teak and holly ply

Hi all , i am trying too find a sheet of Teak and Holly ply flooring 12 to 13 mm thick , any one know i can buy it in Auckland.

I have heard a bit of that. I think the dollars already look so alarming for even the thinner sheets that they feel there is no point stocking anything thicker and having to listen to people choking on the phone when they hear the price.

The suggestion seems to be that you laminate it on to a lower-grade sheet to get it up to the desired thickness, using that perfectly-true 2400x1200 laminating table/press/vacuum bagging system that we all have in our garage.

I got a price from one of them back in 2008. The 13 mill was still available but at that stage was retailing at just over $500 incl GST per sheet.

Needless to say, that project is still parked. :roll:

iv never used the stuff/dont know where to get it. but if your only option was to stick 2 bits together (6+6=12) make sure its done properly.....contact glue and driving car over it a few times to press it down hard could work. have to solid clash the edges and properly seal all around (would suggest that anyway)

the idea would be to have the same thickness being stuck to the same thickness to avoid any cupping. or stick it to foam and carbon, thats getting real expencive then.

i wonder if you could just get the veneer?

used to be that poor mans teak and holly was a ply teak sheet, careffully routed 1/4"x1/4" and filled with west filler then scrubbed off with a belt sander, allows you to do some quite fiddly curves tapers etc

There is a fantastic Industrial Lino that looks exactly like Teak and Holly, I think they actually take a photo of actual flooring and print it onto the lino and grain it. Was used on a friends boat and it was fantastic. Will see if I can find out where he got it from.

Archived