Solo Trans Tasman Race

Changed

When is the start - there's an article on Sail World saying what a great day it is today for a start, the website says Sunday?????????

Actually they might be saying today or tomorrow - I'm confused

Dream start for 2010 Fitzroy Yachts Solo Tasman Challenge today by Lindsay Wright, 7:25 AM Fri

Taranaki looks like turning on a dream start for the 13 skippers sailing the 2010 Fitzroy Yachts Solo Tasman Challenge tomorrow

It's raining so we haven't left yet, instead I'm sitting here watching the live tracking, still the one race i wish I was doing.

start was pretty much no wind, after 1 hour there was 1 boat still on the line , after 4 hours they were all still within about 3 miles of the start, then a light breeze started to move them, the 2 cats were leading as it got dark and there seems to be a nice south east breeze outside now at 9 pm .

Just got back from New Plymouth.

Watched the start. reminicent of the AKL TGA start.

Sod all wind.

After the start went to the wind wand to watch them head of to OZ. After 20 minutes or so the ancient mariner (my father) said sod this, lets go, and we did.

Third placed skipper, Ross Buchanan, in his 10.5m Holland design, Scoundrel, retired from the race last night. 'All the boats around me were hoisting their spinnakers,' he said, 'but I just couldn’t be bothered. And, I thought, 'if you can’t be bothered – you shouldn’t be here,' so I pulled out and returned to Port Taranaki.' Buchanan also sailed the 2007 solo Tasman race.

What a lot of preparation down the drain. He's done it before so he's no wuss. Just didn't have his heart in it this time.

The live tracking is great, Trish Lewis in the Reactor "Wishbone" is doing well, I think she is the smallest boat that set sail. She appears to be sticking pretty close to rhumb line, great to see it unfold.

Good idea to bail if your heart not really in it.

She tacked away to ensure she cleared Lord Howe Island and wanted to ensure enough sea room.

Surely it's a problem with the tracking thingy?

Gutsy Lady

"Just 22 nautical miles from the finish.Transponder on Wishbone battery now died so Trish reporting her position every 2 hours.h

Bruce on BWR has email contact with Trish. She will be close now to radio contact and has been advised to call on channel 21. A nice welcome is planned with the other skippers either sailing out or going to the breakwater to meet her.There is great excitement that the last yacht will be in so all skippers can be at the prize giving Saturday evening. Team Wishbone shore crew who are here in Mooloolaba will be on the out on the water to meet her.We are really excited to be seeing her soon."

Archived