Y88 team has apparently won the BMW World Cup

Murky

This has arrived just now from the Y88 Association:

A few moments ago the Young 88 team won the final of the World BMW Cup held in Auckland !

That makes two years in a row

The Phil Robertson skippered crew was made up from Y88’s Slipstream (Don Greeaway) & Waka Huia (Bill Dalbeth)

More detail to follow

I will post anything else as it comes in.

Second year in a row, does that make it?

BMW Sailing Cup World Final.

NEW ZEALAND WINS FINALS

beating Portugal 3-0

In the Petit Final, Italy beat Malta 2-0

Off the regatta website 2mins ago.

Good on them all, exceptionally well done and a double Big Ups for making it 2 years in a row as well.

Yes, two in a row for the kiwis.

Hope the event continues because it is well run and the sailors particpating are/have been treated brilliantly. Driven around in BMers, well fed and watered etc.

I was bimboing on Tuesday and when not shifting marks was watching Phil and his team consistently sail better than the other crews. The only race they didn't win was because they received a penalty in the start and started last. Even conceding that start they sailed through the fleet and came second on line. Good recovery I thought.

The best cock up on Tuesday was the Italians losing their spin sheets and flying a spinacker shaped BMW flag from their masthead before they could get it under control.

c

Great result - just wondering tho, I saw the crew list in the paper, and I understood it to be an amateur regatta...

I think that is a bit of a stretch to class that team as amatuer isnt it? Or are all the country representive teams from the 'almost' professional bracket?

Not trying to take away from the achievement, just interested.

Archived