I would appreciate your views

Scoma

Price per metre is nonsense. Boats go up in price probably by some exponential or squared law.

A bigger boat of similar level of fitout is more expensive per m than a smaller boat ie. As boats get bigger, they get more expensive per m

P class - 2m, $5000, $2500/m

40ft Cruiser - 12m, $200,000 - $16,667/m

Alfa - 30m - $6,000,000 - $200,000/m

Thats true but we are comparing boats in the same size bracket. this is where the $ per length has a better bearing on value.

we are not compareing a p class with Alfa but a 32 footer with a 34 footter with a 30 footer..

is there a better way other than a vibe?

Can Scoma tell us what he intends to use the boat for, that is the critical factor.

yip! thats a good call at a intersection! 8) :)

after all its no good comparing oranges when he wants bananas. :thumbup:

Thats true but we are comparing boats in the same size bracket. this is where the $ per length has a better bearing on value.

we are not compareing a p class with Alfa but a 32 footer with a 34 footter with a 30 footer..

My point being a 34 footer will be more expensive than a 32 footer than a 30 footer (per m that is). And your numbers agree with that. So still a nonsense comparison.

As I can be a bit of an uber nerd, I have come up with the following equation to describe boat costs in terms of dollars/m.

Boat costs.JPG

Bloody hell Clipper! You are a man with too much time on his hands.

But your result for the W32 of approx 75K is about right IMHO (as Dianaide intimated too).

So where does a new 88 at 200K sit in there? - perhaps you could create a 3D graph with age factored in too :-).

As I can be a bit of an uber nerd, I have come up with the following equation to describe boat costs in terms of dollars/m.

Dude, you have way too much time, Your'e really good.

sick but good :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bloody hell Clipper! You are a man with too much time on his hands.

But your result for the W32 of approx 75K is about right IMHO (as Dianaide intimated too).

So where does a new 88 at 200K sit in there? - perhaps you could create a 3D graph with age factored in too :-).

It took a good 3-4 mins.

The 75k seems a good estimate.

A 3D graph would be hard without a sizable sample size. Perhaps a new boat curve could be created though....

My point being a 34 footer will be more expensive than a 32 footer than a 30 footer (per m that is). And your numbers agree with that. So still a nonsense comparison.

yeah i like that Clipper. that looks the bomb.

Any trademarks?

My "of the cuff " scenario" was just a "food for thought" kinda thang.

if you could develop that equation based on averages then you would have the "ultimte" guesstimate"

After all there is no real equation to calculate this kinda stuff. as all boats are spec'd and equip'd differently

hay he says he just wants to cruise it but y not a 930 (faster than a y88) i race on 1 with a inboard and have raced on one in the past with a outboard ether way they are good under motor but the outboard is noise but the boat he is looking at does look to be in good condition (2 cents)

I'd make a silly offer on the White and see what happens. At the end of the day as long as it isn't a complete pig rooter and sails OK to windward, it's more than 99.something of the population have and you're floating.

You could get a 930 for 1/3 the price but they aren't crash hot family cruisers really. Like 88's they are good when the kiddies are smaller but the bloody things grow up and just take food and space. Or you could pay a lot more for a 1020 for example yet only gain a small amount of space while having to work extra weekends to pay for it.

You are cruising so an extra 20mins back from Kawau makes no difference at all.

It's a nice yacht and a tidy well set-up looking one. Go on, make a stupid offer, you just never know...

This whole 'resale value' thing is just wrong to me. I've seen so many build a house, boat or whatever with resale near the top of the priority list only to keep it for years with bits and bobs they don't want. Buy it, use it and worry about flicking it later. Anyway boats like this don't change price much over time if you don't beat the crap out of them or go near Japanese whaling ships.

I'd make a silly offer on the White and see what happens. At the end of the day as long as it isn't a complete pig rooter and sails OK to windward, it's more than 99.something of the population have and you're floating.

You could get a 930 for 1/3 the price but they aren't crash hot family cruisers really. Like 88's they are good when the kiddies are smaller but the bloody things grow up and just take food and space. Or you could pay a lot more for a 1020 for example yet only gain a small amount of space while having to work extra weekends to pay for it.

You are cruising so an extra 20mins back from Kawau makes no difference at all.

It's a nice yacht and a tidy well set-up looking one. Go on, make a stupid offer, you just never know...

This whole 'resale value' thing is just wrong to me. I've seen so many build a house, boat or whatever with resale near the top of the priority list only to keep it for years with bits and bobs they don't want. Buy it, use it and worry about flicking it later. Anyway boats like this don't change price much over time if you don't beat the crap out of them or go near Japanese whaling ships.

Yeah i would try 69K and see what happens. After all the market is quite flat and there is plenty of stock.

Chris White was a Whangerei based boat builder/designer - guessing he was a bit of a sailer too - he won a RNI 2 handed in one of his own designs at some point (I think).

I never met the guy, I tried tracking him down when I was trying to get cat 3 for Lionmark but no luck - I think he might now be in OZ.

Some of his other designs/builds I know of and race are Whitebait (40 footer) and ZGY (26 foot) which is currently for sale:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 567704.htm

White 32 - I have old boating magazine article at home from when they were first produced with thinking behind the design and vital stats etc.

If you are interested PM me and I can fax it to you. I think around 20 were made and at least half shipped to Japan.

The rest seem to be kicking around NZ with maybe 5 in Auckland but we are the only one racing that I know of.

I met him a couple of times and he was a hell of a nice guy with a fairly quiet and unassuming nature. Whitebait was his own boat.

I would possibly have a lead on tracking him down if it was vital to anyone.

Archived