Auckland - Musket Cove Ocean Race 2011 - Race Reports

Mothership

Conventional wisdom is to stay west of the rhumb line so that when you get into the trades you're on a nice reach for the second half (last third?) of the journey. Of course it doesn't always work out that way, but that's the theory.

The Vodaboat boys were apparently banking on hanging onto the edge of the weather system that blew thru but weren't able to do so. It was perhaps a high risk move which would have either made them look bloody famous (if it had worked) or pretty ordinary (if it didn't). If they'd left 24 hrs earlier it may well have worked out for them a bit better.

Right now it is saying TVS is doing 15.7 knots boatspeed vs Wired at 3.1. Knot sure I'm totally convinced but if that is accurate - and without using a ruler or cunning software to plot it! - I would be backing the tri.

I'm with Murky on this one. TVS are finally into the breeze so they will be long gone. Look at Camper go! Pretty much the same speed as TVS but pointing straight at the finish. I expect they have more breeze that far north but I can't see TVS making up 160NM.

So, this morning's routing is somewhat quicker with Camper finishing between 2100 and 2200 on the 8th and Vodafone between 2200 and 2300.

It is definitely still worth a dig west for both boats if they get a chance, but one doesn't always get a chance.

I just can't figure out why the Tri went east. Just something one would never do in this situation. Very odd.

Can you confirm that your date is correct. I'm a little confused. Today (wednesday) is the 8th. Camper has 500miles to go. in the next 10 hours?

Do you mean the 9th. Or have I got the date wrong?

Apologies - hadn't had a morning coffee yet.

Exp currently have the VO70 finishing about 09/1700 and the 60 still about 2 hours later. This is all based on a last generation VO70 and hopefully TNZ is a little quicker ...

As you can see from the screen shot, Vodafone still has a bit of westward work to do to make up for the last few days. Some of this is for angle later on and some for an inside shift.

Also, the wind is forecast to be lighter and lifted east of the tracks in the image ...

post-50-141887182721.jpg

TVS @ 20.3 knots with 601.5 nm to run, Camper @ 11.2 with 435.

Enough of a boat race to entertain my tiny mind. :thumbup: Knot yet time to get a cricked neck from looking back nervously on Camper but it is not far off.

Just posted on Facebook - approx 2.30pm

TeamVodafoneSailing

The boys have bitten the bullet and gybed onto Campers line. now in 15knots from SE. Very expensive move but had to be done. Not enough runway to mow them down. At least it's warm, and Paddy has settled.

TVS @ 20.3 knots with 601.5 nm to run, Camper @ 11.2 with 435.

Enough of a boat race to entertain my tiny mind. :thumbup: Knot yet time to get a cricked neck from looking back nervously on Camper but it is not far off.

i wonder if Camper's gybe has screwed up the most recent speed estimate...

Yea I was wondering with those speed values are they the instantaneous speed at the moment the data is sent every 20 minutes, or is it a 20 minute average or something?

Hard to figure - TVS is consistently holding above 20 knots on the Yellowbrick one as well whereas there is a lot more variation in Camper's numbers.

Guest Rocket

Looks like there is a band of breeze thaht Camper enjoyed from late last night - seem to have stopped again. VB and Wired in it now and boogeying - may not be over yet - such different boats!

Good battle back in the fleet - Lion seems to be doing a buffalo girls... (in low gear)

Guest Rocket

Yeah question is has she gybed or is she running out of pressure and hotting up hoping for better trade winds up the course... Everytime I have done this race being a bit east at the end was a good thing... But that has been in augmented trades - looks alot lighter this year even right up there.

Archived