liveaboard

Suggest if you are still following Hineka do check out the rust situation as rumour has it she alledgedly has had some repairs to rust holes penetrating right through the plating, from the inside, hope this isn't true.

Also although she is 70' long the interior space is not much more than you would get with a good cruising 40 footer.

Suggest if you are still following Hineka do check out the rust situation as rumour has it she alledgedly has had some repairs to rust holes penetrating right through the plating, from the inside, hope this isn't true.

Also although she is 70' long the interior space is not much more than you would get with a good cruising 40 footer.

That would be my fear with this specific boat, the bills of a 60-70 footer but the living space of a 40 footer i.e. not a great combo!

RobT, given your budget of around $150k and a desire for a boat that is metal-hulled and ready to go again (not a DIY project) here is a nice looking option:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/yachts-sail-boats/moored-boats/auction-386813230.htm

131684373_full.jpg

To run a 70' yacht you would want a pretty good budget and experience. The costs of buying any gear to replace on a 70' would generally be significantly (read multiples) more than a 40'. The loads on the rig are much higher and therefore you would need to know what you are doing.

Although cruising yacht sizes have been getting progressively bigger are sail handling technology improves the typical cruising yacht is still around the 40' +/- and it is that size for a reason - good combination of interior volume, easy enough for a couple to handle and can be managed within a reasonable budget.

The purchase price is the easy bit - don't forget the ongoing costs which if this yacht hasn't had a refit and needs upgrading could be significant (possibly even the purchase price again). I would be nervous about spending my entire budget on the purchase price, unless it is new or has had a recent refit and doesn't need any work!) Yachts take twice as long and cost twice as much to repair as you would imagine!

Having said that - great atitude - get out there and do it!

We lived with 7 people (5 boys)on board a 45ft gaff rigged herreshoff for many years. mainly based in marinas around NZ but spent a few years just cruising, (Chatam islands, bay of islands, marlbrough sounds) and they my folks left with the 2 youngest boys in 1995 to protest against the nuclear testing in mururoa and never came back. Now days they still live on the boat but are based in tasmainia and love it over there.

Our boat was pretty budget, without a word of a lie we could fly 8 sails at once and there were no jammers or winches (other than the manual anchor winch for a 50kg anchor...) all block and tackle (and shitty old 3 strand rope...). All the systems were basic but functional, no pressure water or heated water (we used the Kettle), all basic 12 volt systems, wind vane self steering. This kept the running cost very low, there was however alot of varnish work and brass work which kept us young fellas busy.

all in all it was a good mix, a big crew of keen young fellas to pull ropes and help with the maintanence and a low budget home built reasonably big volume boat.

now that all us kids have left home and they dont have a big crew, the oldies have a furling headsail, 4 winches, and a spray dodger (3 things my dad said he would never have on the boat but i guess you got to stop the old biddy from complaining some how...)

They cruised the pacific for many years and still do an anual cruise for a few months each year. i dont know what the budget was, but i would say it was minimal and certainly much below any other 45fter around. They sustained the lifestyle with odd jobs here and there (mostly teaching or building) and yacht deliverys/refit work. we allways had just enough to get by.

It was a great lifestyle and i wouldnt change it for the world.

I hope to be able to give my kids a similar upbringing at some stage but it is just looking more and more out of reach these days. If finacially viable I would be away ASAP but will still contemplate a 2-3month island cruise in the next 5 years.

We did bump into Broadoak in our travels, their boat was called 'Janesta' (something like that anyway), we were just down from them in Mana for a while.

Copy of Maid.JPG

Here's mine, has a new name now so I have no idea what she's called or where she is, custom deck and interior and tall rig. Great boat, I would have taken her anywhere.

post-3043-141887183829.jpg

post-3043-141887183833.jpg

Cav 32 hull from Export Yachts, then taken to Fossill boatbuilding then over the back of New Lynn somewhere. The tall rig made a huge difference, On the first sail I paced a mate with a Farr 33 (Moonshine), there was nothing in it.

The white bottom paint disappeared pretty quickly - OK for racers, but not for cruisers.

post-3043-141887183837.jpg

THis thread is getting some activity, let's have "show us your liveaboard", who else has a photo of a boat they either did liveaboard, are living aboard, intend to liveaboard.

I am with Squid. I haven't read all the posts but we have 42fter which is great but cost us $200k and now owes us $400k and I did a lot myself. Just to antifoul every second year you are looking at $2000-3000 and things such as mooring fees , haulout , rigging is expensive for that size of boat. it is also a lot of boat to handle short handed. Bigger is not necessarily more seaworthy either in fact I think smaller boats are probably stronger because of the scale - take Swirly World only 17ft I think and has been right around NZ and twice across the Tasman.

