Round New Zealand Two Handed

Jon

so if you dont face book like me and alot of people I know. Where do you see who is racing and etc etc?

Ssanz site has entrys yes . Surely there is more too see than that?

Is boating nz doing anything better than last months article?

What about pre race news interviews? Or will it be one little clip at the end of the race?

Would be nice to have a few different things documented over the next 8 weeks for future reference and viewing.

Some of the 5-6 news clips from the last race are pretty funny.

They dont make woolie jerseys like they use to thats for sure.

i was lucky to get a copy of someone who had the footage. Dont think there are many copies.

I hope to make a proper video around an hour of the race including some of the last races footage.

So for people racing expect the odd random interview and if anyone has some epic footage be sure to pass it on please.

It will take a few months editing thats for sure.

Try the tv3 archives online? You would need to know roughly when the race was held last time.

Skins...

Yes there will be more articles etc in future Boating NZ Mags... Already had a radio interview (about 6min) on radio sport with Deaker and there will be more in the future. Martin Tasker is aware of the race and we are hopeful of the start being televised. So plenty going on...

Website will soon feature a copy of the race programme which will contain a profile of each competitor photos etc. I was hoping it would have been finalised already but we have had boats making late changes and still sending in info/photo's... you wouldn't want to guess who the offenders could be ??? :oops:

Anyway... the programme won't be far away.

Currently working on the race tracker skin (ie look)... again look forward to website updates shortly with links etc. I think the tracker will be absolutely fantastic for those at home. SSANZ will also have a virtual RNZ running at the same time. So those at home can race against you.

One thing SSANZ would absolutely love is for ALL competitors to send in leg reports after each leg for posting on the website along with video and photos. Please try and take as many photo's and video along the way as possible... the more we get the better the website gets.

We are quite happy with the last minute change if that means we get you back on the startline :D Just used that as an example as to why sometimes it's hard to get out all the information you want when you want too !

Aston Garrett is looking after PR and publicity for SSANZ... should be a step up from RNI and she has already done alot of great work. But she can only work with what she is given so all competitors have to take some responsibility and provide Aston with photo's videos and stories which she can work her magic on... I'm sure she would even be happy to take a phone call after each leg so you can have a brief interview for her to convert to a story.

Hi,

I was asked by Jon Henry off Danaide for some advice regarding the Med kit for RNZ race

My reply is below for anyone interested. I have previously offered to look at the Med kit contents for YNZ as I am frequently asked for advice on what to take offshore.

Each boat should take all the Cat 2 gear that is on the list

My personal recommendation to add to that is as follows:

-"Field Dressings" Med and large - 2 of each (they are a military style bandage that you open, slap on and tie around the limb in one shot) - very good for big wounds or when its rough/wet and hard to things to stick. Here is one type to get an idea (http://www.tridentpharm.com.sg/speciali ... ssings.htm) , but many types are available

-"Sleek" 2 inch tape - it is plastic and the only one that sticks to wet skin

-Large steristrips ( to close a wound without suturing it) and Friars Balsam ( a sort of glue to make the strips stick) - 1 packet

-Voltaren tablets - 50, better than Ibuprofen in my opinion

-Loperamide (Imodium) tabs - are only recommended in Cat kit, I would definitely include

-Chloromycetin ointment (chlorsig) - 2 tubes. For eye infections or skin infections

-Sofradex ear drops - 1 bottle - for Ear infections

-Silver Sulphur Diazine (SSD) cream - 1 tube for burns

-Augmentin tablets 5 days worth

-Doxycycline tablets - 5 days worth - useful broad spectrum if allergic to Penicillin

-Aspirin - 1 box

-Dulcolax tablets (1 bottle) - for constipation

-Hydrocortisone cream - 1 tube for skin irritation

-Oil of cloves - for tooth ache

-Dental repair kit

I personally would take a suture kit ( 2 syringes/2 needles/ lignocaine/needle holder and some sutures) - HOWEVER many people would not be keen to suture so would leave up to personal discretion

Cheers

Dr Dave

Thanks Dr, Question: what is the shelf life of those antibiotics?. I remember we used to get stuff like ampicillin as a powder that you mixed with water that was supposed to last almost forever.

Hay Squid,

Dr Dav asked me to post this when he did it for us but I haven't as yet because I think it is a quite valuable resource and needs to be saved some how, as left in a thread like this it will become burried and lost.

Any thoughts ?

Hi Guys,

Antibiotic shelf life for orals is variable but generally the companys state Augmentin is 3 years and Doxycycline 4 years if dry and stored below 25C.

On M1 for us dry is hard to do....

As I said I am happy to redo the Cat Med lits for YNZ if you know anyone there who wanted me to do so

Happy to help

CHeers

Dr Dave

Pelagian2 update

New rigging was fitted today ( thanks steve ) tomorrow we motor to westpark to spend the long weekend doing last min stuff, hope to have broken the back of the work by monday night,

I Got a Text from truxton at 1714 to say they have just clocked up 200 miles in there qualifer for RNZ still 300 miles to go, Makes for a very long weekend.

Pelagian is on the hard at westpark getting the last things done, at one stage todat there were 11 people working on her, Big day lots done

Kurt

Sounds like your on track Kurt,

We lifted on midday Thursday and back in yesterday morning.

Anti foul sail, drive service and hull checked.

Then emptied every locker, 1/3 went in the bin 1/3 back home for storage then the rest back. But a good chance to have a big sort up after 7 years of ownership.

Today I will load sails,safety gear and all the dry food.

Then it's just get the new halyards the last big one before we do last minute stuff.

Well we went out and got a beating this weekend.

Certainly got a few things to do and not much time. See how this week pans out and wait to see if ssanz accept our qualifying passage.

otherwise truxton is on track.

Karakatoa are just coming into the gulf now after a long trip up the east coast. Be catching upi with them later today.

Archived