how to get a yacht from Miami to NZ?

3 months would be a pretty quick trip. Go north of Great Bahama Bank , through the Bahamas, Windward Passage to Panama (1st stop), allow up to 2 weeks to get through the canal, non stop to Papeete, couple of days there then home.

3 months is a bit long for me to get a leave pass but it could easily be split up. Easy enough trip, just long, aomewhere around $20k plus expenses for the delivery then you have to deal with duty and GST on arrival.

Big unknown is the state of the boat and its gear before departure and what it would cost to get it ready for the trip, then the wear and tear getting it home.

Probably marginal (look into shipping it but it is a cat and may take up a bit more deck space) unless you consider the trip home part of the fun and write off the wear and tear.

Or take a skipper for the first bit and when you are feeling more confident send him home and go for it. Maybe take over after Panama then slow down and visit some of those rather nice islands on the way.

this sounds a bit like a plan is forming...the trip back would be part of the adventure for me so wear and tear all part of the deal. Sailing through the Panama canal is certainly on my to do list! Is there no kind of cat 1 inspection that could be carried out prior to purchase to asses costs involved in preparing the boat? If I kept the boat registered outside NZ could I avoid GST? or as I am a NZ residence would this be mandatory?

this sounds a bit like a plan is forming...the trip back would be part of the adventure for me so wear and tear all part of the deal.

In which case I would turn right at Panama and go back up the coast of Central America at least as far as La Laz in Baja, some of th ebest cruising in the world. Then when ready leave from Puerto Vallarta or nearby and head off for the Marquesas, herds of boats do that trip every season.

Sailing through the Panama canal is certainly on my to do list! Is there no kind of cat 1 inspection that could be carried out prior to purchase to asses costs involved in preparing the boat?

Nope, you are on your own there, surveyors in that part of the world are pretty much useless.

If I kept the boat registered outside NZ could I avoid GST? or as I am a NZ residence would this be mandatory?

Duty and GST only payable when you return to NZ (if you ever do)

Can't you avoid gst or duty for a while by doing an "offshore" trip every year? I think a gu I knew sailed to Lord Howe Island and back each year to avoid gst or duty. Not sure of this though.

if you were looking for someone with experience to help with a delivery and were offering to cover air fares and food you would have plenty tempted, including me.May be a bit of red tape to sort out in the US before you left though.

Well if you got a couple of experienced crew, my friend and I who are both Kiwis will fly over and split food prices with our own dollar bills. though we'd need to be taught as we are quite inexperienced

.... you should definitely do this trip

Sounds like a great plan!

I would love to help you out. I have sailed quite a bit before, though I'm not a captain, I am competent crew (and got my RYA certification, for what it's worth). I can navigate, sail and cook, I have been on nightwatches before as well, so if you could use an extra pair of hands, let me know!

Janine

Anyone know if the gst and duty is payable on arrival or is there a grace period?

Also what do they require as proof of purchase price? Just a bill of sale or is it something more offical?

Pretty sure you pay the GST when you import the boat into NZ, so as long as you dont exceed the visitors period (not sure of length? under a year though)

you can keep the boat here. Some people manage to get around it by going offshore for a few months every year and returning after to start their NZ "visit" again.

How big is the Tax on imports? is it just GST or its own tax

My understanding is that if the boat is owned and registered off-shore it does not need to be imported into NZ. So you would need to set up a shell company in the Bahamas or somewhere similar which owns the boat and then take it off shore every year. You have probably already blown it by announcing your intentions on this site. You must import it and pay duty and GST if you are a NZ resident owner or if the boat is registered in NZ.

from what i have read you can apply for a tax exemption certificate that lasts for up to 1 year and can be extended under special circumstances. The certificates are aimed at international cruisers and are discretionary. Ive come to the conclusion that you must pay up as its not worth the risk of being turned down and either having to leave, or have your boat seized until payment is made!

Archived