I would go the Cav 32 - we had one and the couple who now have it have circumnavigated - great boat

Ask Kevin Lidgard - he is a fan

Pic taken aprox two years ago...

Been living on board for several years...(even before she was launched)..

38 foot..great for two up. Would be fine with one or two small kids..

I would go bigger if I had to accomidate teenagers..but they would help in the sailing side of things.

As we are empty nestors, this size is a great combination for us. Can be sailed solo (designed that way) Good engine power. Comfortable below decks.

jannali painted at silvan.JPG

Man Squid, its amazing how much different (better!!) the cav 32 looks with the lower cabin.

It really looks like whole different boat.

Here is another shot of our 'live aboard'. My parents have now been living on the boat for well over 20 years and all us boys still call her 'home'.

Also a shot of the familys whole fleet in hobart, the red one is my eldest brothers boat that he sailed to antactica (snow petrel) and just for squid, another brothers proa that they attempted to sail across the tasman.

Video of that trip and on living aboard with kids here, its worth a watch.

http://www.youtube.com/user/BooBooNZ#p/f/6/VvYFV7C9g5A

For the record, we all did correspondence schooling and it was great so for those with kids dont be afraid to pull them out of school for a year or so. I think it would do them a world of good and really helps them to work out time management and motovation (it didnt take us long to realise we could do 2 days schoolwork in about 4 hrs if we went hard then we could play for a day!) but just make sure they still interact lots with other kids. I went to school for 5th and 6th form (well left 6th form early to go and do the hobart race....) but primary school is really really easy by correspondence with bugger all admin just a few 'fill in the gaps' text books. As soon as you get to 3rd form its a bit harder as you need all the science stuff including bunsen burners, chemicals ect and bits for other subjects.

Copy of photos from windward star 008.jpg

Copy of 3 tucker boats.jpg

Copy of kowhai's pics 257.jpg

Got away with it by lowering the cabin sole a little then getting rid od the v drive and installing a saildrive that tucked under the cockpit (the v drive stuck out that's why the original had the stepped cabin), headroom throughout and looked better. Lost a few beds along the way as well, it had way too many.

Am I allowed another pic?

post-3043-141887183888.jpg

Well i had a good look through Hineka.....the guy was busy welding patched on the hull, im not sure why...the interior was small, one medium sized double, 2 coffin singles and and was so rough, dirty and falling apart that i wouldnt have let my dog live in it...the owner / builder was rude and arrogant and all up a pretty bad experience! It did make me think that a multihull maybe a better choice....would anyone like to give an opinion on this....

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-m ... 550001.htm

before our Christchurch house was trashed i had just finished a 7 month renovation and i have been thinking that i could recycle a lot of the parts and turn it into a comfortable luxury liveaboard??? although i agree with Squid that this world has become consumer obsessed id like a few luxury's although im not sure about the inflatable swimming pool! p.s. is it safe to go offshore with an outboard?

This is our home.

Inflatable pool is the water catcher or wifes new "bath" as she calls it. :mrgreen: should catch a lot of water in the tropical downpours and can also hold it till we go (not sure how long you stay in one place though)

top speed on the gps 12.3 down a wave through the kaori rip, just a lil bit scary, main was on its 3rd reef and quickly took it down after that :shock:

boat came with the 37" tv, not my idea but worth having when living and not sailing. hooked the chartplotter up to it, pretty cool (chartplotter has remote).

we are very very happy with the boat, steel is in near perfect condition inside and out, very lucky find. looked at one and the whole thing was about to go would have been a lot of work and the guy wouldnt budge on price, boat still hasnt sold. keep looking youll find a good one - we did and we nearly missed it :|

yacht.JPG

Squid,

I suspect your Cav may now be called Scoot. Sue (whilst I was on the ice) looked at a 32 with taller rig, no step up on coach house, custom layout and water tight bulkhead. The thing that turned me off was the lack of full standing headroom everywhere. Having spent many years at sea on boats where I couldn't stand straight it was a definite must for our first live aboard.

Rob,

First, how much buy in has your partner got? The more keen she is to do it the more discomfort she will be prepared to face which means the smaller the boat she is prepared to sail on which means the cheaper the purchase and operating costs which means the sooner you can go.

We've been living aboard and cruising (8000+nm miles around NZ & the tropics) for 5 years and are now looking for something bigger BUT, if we hadn't started out small, cheap, and immediately we would still be saving/getting a behemoth ready and still have no idea if it really what we wanted.

Forget Squid's budget forecast. (no disrespect Squid but the guy's a tradesman). We were pretty much broke when we went but due to our skills our problem as we cruised was not finding money but saying no to work offers because we wanted to cruise.