Minerva reef, from the front page.

John B

We were hove to off the Kermadecs in that. We would have seen the tsunami wave , only they all were. :roll:

Surfing in the Minerva entrance when you guys were moving over to the west side in that black westerly squall was like a bar crossing.. bloody exciting.

You were lucky that we did not 'visit' you that night you anchored behind us. We got the anchor chain jammed in the pipe and really did not have enough chain out. Did not free it until the morning. The anchors hold well though in Minerva.

You guys talking about all the cray fish got Paul on Calypso going. They searshed the reef at night and saw nothing and the next day we checked out the guts on the seaward side. The photos on their website show that trip. Paul was down those guts in the surf and saw nothing then got rolled up the reef by a breaker and got badly scratched. He's pretty game for a 70 year old!

I was going to ask about that, we saw you guys mucking around on the foredeck for ages with that. We thought we anchored away and behind , and then the wind backed a few degrees :roll: .

We had an emergency meeting with captain coruba and a crayfish so we left it.

I thought I heard the dinghy fanging in in the middle of the night after our chat about the midnight walks with Paul.

We.. er I mean Dave , got the crays on south minerva but we thought they'd be there too.

We were back in the reefs a couple of weeks ago and we caught up with Calypso again at Savusavu last week. I was gator and delivery help on Riada II again.

I hadn't actually realised it was the North Minerva light that was blown up a year or so ago( and replaced). The South Minerva light has been gone for some time evidentally. The guys on the Cross trimaran Migration put me straight on that.

Boats we met up with at Minerva were Migration, Guava Jelly and Bodhran.

Savusavu, all those guys again and Calypso,Merkava, Cooee Too and Sarah Jean. Brief chat with Adamite from Gulf harbour in Savusavu too. Everyone in good health.

Funny how cruising people all seem to be salt of the earth types i'nt it.

Archived