Marine

What they like?

Simple answer to this really - you get what you pay for. Sony spend a shitload on marketing and the speakers are mid/low end prices. Marketing comes out of that, so ya get low end speakers at mid end prices.

JBL marine, Kicker marine etc. Companies who know about making speakers. Not a huge amount spent on marketing, but a lot of design and research goes into "proper speaker brands" Sony know about making money only IMO.

I once had some Eminence marine speakers which were absolutely awesome, twin 10" and a compression horn. Louder than you could handle on a 45" boat and did not need much power to run them as they were 97db efficient. Cant buy 'em anymore though.

I see the sense in investing in a high quality sound system at home but less so on your boat - in that environment will you honestly notice the difference. I can understand spending extra to ensure longevitiy to avoid replacing kit every 18 montsh but see less point in chasing geniune high fideility in that noisy, outside, marine environment.

Also, the sad fact is that by the time most of us are comfortable enough to afford expensive sound systems, we are getting to the age when our ears can't even appreciate it so much!

That's generous of you, AA, considering your boat is on the market and therefore the person most likely to see the benefit of that extra investment in longevitiy will be the new owner!

You should update your ad to reflect this improvement!

Archived